• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this the new NSX?

THat's really KOOL !! Where did you get this pic from? If this is a spy pic from Honda's R&D and the Modena-esque styling may even suggest that this is indeed the new NSX, since Honda's target goal is to meet or exceed the performance envelope of the Modena. Styling-wise, I can see that Honda is trying to mimic the Modena as well, minus the wide stance. The only gripe that I may have of this new design is the shape of the headlights. Too big and wedgy for my tastes. I also noticed that it's a left-hand drive, which suggest that the car may well be built here in the U.S. (= mass-produced), which will bring the price down considerably. I've talked to a guy who works for Acura that told me it's going to be priced at around $50,000. I'll have one of these please!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
1999 Zanardi Edition NSX #50
2001 Silver/Red S2000

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 22 July 2002).]

Sweet picture. Me like
smile.gif
. If it puts up competitive performance numbers, I gotta start saving my pennies *now*.

-Bob

I am not fond of the car's look. Perhaps I have to take a look at more pictures. If it is truly the new NSX, I don't like it since it does not resemble the initial Formula series car look, that we have all come to enjoy and love about the NSX. It lookes like a Japanese copycat of a Modena. I would think that Honda would be more creative and come out with its own styling.

Regarding a $50,000 price tag. That would cause a lot of resentment in NSX owners and I don't think Honda would want to do that. Since it does not put us in a class of our own, but more at the Corvette level. (Not bashing Vettes, but we can all agree that price and rarity is part of the prestige of the NSX).

Just my thoughts,
Khue

Originally posted by true:
I'm not a photoshop expert..but off the top it looks like it may not a clean pic. The side vents don't look right.

I'm not either, but if it is they did a good job on it b/c the reflection of the yellow stripes on the side. Also this car is driving on the right side of the 4 lane and the road has curbs in the pic. Is that any indication of the cars location ? "Test track???"

Originally posted by Zanardi 50:
it's going to be priced at around $50,000.

That's one rumor. $143,000 is another. And there are a bunch of numbers in between. I think we should start a betting pool.

Originally posted by true:
Unless Honda USA is designing it, why would it be left hand drive? I'm not a photoshop expert..but off the top it looks like it may not a clean pic. The side vents don't look right.

Agreed. The headlights also don't look right to me. The reflection would be easy if the image was based on a different car.

I would agree with the hack-job theory.

Damn it Mr Robbins, you are THE MAN !! MY HATS OFF TO YOU FOR YOUR RESOURCEFULNESS !!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Now I have to work my ass off to save even more $$ for this PS-II AND the new NSX!!!
biggrin.gif

My $5.00 bet goes to the ~$50,000 price tag on the new NSX. The Acura guy I've spoken to seemed to be reliable, and according to him, a 450HP 3.5 v-6 isn't too bad either. Yes that's right, kiddos, the rumor of a V-6 new NSX is true. If you get a chance, pick up a current copy of BESTCAR magazine at your local Japanese bookstore and it had this article about the new Legend/RL with a supercharged V-6 putting out 400+HP (provided that you can read Japanese, of course!
tongue.gif
) Not too shabby for a luxury sedan, non?
biggrin.gif

If you get a chance, pick up a current copy of BESTCAR magazine at your local Japanese bookstore and it had this article about the new Legend/RL with a supercharged V-6 putting out 400+HP ...

A production model with SC from Honda? Fact or speculation? Now where are those posts by someone who was certain that they would never build a boosted engine?

If honda comes out with a 400 HP+ supercharged V6 for the next NSX, I will be really dissapointed. We can already do that now. We need something a little more revolutionary.

That car is gorgeous! I would have gladly accepted it as the next NSX. It really almost looks like a natrual evolution of the NSX. Oh well...

------------------
1993 White NSX, 70K miles and running STRONG!

I just can't imagine a $50,000 price tag and over 400 HP. If I actually thought that possible I would immediately sell my car. The $5K hit annually is enough. In all of my experience I have never known a car company to so severely drop the price of the next genration model. I would place my bet near the $100K level. If Honda does drop the price to the $50K level I will never purchase another Honda product and I am a very loyal Honda customer.

Best Car's reports are more guesses and rumors than anything. They also predicted a V10 then V8 engine. I'd still be very surprised if Honda went with a SC application considering all but one of their production cars has been NA (and the only one exception being turbocharged).

Honda is good at keeping things tight until release day.

Mad props to the Koreans for that body work though. If you look at their website, you will see that this company has apparently designed a couple of Hyundai's sport coupes including the new Tiburon (which has Ferrari cues as well).

