• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is my clutch out?

The car is a 91 with 86k. Recently its been reving the egine up after going into gears, and tonight it grinded going into second and now the pedal is really light and will barely go into gear especialy when parked. Is there fluid i need to check or is the clutch and or tranny done for?

I am sure someone with plenty more knowledge will reply but a quick search will likely yield these results.

First check the reservoir of the clutch master cylinder. It is located to the right of the spare tire compartment and bolted to the rear wall next to the brake reservoir. If there is no fluid, there will be air in the line and prohibit total disengagement of the clutch as you are hence pushing air with the pedal and not fluid. Second is to determine why there is no fluid. Leaking master cylinder, leaking slave cylinder or line could be your issue. For emergency purposes just keeping filling the reservoir and slowly press the clutch pedal allowing the air to seep by the new fluid and then sucking the fluid through the line.

As far as life of the clutch there are a few ways to determine its usefulness or lack thereof. First if in any gear you mash the gas and the engine climbs in RPMs and the car, for a moment, doesn't accelerate, the clutch is slipping. I would typically diagnose this in a higher gear such as 4th or 5th on the highway. Step on the gas and the car will have a slight hesitation or "slipping" feeling before acceleration. It sounds like you are experiencing these symptoms. The stock clutches are pretty resilient but depend very much upon how they are treated.

Hope I helped a little and good luck.

Nick

^^ What he said.

I had the same problem. Master cylinder was leaking. I replaced it and the clutch slave as well at the same time. Works great now. Not fun installing them though.

Is it possible to use the orginal clutch release and pilot bearing? with a exedy clutch?

I filled up the fluid and it seems to work now except for squeaking.

It sounds like your master cylider is leaking. Check you carpet up under the clutch pedal. It's probably wet with fluid. I had my master and slave cylinders replaced on my '92 a couple of years ago. According to Larry B ,who did my work, these tend to go on the older models.

Glad to hear it's working out. I just started a thread about something with my clutch. I'm getting a very light pedal feel for half the travel length of the clutch pedal when depressing it. Tranny won't engage in any gear at all. Is that similar to your experience?

Posted from my iPhone

Is it possible to use the orginal clutch release and pilot bearing? with a exedy clutch?

I would replace these bearings while doing the new clutch. As far as the compatibility with the exedy clutch it should work but I would ask someone more knowledgeable than I.

Nick

Last edited:
Well it was barely engageing when it happended, then i tried it this morning and nothing but i put fluid in and pumped it with the engine on and off and now it works but squeaks but didnt seem to slip at all and went into gear ok

Looks like you have a leak. All you need to do now is find out where it is. There are plenty of discussion and DIY threads to figure it out and replace the bad parts. The master cylinder is a tough one but the slave is easier.

when the RPS went in the slave cylinder was leaking internaly back into the clutch and was there for replaced.

So now the master is leaking. That is why I change them together:).

Always replace the bearings, regardless of condition

Regards,
LarryB

I don't think the master is leaking its still toped off. all bearings were repaced. I was jsut giving an update as to what the problem was nothing is leaking

I would but can't afford to pay for stuff that isn't broken at this time

when the RPS went in the slave cylinder was leaking internaly back into the clutch and was there for replaced.

I had an RPS clutch explode in the exact manner in which you describe. It had only gone about 4k miles. I suspect you got screwed. Keep me informed, if your failure is the same as mine, we may have reason to sue.

:mad:

Last edited:
Too make myself clear RPS just replaced stock clutch and is fine no problems

I was merely stating what was wrong and how it was fixed for reference

So, if nothing is leaking you may just have air in the system. You can easily bleed it by loosening the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and let gravity do it's thing (be sure to keep the reservior filled because it leaks out faster than the braking system does).

So, if nothing is leaking you may just have air in the system. You can easily bleed it by loosening the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and let gravity do it's thing (be sure to keep the reservior filled because it leaks out faster than the braking system does).

This sounds like a lenghty project. How long do you think it would take to complete this task?
Gravity bleeding i mean.

Nothing is wrong everything is fixed as stated

No leaks

No air

My first post was sarcastic since you were clearly getting your feathers ruffled at the thread not dying. Now that I have my keyboard out- and at the risk of speaking for other primers - I respectfully submit that they were trying to be helpful. If your master cylinder was dry something happened to the fluid. Filling the master didn't "fix" the issue. Finding the leak and fixing it is fixing it. If you're ok with for the time-being filing the MC and having the new brake fluid going where the previous fluid went, that's ok too. Your car, your deal - it's ok.

I do think your friends were politely trying to help you.

Over and out.

Back