• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

J35 LoveFab Twin Turbo Time Attack NSX

I have some other build threads, but since this will be something new, I thought it would be better to create a new one.

This is my race NSX in its current form:

11080955_304439669680232_9091259392374975991_n.jpg

1555357_304450119679187_7742572663685305762_n.jpg

1507645_291789017611964_4071766053169747558_n.jpg

11038257_304428106348055_1002187224698725691_n.jpg

10862458_10152475520291434_7003262989657824088_o.jpg

After killing three C motors in three years, it was time for change. I have been checking the HPD NSX for some time now, but didn't know how to begin to do a J swap myself. Then David aka Velocitized came along and after talking with Cody from LoveFab the Time Attack V3 project had started!

Being based in Amsterdam and most J engines and parts and suppliers are in the US, the start of the project was a bit challenging. Luckily both David and Cody are great to work with and are very helpful! We decided to ship the mounts to Cody and Cody has picked up two J engines. With the mounts he can start building the twin turbo kit from his workshop.

In this thread we will try to post as many pictures from the build.

Last edited:
Good luck Dimer! For the price of J35s it is a smarter option if you are boosting. My only gripe about the J is that it doesn't sound as good as the C.

If there is anything I can help with (sourcing parts etc) just let me know. I hope next time I'm in AMS I'll check this car out in person ;)

Looking forward to your build!

Why not build a single turbo? Especially for a racecar. Less complications with a single. Is it the piping routing that makes it difficult? No more difficult than the C engine me thinks.
Because of the 60* V allows the turbos to be mounted higher so you don't need a scavenge pump.

Because of the 60* V allows the turbos to be mounted higher so you don't need a scavenge pump.

I believe SOS's twin doesn't need a scavenge pump either so I don't think it's 60° design is the sole reason?

If the answer is that there's no way to build a single turbo without a scavenge pump on the J, then I totally get that. Anything, even the complications of 2 turbos, is worth not having to run a scavenge pump!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, to get the turbo sitting higher do most "racecar NSXs" just cut the trunk floor and stick the turbo much higher?

60* makes it a lot easier to mount with far more room than the 90*.

Yes if you want to sacrifice the rear trunk to mount a single, a 60 or 90 won't matter or need a scavenge pump.

I hear you [MENTION=9673]Dimer[/MENTION] on the twins being more sexy :)

I was secretly hoping someone would say they mounted the turbo above the transmission case in a single turbo setup. That could lend itself to equal length turbo headers and not have the potential complications of a twin setup.

For longevity and reliability sake I would want this
* Single turbo above the tranny case (or turbo above the trunk floor if you're cutting up the trunk anyway)
* Twin turbo at each bank as high as needed (risk all the complications in a twin turbo setup but not have to run a scavenge pump)
* Single turbo with a scavenge pump (though at this point i'd consider not going turbo at all)

Pros and Cons either way and running a single turbo w/o a scavenge pump might not even be possible. If you can keep us updated on why/how the decisions were made that would be super cool. A lot of us are looking eagerly at your thread Dimer!

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone considering a Rotrex setup with your J Swaps?

Subscribed!

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck Dimer! For the price of J35s it is a smarter option if you are boosting. My only gripe about the J is that it doesn't sound as good as the C.

My J32A2 sounds exactly like my old C30 once I routed the exhaust the same as the C30 (separate the front and rear banks). The J and C engines have the same firing order and the exhaust pulses are the same because both engines use offset rod journals.

I think SOS' twin turbo setup has the turbos mounted high where they can gravity drain to the pan.

If you do a single above the transmission, I wonder how it would affect transmission temps... Most single turbo setups do have equal length headers.

Dimer - Looking forward to the build! Sorry about your bad luck with the C-series. I still think your last engine builder screwed up the rod bearing measurements.

Regan - There have been quite a few kits over the years placing a single turbo over the transmission with the required equal-length exhaust banks. Autowave, AMW, and another out of Florida. For single turbos, that setup is the way to go IMO.

My compound twin turbos sit on top of the transmission too. No problems with heat, but I've done a lot of work on thermal management and have relocated a lot of stuff. I have a tranny cooler, but I never had an issue with transmission oil temps prior to adding it.

The SOS twin turbos do not require scavenge pumps but also have a horrible exhaust manifold layout to squeeze them against the heads. Our transverse layout makes it difficult to design an optimal turbo arrangement. That's why I like the longitudinal Esprit design!

Dave

Last edited:
Back