• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jan R&T has NSX info (speculation?)

The Jan 2005 R&T has a future cars report (some educated guesses, of course), but onm page 43 there is a box on the NSX/S2000. Here is what it says:
"Honda Rethinks NSX, Scraps S2000 Replacement"
"The long-awaited Acura NSX replacement remains just that as Honda is rethinking its supercar project. Unlike the current 2 seater exotic (which should remain on sale through 2006), the next Acura ranger-topper will likely have a steel body, 2+2 seating, and a hybrid powertrain. As a result, don't expect to see this car until 2007 or 2008. In the meantime, the lackluster-selling S2000 may face cancellation in 2006 or 2007-unfortunately with no sucessor in the pipeline."

Just wanted to add to the rumor mill! :biggrin:

Why would they replace the NSX with a 4 seat hybrid???? That isn't even the same type of car!!! What are those guys smoking over there??

honda sets its sights on the 997...

thats a 2+2...

the only way the 911 gets away with the +2 is b/c of the rear engine

Unlike the current 2 seater exotic (which should remain on sale through 2006), the next Acura ranger-topper will likely have a steel body, 2+2 seating, and a hybrid powertrain.

NOTE TO HONDA:
Get your head out of your ass and listen to the customer. I don't give a damn what you call it - I will not even consider purchasing some steel 2+2 hybrid. I like the current 2 seater exotic, and WILL purchase another one when the time comes. Why don't you apply some of your engineering talent to designing a serious fossil fuel burning powerplant for this next generation lust machine? Use a GT3, Ford GT, F430, C6Zo6, Viper, M3, etc as benchmarks - that is what the public will use as well.

/rant off

Why not just end the speculation and pull out the 400 hp hybrid DNX? Price it around 70k and call it the new Acura flagship. Since we all know it will be reliable, wait 2 years for the depreciation hit as with all Acuras and get it for 50k. :smile:

I welcome the idea of a 2+2, so speak for yourself White94. The Supras and GTR34s don't seem to be loosing to our "supercar" in the GT series and they are steel framed with additional seating. Just making a point.

In the same breath, however, I must admit that adding the extra seating means that most likely the car would no longer be mid engine. Now THAT is something to cry over.

Honda's truly lost it's way. They've allowed their once world-beating supercar to stagnate. They refuse to import any of their Type-R cars to the US. They are allowing Chrysler and GM to build more desirable sport-compacts. They have detuned the venerable Civic into a Buick. They spent the money the should have spent on a successor to the NSX on a pickup! :frown: Yet the company has a status in F1 second only to Ferrari and dominates IRL, what the Hell?!

qirex said:
money money money money...

MONEY

You are 100% right on that. The pickup truck will make millions for Honda. The NSX will never make much money at all. You cannot blame them for that one.

Nonetheless, a 2+2 sports car is a good idea, but it should not be the next NSX.

For the last decade or so, I have pretty much been buying every fun car that Honda or Acura came out with. The reason I bought these cars (NSX, Integra GSR, Prelude Si, Legend Coupe 1987 and 1990 models, etc.) was because for those vehicles Honda was making cars that would handling like a son-of-a-gun, get great fuel economy, were reliable, and had cutting edge technology. Back when Acura was first launched their slogan was 'Precision Crafted Performance'. I looked at a more recent add and it said something like, 'The true definition of luxury. Yours,' and I sadly hung my head low.

For me Honda has always been the slightly more affordable, Japanese version, of BMW. Cars that made driving FUN!! You would most likely not be bored driving a Honda. Heck, even my '90 Accord EX (which I still have) is a blast to drive, and is much more entertaining than the Toyota Camry of the same vintage. In an original ad campaign for the Acura Legend back around 1989 or 1990, it shows two brothers racing a Legend Sedan and a Legend Coupe through some empty city streets, tunnels, and other similar roads. (For those familiar with Chicago, or the 'Blues Brothers' movie, I believe the road was Lower Wacker near downtown.) This to me seemed to be the difference in buying a Honda/Acura product, as opposed to a Toyota/Leuxs product. The Acura was fun, and a performance car dressed as a sedan, whereas the Toyota product was more bland and leaned more towards isilating you from the road and everything else. This is where Honda was making itself UNIQUE in the marketplace of Japanese cars. Fun, reliable, and affordable.

