• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this right??

Is this how the door panel plastic cover is supposed to be attached to the door?
Do you recommend that I use a product to completely remove this goop from the door? (what product?)
And how should I stick the plastic back on when I'm done?

Attachments

• IMG_20140322_192256_841.jpg
    IMG_20140322_192256_841.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 247
This is a photo from a DIY speaker removal on the wiki.
bose_doorconnectors.jpg

That appears to be normal.

I would imagine most remove the plastic film, clean off the adhesive, and leave it bare.
If you were to apply your own plastic film after, I bet some double sided tape would work well.

Lucas

Door Panel Shield Adhesive. P/N 08712-0003. Putty-like adhesive that reattaches the plastic cover (rain
protector) between the door and the door panel. Order from your Acura Dealer.

Yep that's what its supposed to look like. I believe its soft and pliable when new and then as it degrades it gets brittle (along with the plastic moisture barrier) and loses its stickiness. One of my doors had a more recently been updated with a new regulator and that side was far softer than the driver side and could be reused. I tried using a silicone caulking from home depot this time around to reseal mine because it was readily available and seemed similar. About 10 years later its still pliable and seemed to peel off a lot cleaner than Honda's stuff.

A credit card is decent at scraping off the majority without scratching up your door, then you can follow that with more of a solvent to get the rest off. I don't remember what I ended up using but I think a goo gone type product would probably work. Getting it off the plastic is probably lot harder. I think the replacement parts for those were around $70 each.

Last edited:
Are you saying a new plastic barrier is $70?! I was thinking about just getting a new one (if possible) but not for $70. Mine is brittle and did tear a few times but I'll repair that with tape for free.
Yep that's what its supposed to look like. I believe its soft and pliable when new and then as it degrades it gets brittle (along with the plastic moisture barrier) and loses its stickiness. One of my doors had a more recently been updated with a new regulator and that side was far softer than the driver side and could be reused. I tried using a silicone caulking from home depot this time around to reseal mine because it was readily available and seemed similar. About 10 years later its still pliable and seemed to peel off a lot cleaner than Honda's stuff.

A credit card is decent at scraping off the majority without scratching up your door, then you can follow that with more of a solvent to get the rest off. I don't remember what I ended up using but I think a goo gone type product would probably work. Getting it off the plastic is probably lot harder. I think the replacement parts for those were around $70 each.

I've used silicone seal over top of the oem sticky white stuff and it's worked fine.
Never bothered to remove the old material.
I found duct tape worked well to cover the inevitable splits.
When mine is finally too brittle to carry on, I thought I'd get some 6 mil poly or tyvek and using the old one as a pattern, make a new one.

Back