• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jap auctions, look what turned up today

If you peruse the foreign regions posts on prime the term Jap is used quite often..I don't think they are being racist....I
t's all in one's perspective.

It may be used in the foreign posts Doc, but it won't be used by Japanese people.

lets ask Hirofumi and the other jdm owners:smile:

lets ask Hirofumi and the other jdm owners:smile:

Here's what Wikipedia says:
Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2]

In my experience if you ask a Japanese which terms he finds most insulting, he may or may not answer, but for sure he'll think you are a barbarian for asking.

Isn't it amazing that on a site devoted to a Japanese made car we have to explain why the term "jap" may be offensive. Ask any Japanese American citizen old enough to remember the internment camps of WW2 if they find the term offensive. I'm sure it's not greeted as a term of endearment on the Japanese mainland either. Irrespective of what may be acceptable in one part of the world, the members of this site need to choose their words wisely.

At Auctions in Japan 2 Nsx Rs

Yellow Nsx R (1).jpgYellow Nsx R (2).jpg
The same day the Veilside Nsx was there.
There was 2 Na1s Type Rs at auctions.
The Black Veilside Nsx sold for 3 million yen.
Didn't look that good in real life.

Here's what Wikipedia says:
Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2]

In my experience if you ask a Japanese which terms he finds most insulting, he may or may not answer, but for sure he'll think you are a barbarian for asking.

Isn't it amazing that on a site devoted to a Japanese made car we have to explain why the term "jap" may be offensive. Ask any Japanese American citizen old enough to remember the internment camps of WW2 if they find the term offensive. I'm sure it's not greeted as a term of endearment on the Japanese mainland either. Irrespective of what may be acceptable in one part of the world, the members of this site need to choose their words wisely.

I understand completely thats why its all about perspective and our specific history with Japan.The specific ot point raised by this discussion is : are the Japanese bothered at all by any other nationality using that abbreviation......I'm not breaking balls I'd like to know. The same types of slurs and their context could be said of Germans and Jews, Black /white, ect.....now hows about that veilside....lol

Both NsxRs didn't sell at 5.7 Million yen
Black Veilside Nsx sold for 3.6 Million yen.

Would the black veilside selling for about $35 K USD represent a loss for the seller?
Do you know what a typical base NSX used to build a veilside would be worth?

Last edited:
^^^ This VS nsx looks like the same color theme from the F&F Tokyo drift:

01.jpg

RX-7?
tokio-drift-mazda-rx7-veilside-autoniusy-8.jpg

Back