• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Japanese car-makers sweep Consumer Reports 'top picks'

Japanese car-makers sweep Consumer Reports 'top picks'

By Rick Popely
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 1, 2006, 5:11 PM CST

Japanese models claimed all 10 of Consumer Reports' "top picks" for the first time and dominated the magazine's annual owner satisfaction survey.

Honda earned five of the 10 "top picks," including the Accord, Civic, Odyssey and Ridgeline and Acura TL. Toyota had two, the Prius and the Highlander Hybrid, as did Subaru with the Forester and Impreza. The Infinti M35 rounded out the list.

The top picks, announced Wednesday, are based on Consumer Reports' road tests and are published in the magazine's annual April auto issue.

This is the third time in the last six years that domestic vehicles have been shut out of the magazine's best picks. The Ford Focus was the only domestic model chosen in 2004 and 2005.

Consumer Reports subscribers also endorsed Japanese models. Japanese vehicles were 31 of the 44 chosen as "most satisfying" to own by 350,000 subscribers who participated in an annual ownership survey.

The Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum were the only domestic cars to make the "most satisfying" list, which included nine European vehicles.

Among the 21 "least satisfying" vehicles, 14 were domestic and seven were Asian. To be on the most satisfying list means at least 80 percent of owners said they would definitely buy the same vehicle again. For least satisfying it was 50 percent of less.

The Prius topped all models with 95 percent of owners saying they would buy it again. The Corvette was second at 93 percent.

Consumer Reports' announcements came on the same day that major Japanese brands continued to show sales momentum.

GM and Ford reported sales declines in February and said they would cut production in the second quarter.

GM's sales fell 2.5 percent and Ford's fell 4 percent as both lost market share to the Japanese Big Three of Toyota, Nissan and Honda. Sales rose 2 percent at Toyota and Nissan in February, and Honda's surged nearly 9 percent.

The Chrysler Group, the U.S. unit of DaimlerChrysler AG, rose 3 percent.

GM said it would cut second-quarter production 3.7 percent to 1.2 million vehicles to maintain inventories near current levels and reduce the need for incentives later in the year.

Ford plans to reduce production 2 percent in the second quarter to 890,000 vehicles.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

Ninous said:
I love seeing domestic companies go down. I hate people who are domestic nuts.

WOW...Do you understand the backlash when domestic companies goes down???? Toyota can very well lower the prices of each and every car but they wouldnt want the BIG 3 to go down. It will be a disaster...:frown:

Ninous said:
I love seeing domestic companies go down. I hate people who are domestic nuts.

Perhaps because you are only 17 you have not had much life experience or education yet. Please refer to an Econ 101 book and look in the index for the "multiplier" effect.

To ask our domestic companies to do better and compete harder with more quality products is one thing, to rejoice over their failure is totally irresponsible. I sure hope we are not paying your welfare check given that you are unemployed.

It is a shame and it shows the aweful truth about domestic quality. But then again, I've known that for years backed by first hand experience. Still a shame.

So -you actually believe that American Automakers is not capable of competing with foreign cars??? I dont think so - If you analyze it closely you 'll find out that we're way ahead in technology...Who makes the most advance Jetfighters, bombers, tanks, battleships, missiles, satellites, helicopters, submarines, space ships etc., in the whole planet (or probably our SOLAR System :biggrin: )?????SO you probably know how much a single F-22 RAPTOR jetfighter cost right? Did you know how many civics and accords- Honda has to make to match A SINGLE SALE of $133-200 million each plane?
US is the largest supplier of HIGHLY ADVANCE - TACTICAL WEAPONRIES in the WORLD...I don't think anybody comes in close.

So are you telling me we're not capable of building a highly reliable, technically advance car????Would you think those computer manufacturer will make a 100 Gazillion HZ Megacomputer that is bullet proof right now? OF COURSE they wont! It's a BUSINESS Strategy...You make the life and use of those computer short - SO EVERY YEAR you have to buy a new one either because your computer broke down or Its OUTDATED....Same as cars - Did Honda made money on the NSX? NO!!!! Because the car just last forever - the styling and technology is still at par or better with majority of the cars out there. How many units did they sold each year except for the first few years it was out??? 200-300 cars a year maybe?? It means It's not profitable - RIGHT?

Also, GM owns a good portion of TOYOTA USA and the rest of the Big 3 owns part of Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda...I migh be wrong but I know Ford owns Volvo and several other foreign car companies...IT'S ALL BOUT BUSINESS!!!You think you are buying a foreign car? Look again - most of the civics, lexus rx, accord, camry, sequouia, are made here in the US. The Toyota Siena was deisgned and manufactured here in the states Kentucky - I believe...So I'd call it domestic car...

They want you to buy a new car every four years or so because that keeps the US economy running. Imagine if everybody owns a reliable - bulletproof - highly advance car...Nobody needs a NEW CAR in the next 15-20 YEARS...So who would by a NSX(or similar) every three or four five - years ??? and these cars won't be cheap? Who would make cars if there is no demand? If there's no demand then there's no job. No job means no money to spend.

