• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this a good/feasible idea?

My current gas expenses for my company run at about $800 a month. This is for 1 car and 1 commercial truck. The car is used by my salesman and the truck by me. What I've been thinking of late is to trade in/sell the car ('95 Lincoln Town Car) and purchasing an Insight. The Lincoln does about 20mpg avg. these days. Honda says the Insight with A/C and that CVT transmission does ~55ish. I figure since the gas expenses for the Lincoln alone is ~$400/month I'd save a little more than $200/month switching to a high mileage car. Would the $200 saving cover the monthly payment for the Insight? Is this even a worthwhile idea?

Hard to say. Insurance, estimated maintenance costs, and depreciation are all potentially significant enough factors to make it a better idea or a bad one. Not much history on the Insight, so estimates are risky. Also, their estimated MPG are just that. As they say, "Your milage may vary." I figure that's particularly significant here because someone accustomed to more power will probably work the Insight pretty hard and thereby reduce efficiency.

As sjs says, work the numbers.

Other factors: How does your salesman feel about this? Would he be ticked off? (Do you care?) Does he take clients out and need a car with (a) a back seat and/or (b) a different image than an Insight presents?

I guess what I was hoping for was that someone on this board has some experience with the Insight and knows a bit about ownership costs and the actual mileage. I think I've read on this board that there is a slight waiting period but I can't recall. I wish Honda was doing some sort of 0% financing 'cause then I wouldn't have to think twice
smile.gif

There isn't really an image I'm trying to get across seeing as how I'm in the business of supplying dry cleaners with there hanger needs. Yea, pretty dull ain't it but as long as the money is rolling in I'm not complaining
cool.gif
No entertaining of clients, atleast not in the Insight. It will only be used to get my salesman from dry cleaner to dry cleaner. Don't think he'll complain either since the salesman is my dad. He has 10% ownership and can't gripe about the way I've been running things since incorporating.

Insurance: Call your insurance agent/company for a quote.

Reliability: It's a Honda. 'Nuff said.

Depreciation: Again, will probably hold its value well, like just about all the cars that Honda builds.

Maintenance Costs: Call the service department at your local dealer and ask them how much it is, or whether it's any different from the other Honda models.

Gas mileage: Ask the service department at your local dealer. They'll know if it's not as advertised.

This may be somewhat heretical on a Honda/Acura board, but you might want to consider the Toyota Prius hybrid. Neither car is a looker IMO, but at least you retain a back seat and somewhat more conventional styling....

Good luck!

I owned the Insight and I really loved it. The mileage I got varied between 55 mpg and 65 mpg, with some trips getting into the 70's!

There is a learning curve that goes with ownership of this car. After mastering the balance of power vs. economy it can be driven to get truly outstanding mileage. If, however, the car is driven hard without any regard to economy the mileage can be down into the low 50's or even the 40's. You'll have to make sure to get your sales people on board with your mileage desires.

I was filling the tank about every three weeks for about $10! That was driving mostly around town between 500 to 600 miles.

Also, bear in mind that there is limited storage space in the Insight. There was plenty for my needs, but your needs may vary.

Lastly, I think most people would applaud you for your forward-thinking in purchasing this type of "responsible" vehicle for your business. Come on, screw the mileage, do it for the planet!

Originally posted by Aluminum:
This may be somewhat heretical on a Honda/Acura board, but you might want to consider the Toyota Prius hybrid. Neither car is a looker IMO, but at least you retain a back seat and somewhat more conventional styling....

Good luck!

Thanks, didn't think of the Prius at all. Only Toyota contender I could conjure up was the Echo.

Back