• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the fuel injector pulse width adjusted for both cylinder banks separately?

Does anyone know whether the stock engine management computer adjusts the fuel injector pulse width for both cylinder banks separately based on input from the oxygen sensors? It would make sense for the EMS to do that, but I just want to make sure it doesn’t adjust both banks the same based on an averaged reading from the O2 sensors.

I’m asking because I’ve had my fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested and as always, there’s a slight variance between the flow rates of the individual injectors. How the EMS adjusts the fuel trim will determine where each injector should best be mounted.

Just to close this question: I recently found out from a reputable source that the PGM-FI in an NSX does vary the fuel injector pulse width at least for each cylinder bank separately.

Also, I read that when an intake manifold has the entrance off to one side, the air doesn’t flow completely evenly into all the runners. The runners closest to the entrance tend to get a bit less air and the intake runners furthest away from the entrance tend to get a bit more. As the intake air rushes into the plenum, it flows past the first runners a bit and when it hits the end of the plenum, it gets pushed into the runners at that end a bit more.

Based on that, the following installation locations for the injectors sound good. If you get your injectors cleaned and flow tested, divide them up into two groups of three when you get them back - the higher flowing three and the lower flowing three. Install the higher flowing three to the rear cylinder bank and the lower flowing three to the front bank. Within the three injectors per bank, install the highest flowing one furthest from the entrance of the intake manifold (furthest from the throttle body) and the lowest flowing one closest to the entrance of the intake manifold. That should get you the most even air/fuel ratios in each cylinder given how the PGM-FI adjusts the fuel trims and how air usually flows in asymmetrical intake manifolds like ours.

Last edited:
Back