Sadly, as others have said, most of the Type-R variants of Honda products are kept over in Japan, while we are getting the watered down 'everything else' cars over here. Yes, we had the Integra Type-R, but only for a short time. We have NEVER had the Civic Type-R (despite the fact they could SELL THE HELL OUT OF THEM to every 'Fast and the Furious' kid with $20,000). we have never had the Accord Type-R, RSX Type-R, or the NSX Type-R. I remember hearing that there might even be an S2000 Type-R roaming around Japan, but I am not sure of that. Honda is killing off most of what makes them unique. They eliminated the Prelude, have seemingly abandoned the NSX, and are looking to snipe out the S2000. What the heck will be left to separate them from Toyota or the other makers of boring cars?? (Disclaimer: Yes, I know Toyota/Lexus made the Supra and MR2, but it is MY opinion that the remainder of their models lack any soul at all.)

That being said, if the S2000 and NSX are phased out with no reall replacement, I quite seriously am going to search around for some nice used models from years past. On the list are the '97 Integra Type-R, '90 Legend LS Coupe, '92-'93 Integra GS-R, '90 Prelude Si 4WS, '90 CRX Si, and some more NSX's. I am truly serious about that, as I feel those cars are what really defined Honda as a car maker, and not just a maker of cars. Honda needs to remember that without the racing heritage of their founder, they would not be where they are today. To abandon that in the U.S. or JDM market is just plain foolish.

Toyota is the second largest automaker in the world. Honda wants to be Toyota. They are doing what they need to do to accomplish that goal. I disagree with the goal, but it's not up to me to decide. Unfortunately, Honda's soul died with Sochiro.

I don't think that a 2+2 is necessarily bad. The McLaren F1 has a 2 seat back seat and it doesn't seem to have trouble claiming exotic status. It will be harder for them to do, but it's not impossible. The problem is that our desires and their desires are on divergent paths.

Dave Hardy said:
The McLaren F1 has a 2 seat back seat and it doesn't seem to have trouble claiming exotic status.
Well yeah, but the drivers seat is in the CENTER and the other 2 seats are on the left and right of the driver. That counts for bonus points on the exotic-o-meter.

Meeyatch1 said:
For the last decade or so, I have pretty much been buying every fun car that Honda or Acura came out with. The reason I bought these cars (NSX, Integra GSR, Prelude Si, Legend Coupe 1987 and 1990 models, etc.) was because for those vehicles Honda was making cars that would handling like a son-of-a-gun, get great fuel economy, were reliable, and had cutting edge technology. Back when Acura was first launched their slogan was 'Precision Crafted Performance'. I looked at a more recent add and it said something like, 'The true definition of luxury. Yours,' and I sadly hung my head low.

For me Honda has always been the slightly more affordable, Japanese version, of BMW. Cars that made driving FUN!! You would most likely not be bored driving a Honda. Heck, even my '90 Accord EX (which I still have) is a blast to drive, and is much more entertaining than the Toyota Camry of the same vintage. In an original ad campaign for the Acura Legend back around 1989 or 1990, it shows two brothers racing a Legend Sedan and a Legend Coupe through some empty city streets, tunnels, and other similar roads. (For those familiar with Chicago, or the 'Blues Brothers' movie, I believe the road was Lower Wacker near downtown.) This to me seemed to be the difference in buying a Honda/Acura product, as opposed to a Toyota/Leuxs product. The Acura was fun, and a performance car dressed as a sedan, whereas the Toyota product was more bland and leaned more towards isilating you from the road and everything else. This is where Honda was making itself UNIQUE in the marketplace of Japanese cars. Fun, reliable, and affordable.