-- Chris

Damn it Mr Robbins, you are THE MAN !! MY HATS OFF TO YOU FOR YOUR RESOURCEFULNESS !!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Now I have to work my ass off to save even more $$ for this PS-II AND the new NSX!!!
biggrin.gif

My $5.00 bet goes to the ~$50,000 price tag on the new NSX. The Acura guy I've spoken to seemed to be reliable, and according to him, a 450HP 3.5 v-6 isn't too bad either. Yes that's right, kiddos, the rumor of a V-6 new NSX is true. If you get a chance, pick up a current copy of BESTCAR magazine at your local Japanese bookstore and it had this article about the new Legend/RL with a supercharged V-6 putting out 400+HP (provided that you can read Japanese, of course!
tongue.gif
) Not too shabby for a luxury sedan, non?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Originally posted by wildrice:
I just can't imagine a $50,000 price tag and over 400 HP.

The only car on the market that comes anywhere close to that is the Z06 (which is why it's lauded as bang for the buck - but Corvettes have garnered that title for years).

The $5K hit annually is enough.

That's only for the first couple of years, though (and those who bought carefully under various incentive programs won't even see that much).

In all of my experience I have never known a car company to so severely drop the price of the next genration model.

I can't think of any instance in which the next generation came out lower by more than a few grand. The biggest price drop I can recall was $10K on a Supra model, but that wasn't a change in generations, just a price drop year to year.

If Honda does drop the price to the $50K level I will never purchase another Honda product and I am a very loyal Honda customer.

Then you'll have to get rid of your Honda scooter and S2000, too!
biggrin.gif

If Honda does drop the price to the $50K level I will never purchase another Honda product and I am a very loyal Honda customer.[/B]

I don't understand this at all. I think a $50K NSX would be fantastic, and I would buy one immediately (assuming, y'know, it was a GOOD car and all..).

But you would boycott a fine brand that you are loyal to, for the rest of your life? There must be more to this than just the current cars depreciating - could you elaborate please, why would this be such a terrible affront?

I just can't imagine a $50,000 price tag and over 400 HP. ...

Why not? Besides the Z06, try imagining if the S2000 had come first rather than after the NSX. Then imagine that they decided the Acura division needed something more, so they build something like the NSX but with a few less of the pricey bits and less hand-built, and multiply the price by 1.4. Sounds like 400 HP @ $50k.

If I was forced to bet one way of the other I’d bet against it, but not by much. Think how appealing it is. The original was acclaimed as a not-so-rich man’s exotic that was as civilized and reliable as the Volvo on the other side of the garage. But despite that and the fact that it was hand-built out of impressive bits (Aluminum chassis, body and suspension, Titanium alloy rods etc.) and had superlative paint, it failed to earn the kind of snob appeal enjoyed by older marques with a romantic history of not very good cars. So, why not move the other direction a bit? Build an exotic for the average man (or woman) that has all the real benefits of the NSX without even trying to impress the snobs. Imagine the press if they build a Modena for $50K. I don’t mean like Chevy does with the Vette, I mean a car that truly compares in every real aspect of quality and performance. Just like they did with the first NSX, but for the masses. If they can do it, and I think they could, it would truly shake up the industry.

I just can't imagine a $50,000 price tag and over 400 HP. .

Let's not forget that the original NSX only cost 60K. Not a far stretch from the Z06. It could be possible; however, I don't see Honda taking that route.

The 97 RL with more standard features was reduced by nearly $2000 from the 96 model, although with the 96 replaced the Legend. I know, I bought a 96 when it came out. You can guess I was real happy about that
frown.gif

I'm no snob, but if a massed produced model comes out that is any less than what took place in 91 i'm not sure if I would be buying. One of the things that drew me to the car is the unique quality & styling and the fact that so few are seen on the road. I really don't care what other people on the road think of me, nor due i care about the status symbol crap, but I don't want to see the same car I drive in vette or new 350Z like numbers all over the place.

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
...I'm no snob, ... I really don't care what other people on the road think of me, nor due i care about the status symbol crap, but I don't want to see the same car I drive in vette or new 350Z like numbers all over the place.

Well, as much as I'd like to think I'm above even that, and I do try, it would be dishonest to say that I don't feel a bit of that myself. I first realized this when the appeal of an M Roadster seemed somehow diminished by the number of Z3s I saw on the road. I'd still like to own one, but there is a difference. Hmmm... perhaps meditation would help.

BTW, comparisons to and discussions about the M3 are so common here, but seldom if ever the M Roadster or Coupe. How come? They seem like a much more logical choice for someone who wants a sports car but prefers a new car at $50k rather than a used one.

My point was the potential financial devasation that a $50K, 400+ HP, car could create i.e., massive depreciation from current prices. And Snob has nothing to do with it. When I went shopping I wanted a two seater sportscar and looked at the Z06, Lotus V8, Viper, Ferrari 348 and Porsche 911 choose the NSX. I just love sportscars!!

I liked the 2000 Lotus Twin Turbo V8 the best but didn't want to deal with the maintenance issues and potential costs.

Originally posted by NetViper:
Let's not forget that the original NSX only cost 60K. Not a far stretch from the Z06. It could be possible; however, I don't see Honda taking that route.

Your point dismisses the "Time value of money principle." The 60K price tag was a decade or more ago. A simple present dollar calculation using 3% inflation would put that number well above the current sticker on a Z06.

Back