• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this a odometer rollback? JH4NA1155MT001781

Is this a odometer rollback?

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1991 ACURA NSX (JH4NA1155MT001781). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX analyzed the mileage history for this 1991 ACURA NSX (JH4NA1155MT001781) and found an inconsistent odometer reading. CARFAX is uncertain whether this is a rollback or a source-level clerical error. Please verify this mileage with your dealer or a qualified mechanic.

Reading reported on <b>08/07/1998: 79,204 miles</b>
Inconsistent reading on <b>08/11/2000: 62,123 miles </b>
No reading available for verification: Not available

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 6 record(s) for this 1991 ACURA NSX (JH4NA1155MT001781).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

10/24/1995 33,248 Virginia
Inspection Station
Springfield, VA
Passed emissions inspection

10/26/1995 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Clifton, VA
Title or registration issued

10/26/1995 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fairfax, VA
Title or registration issued

10/29/1996 53,039 Virginia
Inspection Station
Springfield, VA

<b>08/07/1998 79,204</b> Virginia
Inspection Station
Springfield, VA

<b>08/11/2000 62,123</b> New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Harrison, NJ
Title #NK20002240127
Title issued
INCONSISTENT ODOMETER READING

CARFAX AdvisorTM
CARFAX analyzed this mileage history and is uncertain whether this reading represents a rollback or a clerical error. Please verify the mileage with your dealer or a qualified mechanic.

Yes at first glance it looks like a roll back but as it says it could be a clerical error (typo). I would see if you can get any service paper work that has mileage and dates on to show that the odometer has not been tampered with.

Yup, thats what it looks like. Even though it might not be, and maybe a typo, this would make me not buy the car, especially a NSX. Just my 2 cents...

I'm assuming you're looking to purchase that car? How many miles did he put in the advertisement?

While it might be a clerical error, consider that if you buy it, whenever you get ready to sell you'll have to explain that to the next buyer. Not fun.

Take care,
Nick.

deadeye said:
I'm assuming you're looking to purchase that car? How many miles did he put in the advertisement?

He advertised it at 70,000 miles. Here is some info I got from an email from the seller when I asked about this.

Odd. That was before I bought the car. By the condition I would think it was a clerical error, but to be honest I really don't know what happened. I just bought the car a few weeks ago so I'm not sure of it's exact history, other than what we can see on that carfax. I was locked into a non-refundable deposit when I realized there is no way I can afford to own an NSX right now. I've had the car up on a rack and it looks 70k, no bushing wear or anything like that, and doesn't leak a drop. The guy I bought the car from didn't have any of the records, short of the oil pan gasket being done. He had owned the car for about a year.

I think I will continue to look.

Last edited:
I recently checked a carfax on my wife's car and also found an odometer error which was definitely clerical. It had 51,XXX miles on it when it was registered in Arizona. When I checked the carfax it had the mileage at the time of registry as 66,XXX. I notified them of the error but to the best of my knowledge it was never corrected. Carfax is not infallible.

he bought the car a few weeks ago and now is selling it with attached "SOB" story and a mileage issue...........MOVE ON...there are plenty of "clean" other cars out there. If you buy this car, I have a large art deco red bridge for sale in SF priced reasonably....please contact me.

actually

i'm selling the car as is because it's not what i want. unlike the previous seller, i'm completely candid and truthful about the car possibly being a rollback.
the guy i bought the car from misrepresented the condition of the car. foolishly, i gave him a deposit without seeing the car in person. he stated that he would not return my deposit so i bought the car with every intent to resell it.

There have been alot of threads lately about losing deposits and sellers withholding them. I guess the moral of the story is to get everything in writing.

How much was the deposit, if I may ask?

Nick.

I think I'd run. Too many red flags raised IMHO. If, and only if, you could track down the previous owners and put your hands on the cars service records etc... would I want to own this car. Like Deadeye mentioned above, I'd hate to try and explain this to the next owner if I didn't have a nice stack of papers in front of me to back it up.

Back