Hopefully I'm making sense here...:biggrin: I guess I have to say that the US is deliberately letting those other countries sell their cars here (without competition) so we can sell them $100 Billion worth GOODIES. We dont want them to be building JETFIGHTERS and LASER GPS GUIDED MISSILES right? US is in a different LEAUGE.

Last edited:
jagtiger said:
WOW...Do you understand the backlash when domestic companies goes down???? Toyota can very well lower the prices of each and every car but they wouldnt want the BIG 3 to go down. It will be a disaster...:frown:

Remember when Toyota claimed #1 sales with Toyota Camera in mid-size sedan? Do you know how they did it? They pulled a Ford, whored out bunch of them to car rental agency to achieve that number one status in total car sales. To add fuel to fire, they also offered massive rebates to customers and dealerships, which made the 4 banner Cameray LE about 2 grand cheaper than the 4 banner Accord LX sedan.

Honda refused to play the game, that is why the Accord fell off to second place. Cited that Honda will not whore out cars to rental agency in order to protect the resale value of their cars, which means, better investment for their customers.

The bottom line is, I like to see domestic car company succeed, because in return, economy will be stronger, more jobs will be available, and Japanese auto makers will improve even more. I think GM and Ford will shine again in a decade or so, but only time will tell.

Quite frankly, I have never been impressive by these helo. Corvette Z06, Viper, Ford GT... well, maybe Ford GT. Even though Corvette and Viper has world class performance, but they do not have world class design and workmanship. I think GM and Chrysler should spend a little more efford on these cars, after all, they are halo cars, and halo cars should be an all around world class, not just in straight line speed.

Do you think people like the NSXers (myself included) will run away from these cars if they have a little better interior quality/comfort, better warrentee and assembly quality, and slightly better chassis technology, and charge couple grand more? I don't think so. If the Corvette is built like the NSX, I will probably consider it... but again, nothing is built like the NSX...

I wish then the U.S. car makers would plug some of their military technology supremacy into their cars. Nobody makes a better laser-guided missle than the U.S. but we're talking about cars here. Build quality is always an issue with American cars.

I've decided many years ago never to buy an American car because of all of it's problems. My sister's Chevy Berretta was a piece of $hit. My buddy's '98 Vette drives like crap. Everything is falling apart in it. That's why he's trying to get rid of it.

I'm an American and a proud one at that. I will be the first in line to purchase a new American made car when they get it right. Until then, I will continue be loyal to Honda products, made in Japan or here in the states, doesn't matter. As long as Honda has influence.

I subscribe to CR - but I donot completely agree with their reliability ratings. Remember the ratings and the top 10 are based on owner's surveys. Those surveys are being filled by CR subscribers. The subscribers are more likely to be analytical people who might or might be critical of their own vehicle. IT takes a certain type of person to subscribe to CR. This is not a survey of 10% of automobile owners in USA. That would be more accurate IMHO.

I'm an American and a proud one at that. I will be the first in line to purchase a new American made car when they get it right. Until then, I will continue be loyal to Honda products, made in Japan or here in the states, doesn't matter. As long as Honda has influence.

What's is an American made car to you?

"Is a Mexican-built Ford Fusion, which is based on a Japanese Mazda6, more American than a Toyota Sienna conceived in California, engineered in Michigan, and built in Indiana? To cash in on lower wages in Canada, Ford builds the Crown Victoria, GM the Impala, and Chrysler the Dodge Grand Caravan there. GM builds the Chevrolet Suburban in Mexico.

On the flip side, most Honda Civics and Accords are built in Ohio. The Toyota Camry and Avalon are built in Kentucky. Those plants employ U.S. workers and support communities by using a network of suppliers. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, and others also employ highly skilled American engineers and executives at research centers and styling studios in the U.S. "
quoted from Consumer report

jagtiger said:
What's is an American made car to you?

Maybe I should've said "American brand" car built here, there, or anywhere. If it's a Ford, GM, Chrysler product I won't buy it.
"

Is a Mexican-built Ford Fusion, which is based on a Japanese Mazda6, more American than a Toyota Sienna conceived in California, engineered in Michigan, and built in Indiana? To cash in on lower wages in Canada, Ford builds the Crown Victoria, GM the Impala, and Chrysler the Dodge Grand Caravan there. GM builds the Chevrolet Suburban in Mexico.

Maybe this is why build quality issues exist

On the flip side, most Honda Civics and Accords are built in Ohio. The Toyota Camry and Avalon are built in Kentucky. Those plants employ U.S. workers and support communities by using a network of suppliers. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, and others also employ highly skilled American engineers and executives at research centers and styling studios in the U.S. "
quoted from Consumer report

Highly skilled American employees...hmm...maybe this is why Japanese cars even the ones made outside of Japan have the reputation that they do.

BTW, I like your line up of Japanese vehicles. ;)

jagtiger said:

Do u mean a backlash due to american mentality shifting against foreign makers due to them killing american companies? I dunno if that would be the case... they've been causing layoffs at american auto makers for years.

Juice said:
Unfortunately, the answer here is simple. US car companies need to build a better product. Yet, they never seem to learn.

