• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

is there a drawback to getting soft competition tires?

My 92 has continental 205 15s that are about 20 years old and I put about 10,000 miles. I don't drive the car much but have getting concerned the tires are so old. Since wear is not a problem should I consider street legal competition tires that are soft? Is there a front tire in the stock size that is recommended? The rears are not a old and are toyos.
Thanks for any suggestions.

First I would not mismatch tire types front and rear and I would change them after 4 years whatever the wear. R-compound tire are not a great idea if you only use them on the streets because these tires are not very good on wet. Their grip is ok but aquaplaning limit is lower. I would go with a very good street tire, for example the AD08R which is available in the stock 15/16 sizes.

You should definitly change the tires by age and not by miles. I run tires 10 years absolutely maximum and that's on a DD. I would replace them sooner on the NSX.

If you want the tires lasting many years a soft compound is not a good idea as they start to harden up and build hairline cracks much sooner. That's the reason I'd avoid Bridgestone as well.

There are plenty of Extreme Performance category tires in the OEM 1991-1993 sizes.
BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE-71R, DUNLOP DIREZZA ZII STAR SPEC, KUMHO ECSTA V720, TOYO PROXES R1R, and YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R. All of them have excellent dry and some wet traction.
Personally, I'd replace both the fronts and rears so you have a matched set in age, traction and handling response.

I'd reserve the competition tires for just that, competition.

Back