• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is there a secret to remove wiper arms

This sounds crazy but is there a trick to removing the wiper arms? Removed the cap screws and tried pulling them off, then prying them off, even bought a small puller, it's like they are welded on to the shaft. Is there a key or a pin that needs to be removed??:confused:

Nope, they are on a pinion that has a lot of tiny long teeth. The inside of the wiper arm that latches on the teeth so that when the pinon turns it turns the arm with it. Sounds like yours are on pretty tight (and possibly corroded on). If you can, try to spray some WD-40 up in there with a fexlible straw, tap it several times and then slowly try to pry it up from the bottom rather than trying to pull them off.

Not sure about welded but the springs make the arms angle in a way that they are a tight fit to remove. I just removed mine this weekend to refinish them as the paint has long since faded.

Once you remove the cap screws holding them down, make sure there is no mystery adhesive on there. Press down on where the arm bends a little and carefully try to pull the arm off. If that doesn't work, try to put some lube as it might have just frozen on there due to age, then a towel and a screw driver as a pry should be enough. It shouldn't take too much effort unless the arm has been bent. Then there might be an unforeseen problem.

Good luck....

Not sure about welded but the springs make the arms angle in a way that they are a tight fit to remove. I just removed mine this weekend to refinish them as the paint has long since faded.

Once you remove the cap screws holding them down, make sure there is no mystery adhesive on there. Press down on where the arm bends a little and carefully try to pull the arm off. If that doesn't work, try to put some lube as it might have just frozen on there due to age, then a towel and a screw driver as a pry should be enough. It shouldn't take too much effort unless the arm has been bent. Then there might be an unforeseen problem.

Good luck....

Make sure you are not prying against the glass. It could be a very bad day if you do, especially since the NSX windshield is paper thin;).

I also noticed they did not come off easily, so after removing the cab nuts I just applied about 10 applications of penetrating oil over a couple of days to let it sink in. A little pressure in all directions and they came off. The car looks a lot better with them off and since I don’t drive in the rain they are not needed.

My car lives out near the coast...the wipers were seized/corroded on studs.

I ended using a small joint puller and they came right off without damage. When I put them back on I used anti-seize compound.

Make sure you tape the circumference of the bolt heads so you do not damage them when you remove/install them.

ugh...

Crap, this is something I need to do soon. The black metal wiper-arms are noticeably oxidized & faded. Also the rubber-wipers are shot, but I got a sealed OEM spare pair w/ the plastic faring/flair deflector-whatevers.

SEM #39143 TRIM BLACK says on can "matches factory finish on many auto exterior trim components" and does Also, 3M has similar can

Had a new center console put in (double din) and the paint used was ...SEM bumper coat. 39163 medium smoke. As happy as i could possibly be with the outcome, the applier did helicopter interiors for years as well so there was that too

Had a new center console put in (double din) and the paint used was ...SEM bumper coat. 39163 medium smoke. As happy as i could possibly be with the outcome, the applier did helicopter interiors for years as well so there was that too

Assuming you can also use this on wipers also. Do you have pics of your double din painted? Thanks

Back