• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

J32A engine (CL type S) in NSX

Does anyone out there know if its possible to fit a J32 2003 Acura CL type S engine in to an NSX, does it bolt up to the trans at least?

after looking closely at them both, they look very similar besides the NSX powertrain is a front wheel drive setup that has been placed in the rear, it would be nice to stick the engine and 6 spd trans from the CL in to the NSX

Last edited:
LoL, forgot all about that! Engine rotation is opposite direction (Or something like that)! Now I remember this discussion coming up several times before.

LoL, forgot all about that! Engine rotation is opposite direction (Or something like that)! Now I remember this discussion coming up several times before.

Hmm, I thought they rotated the same direction, engine and trans are in the same position, the trans is on the driver side of both cars

The topic has come up before here.

so I guess the only way would be to use the engine and trans from a 03 CL type S, I always thought they rotated the same direction, I own one of each, I'm gonna take a look at them tomorrow. The CL has a wonderful trans and engine

Last edited:
so I guess the only way would be to use the engine and trans from a 03 CL type S, I always thought they rotated the same direction, I own one of each, I'm gonna take a look at them tomorrow. The CL has a wonderful trans and engine

I just took a look at my NSX and 02 TL-s and both engines turn clockwise, as viewed from the front of the engine, which is on the passenger side.

I have looked at the bolt pattern's to both and they seem similar. As to whether the 2 would fit and work well together that is another story.

Having an 02 TL-s with 5 sp auto, there is no way I'd ever make the effort to swap a J32a into my 92 NSX (5 sp). Now if we were talking the new J37 with 6 speed that is a different story. But none of the J series engines will ever be as sweet as the NSX DOHC engine.

Miner

I just took a look at my NSX and 02 TL-s and both engines turn clockwise, as viewed from the front of the engine, which is on the passenger side.

I have looked at the bolt pattern's to both and they seem similar. As to whether the 2 would fit and work well together that is another story.

Having an 02 TL-s with 5 sp auto, there is no way I'd ever make the effort to swap a J32a into my 92 NSX (5 sp). Now if we were talking the new J37 with 6 speed that is a different story. But none of the J series engines will ever be as sweet as the NSX DOHC engine.

Miner

u must have never driven a 6 spd CL, I took my CL (120k)to the dyno that I ported polished, shaved heads and manifold ( http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/cb169/?action=view&current=109_0273.jpg ), I, H, E, and make 282whp and 247 torque untuned and on a 75 shot made 341whp and 363 torque, I will be back to retune in a few days and promise to be around the 300whp, imagine that set up in our cars and the engine u can find for about $750-$950 heres the youtube clip sorry about the poor lighting but u can clearly see the dyno screen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JGzrv5o_Ds

u must have never driven a 6 spd CL, I took my CL (120k)to the dyno that I ported polished, shaved heads and manifold ( http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/cb169/?action=view&current=109_0273.jpg ), I, H, E, and make 282whp and 247 torque untuned and on a 75 shot made 341whp and 363 torque, I will be back to retune in a few days and promise to be around the 300whp, imagine that set up in our cars and the engine u can find for about $750-$950 heres the youtube clip sorry about the poor lighting but u can clearly see the dyno screen

CB,
Now you're making me want to put the 6 sp into my TL-s. Don't get me wrong, I like my TL-s, but from what you describe, it is way better with the 6 sp. I will still keep my DOHC engine for my NSX.
Miner

I don't get why anyone would transplant a CL engine into an NSX. Seriously, I don't understand it. :confused:

I guess it would make more sense to swap out a bad motor out of a NSX for the CL's 3.2 and they make more torque than the NSX 3.0 and 3.2 and CL motors cost under a grand for a low mileage jdm motor, people are putting them in civics and integras now, when I do a second gear roll on with the nsx and CL, my Cl starts to pull in 3rd from my NSX and the CL weighs about 6-700 pounds more than my NSX, I pretty sure It will pull on any NA bolt on NSX around here 3.0 or 3.2 and a supercharged NSX would for sure get destroyed by my CL on the 75 shot, if anyone is interested to come out let me know, we can do a dyno meet again and make some runs

Last edited:
I don't get why anyone would transplant a CL engine into an NSX. Seriously, I don't understand it. :confused:

I agree, Ken. I had a J30A4 in my Accord 6sp and while it was a smooth, powerful engine it was not in the same performance class as the C30A. While the J-series has some evolutionary design improvements over the C-series (which was Honda's first V6), it is handicapped by a single cam and lower operating rpm. The magic of the C30A and C32B is in the dual cams and lightweight rotating assembly. If you could fit dual cam heads to a J-series and swap the titanium rods, maybe it would be worth it. Even the J37 in the new TL is a single cam head with a 6300 rpm redline. Having driven both engines, just not worth it in my opinion.

Does anyone out there know if its possible to fit a J32 2003 Acura CL type S engine in to an NSX, does it bolt up to the trans at least?

after looking closely at them both, they look very similar besides the NSX powertrain is a front wheel drive setup that has been placed in the rear, it would be nice to stick the engine and 6 spd trans from the CL in to the NSX

CaptainPicard.jpg

Lets see my New 02 TL S-Type went thru three transmissions in less then 30K miles. There was a TSB on the tranny and thousands of cars went thru the same thing as I did and Acura never did a recall but they did extend the warranties. Yes I agree it was a great engine but the tranny sucked.