Sadly, as others have said, most of the Type-R variants of Honda products are kept over in Japan, while we are getting the watered down 'everything else' cars over here. Yes, we had the Integra Type-R, but only for a short time. We have NEVER had the Civic Type-R (despite the fact they could SELL THE HELL OUT OF THEM to every 'Fast and the Furious' kid with $20,000). we have never had the Accord Type-R, RSX Type-R, or the NSX Type-R. I remember hearing that there might even be an S2000 Type-R roaming around Japan, but I am not sure of that. Honda is killing off most of what makes them unique. They eliminated the Prelude, have seemingly abandoned the NSX, and are looking to snipe out the S2000. What the heck will be left to separate them from Toyota or the other makers of boring cars?? (Disclaimer: Yes, I know Toyota/Lexus made the Supra and MR2, but it is MY opinion that the remainder of their models lack any soul at all.)

That being said, if the S2000 and NSX are phased out with no reall replacement, I quite seriously am going to search around for some nice used models from years past. On the list are the '97 Integra Type-R, '90 Legend LS Coupe, '92-'93 Integra GS-R, '90 Prelude Si 4WS, '90 CRX Si, and some more NSX's. I am truly serious about that, as I feel those cars are what really defined Honda as a car maker, and not just a maker of cars. Honda needs to remember that without the racing heritage of their founder, they would not be where they are today. To abandon that in the U.S. or JDM market is just plain foolish.

Well said my friend!

Dave Hardy said:
Toyota is the second largest automaker in the world. Honda wants to be Toyota...

While this maybe true, I don't think "BIGGER" is always better. Look at GM. Toyota is a great company don't get me wrong, but I notice the larger they are getting the lesser the quality of some of their vehicles. Something to think about. Quality has always been a benchmark of Honda/Acura, and I hope this is never lost for quantity.

As far as I know, Honda is a small but still independent car company. They make profits and are not state-supported like many other companys are. That's a great advantage but each model has to drive in profits. Otherwise Honda will end up like Misubishi or Nissan. The NSX is like a realised prototype and a big exception of the holy car-profit-goal. We should be very thankful to Honda that they risked to invest so much money in the NSX. I think the goal was to show technology and manufacturing facilities and rise profits overall. Every other exotic car manufacturer never made any profits (except Porsche, a exotic car? :D) The New NSX, HSC or named somewhat must habe a timeless design again, new technologies, maybe new concept (4 seats? :() OR a much lower price. In 1990 the car was absolutly outstanding, the europeanien car facturies thought the NSX and the following models are their end. We know it wasn't because they now built more advanced car's than the NSX which is quite aged in my view.
What I like to say is that Honda may come up with a new NSX but I think we have to wait some years more. :)

Greetings,
Thomas

I found a nice 1991 Acura Integra LS Special Edition this morning, and went ahead and added it to my collection. I always liked that design, and now I have one. Gotta love the old school Acura products!! :)

Again, this is just speculation. The NSX could go to one extreme to the other and no one would be surprised. No doubt the present NSX and S2K community would be disappointed though. I'm going to be an optimist here and go on believing that the NSX is going to carry on the same basic theme but with much better performance.

And I'm very much in league with those who revert to the "classic" Hondas and those who get pissed that Honda doesn't import the "R" series of cars. I'm no ricer but I would love to purchase a CTR. I saw them everywhere in Europe this summer and I rubbernecked each and every one of 'em. Make mine black. I'll take a 60's S600, an S800 coupe, a 95 Legend GS Coupe manual, an 04 S2K, a 2001 Phoenix yellow ITR, a 93 EG, an 89 CRX, an 04 CTR, my 91 NSX, and an 04 NSX-R, and I'd be happy.