Not that simple. It's the employee costs that are killing american auto makers. I read that it costs Toyota about $700 per car to pay for employee benefits. It costs an american automaker somewhere in the range of $2000-3000. Pensions, union labor, and medical coverage are killing them. That's why so many US companies' pension plans are starting to dissapear.

jagtiger said:
If you analyze it closely you 'll find out that we're way ahead in technology...Who makes the most advance Jetfighters, bombers, tanks, battleships, missiles, satellites, helicopters, submarines, space ships etc., in the whole planet (or probably our SOLAR System )?????

This is US gov't funded R&D. We have a rich gov't (after all the debt they take out) which allows them to fund great technology. Very different from a competitive industry where cutting costs is essential and u can't throw all your money at R&D. US automakers have enough trouble staying afloat with their profits, let alone invest in R&D.

This is US gov't funded R&D. We have a rich gov't (after all the debt they take out) which allows them to fund great technology. Very different from a competitive industry where cutting costs is essential and u can't throw all your money at R&D. US automakers have enough trouble staying afloat with their profits, let alone invest in R&D.

Good point! But there's no way you can compare the cost of R&D for Aerospace Technology versus Automotive technology. Advance automotive technology is here - hybrid, hydrogen, solar, fossil fuel you name it - It's there for a long time now! ......But does the govt really want it...No!! Otherwise Exxon wont be able to post its record breaking profits last year and the year before.
8153AP_EXXON_MOBIL.gif

Everything has a reason! Do you really believe that US automakers cannot compete with the rest of the world??
We can build better tanks, fighter jets, airliners, satellites, missiles, ships and carriers but not a better car???- COME ON! How many billions dollars more do we need to come up with a better car?

We want Japan, Italy and Germany (& other foreign automakers) to concentrate on producing better cars INSTEAD of them building better fighter planes, better missiles, better ships, tanks, etc....HOPEFULLY YOU STILL REMEMBER WORLD WAR 2? Just in case - I believe Japan invaded and took control most of Asia, including parts of China and Australia - Germany and Italy took control most of Europe incl. parts of Russia and Africa, Egypt etc with their WAR MACHINES(?)....and Don't forget pearl Harbor...

Do we really want to compete and take them out of business in Automaking??? We need to OPEN OUR EYES a little bit....

Last edited:
I grew up around german autos i.e mercedes, bmw. I have owned both american and japanese cars, as well as german autos.

Here is a point that most people dont account for:

Yes most japanese cars are more reliable then most american cars...BUT...
Have you ever considered evaluating the cost of both. That is the main reason why people want a reliable car in the first place..to save $$... The domestic american car could be a better deal.

Here is what i mean:

Say you want to buy a midsize sedan. Your choice 1 japanese and 1 american.

2000 Honda accord =========== 2000 Ford taurus:

2000 Honda Accord : Kbb (in my area) with average miles (around 70k) was around $8500. ..Classifieds average price was around $10,500.

2000 Ford Taurus : Kbb with similar features and miles...was around $4500...and classifieds average asking price was around $6500

In both cases with similar years, features, and miles the Accord was about $4000 more on average.

So even if hypothetically saying this ford taurus you picked was less reliable (which is not always true) and you had to blow an extra $1000 or even $2000 on maintenance over the time you owned it...The taurus would still be less costly than the Accord.

Just an observation. :wink:

ghost said:
So even if hypothetically saying this ford taurus you picked was less reliable (which is not always true) and you had to blow an extra $1000 or even $2000 on maintenance over the time you owned it...The taurus would still be less costly than the Accord.

Just an observation. :wink:

Or look at it from a different perspective (the more important perspective I think)... if you bought both cars new, U lost an extra $4000 in deprectiation on the American car (assuming they were similarly prices which is about fair) and most likely the American car was less reliable. Now why would I buy the American car? Reason I say it's more important to compare new cars is because this is what decides the number of cars sold by the manufacturer.

jagtiger, the whole alternative fuel issue opens a huge can of worms. I'm sure we could all be driving hydrogen based cars by now whose only exhaust product is water if not for the very deep links the oil companies have into our political system.

But that's why most, even die hard domestic fans WAIT and buy used! They let someone else take that depreciation hit :wink:

Also alot of people wait for the FIRE SALES from the big 2.5 to buy their cars.

dawggpie said:
Or look at it from a different perspective (the more important perspective I think)... if you bought both cars new, U lost an extra $4000 in deprectiation on the American car (assuming they were similarly prices which is about fair) and most likely the American car was less reliable. Now why would I buy the American car? Reason I say it's more important to compare new cars is because this is what decides the number of cars sold by the manufacturer.

jagtiger, the whole alternative fuel issue opens a huge can of worms. I'm sure we could all be driving hydrogen based cars by now whose only exhaust product is water if not for the very deep links the oil companies have into our political system.

A good point. But you can apply the same theory to some some jap cars and to german cars. Mercedes sclass or bme 7 looses about $30k in couple of years, same goes for lexus LS or LX (maybe not as much) but close to $30k.

So timothy is right, the better bet is buying used after couple of years, specially american cars that are a little more then a couple of years old.

Back