The 5 speed auto is just not very good. From the TL forums it sounds like the 6 speed swap (from a CL) is a helluva good improvement.

This thread is starting to sound like a 'Small Block vs Big Block' discussion. I think that is a good thing. 6500 rpm redline with gobs of torque from the J37 would make for a very drivable (around town) NSX. It wouldn't be as pure as the DOHC engine, but with the original C engine (2.7 l SOHC Legend) being from the 80's, it is a bit long in the tooth. Of course the SoS stroker kits are the way to go to keep the original DOHC design, but at some point, its not the original NSX anymore.

Miner

I agree, Ken. I had a J30A4 in my Accord 6sp and while it was a smooth, powerful engine it was not in the same performance class as the C30A. While the J-series has some evolutionary design improvements over the C-series (which was Honda's first V6), it is handicapped by a single cam and lower operating rpm. The magic of the C30A and C32B is in the dual cams and lightweight rotating assembly. If you could fit dual cam heads to a J-series and swap the titanium rods, maybe it would be worth it. Even the J37 in the new TL is a single cam head with a 6300 rpm redline. Having driven both engines, just not worth it in my opinion.

UNDERSTAND that the CL type S 6 spd is the fastest Acura or HONDA to date besides the NSX,CL's not even a S2000 can run with the 6 spd CL, who care's about single and dual over head, I've seen 9sec single cam NA HONDAS'a that was faster than the dual cams. I think the thing is nobody knows to much about the 6 spd CL, the 6 spd was only available for 1 year ONLY

I have the same level of mods to my 3.2 (with 3.0 ported polished ,shaved heads, etc) I,H,E plus cams and I make 321whp and 240 torque but that is tuned. However it redlines at 8500 (indicated) and traps out at around 113, that is the true potential of the C32. Also the gears on the NSX are setup for 8000 not 6500 so you'll lose out by the lower redline (must shift at a lower speed). I can't argue with cost on the J32A.

I think more here love the NSX because of the redline.....I hate the fact that my 2005 S2000 redline at 8200 vs the old 9000. I think this would turn the NSX into something its not.

I have the same level of mods to my 3.2 (with 3.0 ported polished ,shaved heads, etc) I,H,E plus cams and I make 321whp and 240 torque but that is tuned. However it redlines at 8500 (indicated) and traps out at around 113, that is the true potential of the C32. Also the gears on the NSX are setup for 8000 not 6500 so you'll lose out by the lower redline (must shift at a lower speed). I can't argue with cost on the J32A.

I think more here love the NSX because of the redline.....I hate the fact that my 2005 S2000 redline at 8200 vs the old 9000. I think this would turn the NSX into something its not.

the CL's revlimiter is about 7200rpm's and hits the stock speed limiter @150mph going up hill in 5 gear amazingly easy with passengers, (I dont promote street racing) but with this setup the NSX might be more competitive on the straightaway and possibly lighter, great numbers by the way cptnsx

definitely worth a good look, I had built a 3.5 montero engine and put it in my VR4, made gobs of torque and power. hey cb169 could you get me more pics of your cl lower intake manifold, do you think they can bolt up to nsx heads? I would like to make a manifold for my turbo setup. thanks

definitely worth a good look, I had built a 3.5 montero engine and put it in my VR4, made gobs of torque and power. hey cb169 could you get me more pics of your cl lower intake manifold, do you think they can bolt up to nsx heads? I would like to make a manifold for my turbo setup. thanks

I was thinking the same thing after I saw in design of the CL manifold that has air trumpets inside http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/cb169/?action=view&current=109_0273.jpg, the CL manifold would have for sure been a better intake manifold for the NSX, if it did bolt up I would have port matched the CL manifold to the NSX head
The NSX has larger ports and the intake side of the head is at a different angle, when I removed my manifold off my NSX and looked at the intake ports on the head, it seems like there was not much room for improvements,I have done head work for almost every honda and the NSX has smooth ports from the factory but they can use some port matching though, what the nsx needs is more compression slightly bigger cams and a better intake system (kinda like the 04 M3) they should have done that with the type R versions like they did with all there other non NSX R vehicles, the stock NSX manifolds could have been design a little better

I was thinking the same thing after I saw in design of the CL manifold that has air trumpets inside http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/cb169/?action=view&current=109_0273.jpg, the CL manifold would have for sure been a better intake manifold for the NSX, if it did bolt up I would have port matched the CL manifold to the NSX head
The NSX has larger ports and the intake side of the head is at a different angle, when I removed my manifold off my NSX and looked at the intake ports on the head, it seems like there was not much room for improvements,I have done head work for almost every honda and the NSX has smooth ports from the factory but they can use some port matching though, what the nsx needs is more compression slightly bigger cams and a better intake system (kinda like the 04 M3) they should have done that with the type R versions like they did with all there other non NSX R vehicles, the stock NSX manifolds could have been design a little better

yea the intake manifold can be alot better on the NSX, i cant really distinguish how the manifold looks in that pic, because its not assembled. any more pics?

yea the intake manifold can be alot better on the NSX, i cant really distinguish how the manifold looks in that pic, because its not assembled. any more pics?

I'll post sum up in a few, the lower pieces are on top of the upper plenium in the pic above

Back