• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is there such a thing as the "BEST" exhaust for 2002+ NSX's?

I have a taitec gt lightweight on my nsx. I also have 2 friends that have them on an 04 or 05 nsx. So am pretty sure of what stated above

Many of you sound like you want the best of both worlds; loud at WOT but quiet for cruising. A vendor needs to come up with a vacuum (or boost) actuated bypass valve exhaust system like most of the modern exhaust system these days. Kreissegg, Capristo, even stock BMWs incorporate them.

All renditions of the pretzel exhausts sound awful to me. They may sound good for a portion of the rpm and at WOT but as soon as I hear that wet fart deceleration sound i'd be embarrassed as all hell. That sound is awful. On top of that, they're restrictive. Lose-Lose situation for me.

The gt lightweight I have and have ridden is sound stock from idle to 4500 rpm and the get a nice tone above 4500 rpm.

This exhaust is not loud and does not drone. I'm old and like a subtle tuned exhaust note and that is what you get with the taitec gt lightweight. It is so quiet it could have been a factory sport exhaust option. I think those saying it is loud must be mistaking it for another model of taitec exhaust, (they have several other exhaust models for the nsx and some are loud). But not the gt lightweight

This definatly does not sound like a gtlw. I have one and it is definatly not subtle in anyway. I have headers and test pipes and it's anything but quiet. Even before I swapped headers and test pipes it was way louder than stock.

How old are the gt light weights that are loud. Reason I ask is I have owned 2 of them that I purchased new over the last 3 years. And my fried that is on the 2005 was purchased new a year ago. Wondering if they are quieter now. I am in my forties and the person with 2005 is in their 50s and female. Point being we are old and like quiet and subtle

TAITEC GT-009. :smile:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ULzG94R9xwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Check out the flyby at 01:59.

OMG that has got to be the most awesome and meanest sounding exhaust I've heard. That can't be normal GT Extreme sound ~ is that your supercharger?

WOW *droooling :biggrin:

Don't forget there is probably a lightweight flywheel here too, that fast rev up and down makes it sound different than a stock NSX. It's not just the exhaust sound you are liking, it is the fast rev.

I can tell you for sure that my car with the gt-1 5.0 (5.1 but with a valve solenoid and electronic controller) sounded much different as I had the GT-1 F1 headers. If you are looking at a fujitsubo why are you not looking at this? It was designed with a very unique collector to specifically work with the 5.1 exhaust, and IMO is a better header. The best build quality I have seen and the only header on the market with 6 equal length pipes. It and the fujitsubo which you say you can't find sell for roughly the same price. I might sell mine over the summer if I decide to go turbo too, if you are not in a rush. If you want a louder exhaust than the 5.1, the version 4 is very loud but still has a Similar pitch. It does flow better too.

I think you'd be happy with a header of some sort, test pipes, the exhaust you already own, and if you change your clutch, a lightweight flywheel.

I used to get compliments on my car's sound all the time at the track even from the Ferrari guys running the F1 header, 5.0 exhaust with the valve fully open and taitec test pipes. But I wanted to save weight and changed my 5.0 for an ARC titanium. Went from 28 pounds to 12. Saved 16 pounds. Now I am just loving the sound of the ARC in conjunction with the F1 header. The ARC is not cheap though, 5-6K if you can find one. If I go turbo obviously my header can no longer be used.

Don't forget there is probably a lightweight flywheel here too, that fast rev up and down makes it sound different than a stock NSX. It's not just the exhaust sound you are liking, it is the fast rev.

I can tell you for sure that my car with the gt-1 5.0 (5.1 but with a valve solenoid and electronic controller) sounded much different as I had the GT-1 F1 headers. If you are looking at a fujitsubo why are you not looking at this? It was designed with a very unique collector to specifically work with the 5.1 exhaust, and IMO is a better header. The best build quality I have seen and the only header on the market with 6 equal length pipes. It and the fujitsubo which you say you can't find sell for roughly the same price. I might sell mine over the summer if I decide to go turbo too, if you are not in a rush. If you want a louder exhaust than the 5.1, the version 4 is very loud but still has a Similar pitch. It does flow better too.

I think you'd be happy with a header of some sort, test pipes, the exhaust you already own, and if you change your clutch, a lightweight flywheel.

I used to get compliments on my car's sound all the time at the track even from the Ferrari guys running the F1 header, 5.0 exhaust with the valve fully open and taitec test pipes. But I wanted to save weight and changed my 5.0 for an ARC titanium. Went from 28 pounds to 12. Saved 16 pounds. Now I am just loving the sound of the ARC in conjunction with the F1 header. The ARC is not cheap though, 5-6K if you can find one. If I go turbo obviously my header can no longer be used.

I only said I liked the way his car sound - I know his mod list is $$$$ so there's no way I'm going to mod my NSX like his but I do admire his sound :)

Yes I would love to hear more about your header setup - I'm looking for a definite change in 2012 but with 2 kids by August I have a strict budget nowadays unlike my younger days of living single....haha

rick

TAITEC GT-009. :smile:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ULzG94R9xwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Check out the flyby at 01:59.

I've ALWAYS loved the sound of the TAITEC GT-009, just to my knowledge, its VERY hard to find and VERY expensive. Right?

I've ALWAYS loved the sound of the TAITEC GT-009, just to my knowledge, its VERY hard to find and VERY expensive. Right?

There's nothing to it, it's a single exit ugly exhaust, you can make one just like it pretty cheap.

There's nothing to it, it's a single exit ugly exhaust, you can make one just like it pretty cheap.

I think the entire Taitec system is pretty ugly....nothing special! I hate having the entire muffler / pipes exposed with just a lousy tip on each side - looks so unfinished.....

Exactly, I think it would be fun to make this system.

I would say that if there were a demand for it, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Slebidia made his own, shown below and talked a little bit about in this thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134710&page=2

raceexh.jpg

But ask someone who's got the GT-009 how the low RPM drone is :wink:

I went with a similar design when doing my exhaust. It's basically the lightest, non-droning, freest-flowing exhaust design out there. The only problem was that it didn't sound the best in person. That kicked off a whole other quest....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138291
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146915

The F1 exhaust patent is waiting at the USPTO now.... I don't have a good record at the PTO though, I have one in for nuclear fuel design that has been patent-pending for the past 6 years :frown:

Guys, I know sound is totally "subjective" so let me try and explain this in words.

For me there is a difference between throaty/aggressive and just plain annoying loud - definitely DO NOT want the latter.

Let me give some examples - if any of you are familiar with the factory e46 m3 sound - it is tinny, sounds like a high pitched chain saw and I HATE that sound.

Compare this to my IS-F (V8) with the JoeZ which is a throaty rumble sound that is both deep and also racy at the same time.

There's a few local NSX's here that are just plain annoying in sound. (nothing against the owners if this is what they like) but I hate that sound and I'm pretty sure they are running TP's.

hope this helps you guys distinguish the sound I'm looking for.

ok Mr. Picky, how about the Taitec JGTC? http://youtu.be/qC8wZxCmM2o

Back