I am not happy about it but I fully understand Honda: they cannot enter succesfully the "Ferrari area" anymore and realizing the third out of three commercial failures in the >35k$ sports car segment (NSX, S2000, a future NSX/2) would be very stupid.

The NSX is a great car, WAY better tan the car of its time. Result? Very few sale, with only the first two years supported by success, mainly due to the fact that it was something NEW and it was so much BETTER than the competiotion.

In the meantime Ferrari, Porsche, Aston, Lambo, ... all of them produce wonderful cars. They do not have the huge problems they used to have in 1990-1995 and they look&perform great.

Add to this that supercar are not cool anymore despite the offer is bigger than ever. Ok, I said this about the "supercars", I didn't want to, but it is the unfortunate truth! An Hummer gathers more crowd than a Murcielago (I was present when his happened... here in Zurich). If you are rich and famous you do not care about the exotics, it is something that only the past generation and very few of the new one care about.

For Honda it would be a commercial suicide to come out with a "new NSX", two seaters, whatever the power, that cost more than the current one.

As usual, just my opinion... :)

I myself have several HONDA/ACURA's on my "i'd love to own list".
1. 92 NSX- I luckily already own one.
2. 1999 Zanardi Edition
3. 1997 Integra Type R
4. late model NSX-R
5. any late-model Civic Type R
6. 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH- electron blue or pearl white
7. 1995 Legend GS type II- 6 speed
8. 2001 Integra Type R- phoenix yellow
9. 1993 Integra GSR
10. 1991 CRX SI- JDM with the glass roof
11. 1999-2000 Civic SI

and the list goes on and on..... Please add some on if you please :smile:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
I myself have several HONDA/ACURA's on my "i'd love to own list".
1. 92 NSX- I luckily already own one.
2. 1999 Zanardi Edition
3. 1997 Integra Type R
4. late model NSX-R
5. any late-model Civic Type R
6. 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH- electron blue or pearl white
7. 1995 Legend GS type II- 6 speed
8. 2001 Integra Type R- phoenix yellow
9. 1993 Integra GSR
10. 1991 CRX SI- JDM with the glass roof
11. 1999-2000 Civic SI

and the list goes on and on..... Please add some on if you please :smile:

What about the original 97 Integra Type R? I'd like one of those too please.

White94 said:
NOTE TO HONDA:
Get your head out of your ass and listen to the customer. I don't give a damn what you call it - I will not even consider purchasing some steel 2+2 hybrid. I like the current 2 seater exotic, and WILL purchase another one when the time comes. Why don't you apply some of your engineering talent to designing a serious fossil fuel burning powerplant for this next generation lust machine? Use a GT3, Ford GT, F430, C6Zo6, Viper, M3, etc as benchmarks - that is what the public will use as well.

/rant off

Re: new nsx 2008 #57

Hey that’s my quote to Honda "Get your head out of your asses" well said, there gone to loss customer if they do not do something soon. Who wants wait 3-4 years. When other cars are coming along i.e. RX-7, Supra, so if your reading this Honda executives get it finished and out to market! :mad:

gheba_nsx said:
Add to this that supercar are not cool anymore despite the offer is bigger than ever. Ok, I said this about the "supercars", I didn't want to, but it is the unfortunate truth! An Hummer gathers more crowd than a Murcielago (I was present when his happened... here in Zurich). If you are rich and famous you do not care about the exotics, it is something that only the past generation and very few of the new one care about.

For Honda it would be a commercial suicide to come out with a "new NSX", two seaters, whatever the power, that cost more than the current one.

This is so true, these days all the interest goes out to the high HP saloons like the RS4 and RS6, M3, M5. A Mini Cooper S atracts a bigger crowd then my NSX, and i sometimes, just sometimes get the impression that my Civic type-R gets more attention then my NSX. A 360 is called a 'nice' car while indeed a hummer is considered the dogs bollocks (very, very cool).

Years ago, Mr. Jeremy 'i hate anyhting not british' Clarkson said the same thing in his show.

Back