• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

It's official(ly a prototype)

Check out the tasty <a href="http://www.honda.co.jp/motorshow/2001/auto/special/NSXR-p/p05/index.html">black coolant overflow bottle</a>.

-Russ

Well, pictures can only do so much...but that video made me a believer
smile.gif

Much nicer being able to see the whole interior at the same time, as well as watching the car corner. That was pretty damn sweet!

Looking at that engine bay, I can't help but notice how it looks like a 'done at home' project. The coolant bottle is obviously painted (as you can see the fill line and edge that bolts to the firewall). I think many of us have done a better job. Also, the engine plate looks... cheap. I can't help but wonder why it took 12+ years to come up with this. Does this shirt term fix indicate Honda's disinterest in the car, or was this bridge design completed because the smoking v2.0 just couldn't be completed in time?

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

I didn't expect major re-design when rumours were speculating of the re-skinned NSXs. I mean think about it, how the heck would the division, which I believe is not profitable, justify spending large amount of money just to "re-skin" the entire car? That would costs a gazillion bucks. I would think that if anything is worth to comment on, it would be on the 2004 version.

Pics don't do no justice. Let's wait for the actual stuff to show up in the show room and judge later. Lest you will have to eat back your own words... like some already did after seeing more pics. And plus this is the R... the "normal" edition might look simpler.
biggrin.gif

After looking Andrie's posted link to the video I have to say that it makes to me a completely different impression... the wing still remains too aftermarket for my taste and it should have been more "in line" with the existing tailight curved form. The headlight instead are very nice when seen in the moving car!

But the same happens for our "old" generation NSXs in my opinion. Ok, we love them so much and we already know how beautiful they really are, but if you never saw once live and you look at them in picture they do not appear so exotic as they in reality are. In a video they already look much better and "live" they are a complete better experience!
So I cannot wait to see a facelifted one in a showroom too...

There are a few things that I did like on the NSXR. Odds and ends that I would want to update my NSX with. The boot on the shifer looked nice. The carbon fiber gauges did too.
I like the rear diffuser, but I would have to see it in person before making a judgement on that. Same with the headlights.
I definitely liked the hood. Wondering what (if) it will look like when it's the same color as the body.
I'm taking a closer look for the simple reason that my NSX is a lot of the way there already. I have already done all white w/ white wheels (excpet my wheels look better). The base is there if I wanted to transform it into an NSXR. Although it would never truly be one, just look almost exactly like one. It already looks like the first NSXR... now it just needs some updating.
biggrin.gif

It would depend on the availability and price for some of those parts in the US.

Okay I'll chime in. I think the NSX-R looks okay, not bad, not wow, but okay. I'm not that happy with the lines from the front lights and nose but could probably live with them. Would I want one? That's a hard question for me to answer still. I'm not sure of the advantages over a Z or just modifying a std NSX.

On the other hand the NSX-R looks like just modified NSX that anyone who on this forum could build. Every change looks like an aftermarket add-on. I'm not saying they look bad, just that I know I could reproduce every change. How much effort it would take might vary from upgrade to upgrade but I think it could be done.

So NSX-R would save time if it had the upgrades I was interested in having. If I thought I needed to modify the NSX-R to reach my goals then I'd probably just pass and start with either the Z or std NSX. JMHO.

------------------
hejo
Speed%20of%20Heat.gif

Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 26 October 2001).]

A bit off-topic, but I was surfing through those pages and came upon the type R Civic.
Check out this shifter. Wonder how it works, feels... interesting. I imagine your arm would get tired having to keep it up there for a while.

View

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 26 October 2001).]

A bit off-topic, but I was surfing through those pages and came upon the type R Civic.
Check out this shifter. Wonder how it works, feels... interesting. I imagine your arm would get tired having to keep it up there for a while.

I think that new civic looks terrible. Even the type-R is ugly. I will certainly not be trading in my Si for the new version.
I am curious about the shifter. It looks awkward to me. They said it was supposed to be like driving rally car. Who knows. I will test drive one when they come in (Si, not Type R) just to check it out.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

the division, which I believe is not profitable

AFAIK Acura Division is profitable. They're losing money on NSX's, but making money on the TL's and CL's and MDX's, all of which are selling like the proverbial hotcakes.

The coolant bottle is obviously painted (as you can see the fill line and edge that bolts to the firewall).

The coolant bottle is not painted but its upper half covered by a removable black rubber piece. Always has been on the Japanese editions with mesh engine cover.

I've driven one of the new civics (not a Type R though
frown.gif
) as a loaner when my NSX was being serviced - they're actually made in the UK in Honda's Swindon plant.

The shifter looks strange but the position and feel is great - it's pretty short throw and it's *much* closer to the steering wheel than traditional mounting allows, so you get to keep your hands on the wheel more.

You do start with the feeling that you're driving a Renault 4 or Citroen 2CV though... both of which had dash-mounted changes.

Hugo

Originally posted by andreas:
The coolant bottle is not painted but its upper half covered by a removable black rubber piece. Always has been on the Japanese editions with mesh engine cover.

I stand corrected.

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Originally posted by andreas:

What's the difficulty level in having one of these rubber covers shipped to a US address?

-Russ
'91 black/black

Are there any stats/numbers for it yet?

im interested in the internal changes more than any external changes myself...

btw this is my first post, im just a big nsx fan, i dont have enough money to buy one so dont kick me out
wink.gif

I'd take one of these rubber covers too if that's all it is - though I think it is molded in that color.

Originally posted by Russ:
What's the difficulty level in having one of these rubber covers shipped to a US address?

-Russ
'91 black/black

Originally posted by s2ktaxi:
I'd take one of these rubber covers too if that's all it is - though I think it is molded in that color.

It's most definitely a rubber piece, I've seen it up close both on and off the bottle. It only covers the bottle's upper half and I second Chris' opinion that you can do better by painting it.

Originally posted by NetViper:
That Video is cool! I love that NSX-R!!!

I think its a reasonable EVOLUTION of the base car... except for the headlights, most of the parts are available in the aftermarket

Reminds me of my car -- http://www.geocities.com/mcantoria/mc-nsx.html

Except I like my color better
smile.gif
Right Miled?

That rear diffuser looks much like the one on last year's Viper concept car.

What I still hope they do (in addition to hopefully lightening the car) is retain the track-ready SUSPENSION setup of the original NSX-R, and hopefully (ala Vette C5 Z06) give it a modest power boost.

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 29 October 2001).]

Originally posted by Electro:
*ahem* does anyone know how much this car will be???

-E

I've heard no one mention the fact that the front and rear wheels are the same diameter. One of the dynamic design cues that I have always loved is the different wheel diameters front to rear. I wonder what the reason was for changing.

Originally posted by mclaren-honda:
I've heard no one mention the fact that the front and rear wheels are the same diameter. One of the dynamic design cues that I have always loved is the different wheel diameters front to rear. I wonder what the reason was for changing.

Ummm... my question was how much is this car!? (or how much is the 2002 US NSX?!?)

According to what I have heard, the cost of the 2002 model should remain relitivley unchanged at mid 80's. I've heard; however, that the 2nd generation NSX (2003 or 4?) will push up over 100,000. I guess that's just speculation in part, but I'm pretty sure the reskinned one will remain unchanged.

Hello All,

Having just been back from Japan attending the NSX Fiesta and the Tokyo Motor Show, I have seen both the prototype NSX-R AND the production NSX-R and normal coupe versions in person. The production models were shown to us at the Fiesta, though they strictly prohibited photography.

Here are the differences, according to my recollection (in the case of the production models), and to photos, observations, and the Honda 2001 brochure they were handing out at the Motor show (if I don't mention it, they are probably the same):

Differences between the prototype NSX-R and the normal NSX as we know it here in the US, as well as the previous Type-S zero it is replacing:

1. even lower weight than the S-Zero, through the use of carbon fiber and other lightweight materials "wherever possible."

2. Type-R dedicated 17-inch wheels front and rear, with 215/40/17 tires in the front, and 255/40/17 tires in the rear.

3. Carbon fiber hood with air outlets.

4. Carbon fiber rear spoiler.

5. Carbon fiber engine compartment cover.

6. Carbon fiber side mirrors.

7. Full carbon fiber underbody ground effects. That small rear diffuser you see is actually part of a full underbody groung effects cover, complete with tunnels and fins underside. The prototype at the Motor show was actually mounted on a pedestal that tilted the car a full 90 degrees vertical, allowing us the full view of the underbody.

8. Restyled rear tailight lens, with ovoid amber turn signals, in a background of red.

9. Restyled rear under bumper valance.

10. And of course, the obvious, new, exposed headlights, which required a restyled hood, and bumper cover. Also has restyled openings for the AC and radiator.

11. New side skirts, more square that tied in with door cladding on the lower edge.

12. And what was not so obvious in the interior shot in that video cited earlier, was that the gauges were surrounded by a ring that has a red anodized color to it.

Now, the differences between the "prototype" and the production NSX-R:

1. Carbon fiber hood with air ducts now painted body color.

2. Carbon fiber side mirrors now painted body color.

3. Loss of the full underbody ground effects, though they still claim that the new NSX-R still has much more downforce than the model it replaces.

The differences between the production NSX-R and the normal coupe:

1. All aluminum construction, similar to our present NSX.

2. Normal hood without the air duct.

3. "Normal" looking rear wing, but with an interesting spoiler mounted on the trailing edge of the trunk lid, underneath the usual wing.

Other tidbits circulating at the Fiesta:

1. Mr. Uehara promised us "increased performance" in the new NSX lineup, much more so with the new NSX-R. No performance data given.

2. Rumor has it that they are thinking of bringing the NSX-R over here to the States.

3. Japanese owners are also divided as to whether they like the new style or not. From what I can tell, it is a 50-50 split.

I think that is it.

On a slightly different note, I had a great, great time in Japan. Too many things to do and see, too little time.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

Regards,

Alex

------------------
AV Motorsport
Importer of Gruppe M and other fine Performance Parts from Japan
Cell (562)896-6399
Voice/Fax(562)690-8479
Email [email protected]

Back