• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jay Leno's Garage reviewing NSX G2...

Ted has been toeing that line in every speech I have seen and personally I think it is silly and foolish. In an automotive world of statistics you can't just stick your head in the sand and pretend these numbers don't exist. If your car is fat and heavy, don't avoid the question - come right out and face it. If your car has a shitty coefficient of drag, don't try to sugar coat it and pretend.

We aren't fooled.

fair enough, he was giving all the ready made excuses, may as well just own up to it?

i think most people understand that adding downforce will make for a higher coefficient of drag. you can't have both, it's one or the other...

whats with the smurph leggings...LA faux biker leather jacket and work boot ensemble.... :confused:

To my eye, the car looked better in motion than in still pics.

I liked the part where Acura's engineer (Ted Klaus) described the transmission as having a launch gear, a cruise gear, and seven gears in between--as if nine is too big a number to fathom and needs to be explained as being two more than seven.

I'm sure the stump puller 1'st gear was needed to get the sub 3 sec 0-60 in launch mode

Honestly, I think there is too much focus on the stock tires being not "high performance" enough. Most people who buy these supercars will rarely take them to the track. Even if it should be experienced at least once. The R compound like rubber is usually more for show than actual use.

Even Leno has gone to say that he has no idea what he's doing on the track, which is a fair assessment of most owners, including *some of the bravado-filled posters on Prime.

One of my first wakeup calls about 10yrs ago was when I realized how quickly I burn through tires so I get the practicality of what you're saying. But here's the problem I think in this particular instance. This is the internet. Once we are post-embargo this review will still be there and if I were to see this impression by a guy who I know has driven pretty much everything I'm going to think to myself it must not be that exciting. It's the difference between, "This is nice" vs. "This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING I can't contain myself". We didn't get any of the latter. HONDA PR shoulda came out with the best in this case because this is now an archive and you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. The redeeming quality, however, is that at the end of the drive he did say that he wanted one. What's one more car when you have hundreds. :smile:

Last edited:
The redeeming quality, however, is that at the end of the drive he did say that he wanted one.

This here is the key component. I watched Jay review the Audi R8 - he gave it great praise and really seemed to enjoy the car. At the end though, didn't seem as though he wanted to own one. The NSX was different - seems like he might actually go out and buy one and that is a big thing and a real positive mark. I suspect that much like the original, this NSX2 is going to be a car that isn't going to make car magazines and forums jizz in their pants but it is going to be the car that people end up keeping in their garage as other cars come and go.

It's kind of sad how dated that Silverstone 2005 looked next the the black 2.0

I had a big grin on my face when Jay pointed out that the trunk required a little push on top in order to completely close it.
He thought it meant quality, I saw it as a nod to the original.

Side note: Jay is such a goob.
Same stupid blue jeans jump-suit.
Typical celebretard.

Who said that leggings aren't pants? Jay?

Anyway, he was definitely disappointed by the 9 speed transmission. And I also felt he didn't like something about it but just didn't say it aloud. Having said that, the car on the road looks amazing.

Also, very surprised he was in a commercial for this yet he was reviewing it sort of like "so..what is it that we have here..oh ok...N-S-X you say?". That's what I felt like the video was yet he was in the original commercial!?

100% agree. I got the same impression so I think we are onto something. He didn't rave about how it drove--AT ALL. He always goes into detail about this and to me, that was his way of saying that he was unimpressed. Black did look awesome though.

One of my first wakeup calls about 10yrs ago was when I realized how quickly I burn through tires so I get the practicality of what you're saying. But here's the problem I think in this particular instance. This is the internet. Once we are post-embargo this review will still be there and if I were to see this impression by a guy who I know has driven pretty much everything I'm going to think to myself it must not be that exciting. It's the difference between, "This is nice" vs. "This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING I can't contain myself". We didn't get any of the latter. HONDA PR shoulda came out with the best in this case because this is now an archive and you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. The redeeming quality, however, is that at the end of the drive he did say that he wanted one. What's one more car when you have hundreds. :smile:

Cosine.

This here is the key component. I watched Jay review the Audi R8 - he gave it great praise and really seemed to enjoy the car. At the end though, didn't seem as though he wanted to own one. The NSX was different - seems like he might actually go out and buy one and that is a big thing and a real positive mark. I suspect that much like the original, this NSX2 is going to be a car that isn't going to make car magazines and forums jizz in their pants but it is going to be the car that people end up keeping in their garage as other cars come and go.

I disagree. I thought he enjoyed the R8 as much, if not more than the NSX. I would have to watch the video again to make sure. However, I put no stock in him saying he wants to buy one--simply because he endorses the NSX and is a paid spokesman. Of course, he will say he wants one (and probably there is already being one given to him free of cost). I can't emphasize enough that Jay's opinion on the NSX cannot be unbiased--he works for Acura.

Precisely. I think it means a lot if he's willing to spend ~200K on a Honda/Acura and make space in his garage for one, considering that he not much of a JDM guy at all. He also doesn't like Ferrari much either, so that should say something about his taste.

Like someone else who pointed out the trunk detail - it's clear he's familiar with the first gen clearly and a fan. I was impressed by his attention to detail about little things like manual seats weight savings and the carbon fiber wheel question. He's a car enthusiast, just not a track junkie like some.

I disagree. I thought he enjoyed the R8 as much, if not more than the NSX. I would have to watch the video again to make sure. However, I put no stock in him saying he wants to buy one--simply because he endorses the NSX and is a paid spokesman. Of course, he will say he wants one (and probably there is already being one given to him free of cost). I can't emphasize enough that Jay's opinion on the NSX cannot be unbiased--he works for Acura.

Watch the Mustang GT350R review with Jamaal Hameedi, whom I hired into Ford with at the same time. Lucky talented bastard, he is. :) Who's not at all afraid to talk metrics/numbers. Listen to Jay's words and emotions as he drives and walks around the GT350R he's already bought.

I was impressed by his attention to detail about little things like manual seats weight savings and the carbon fiber wheel question. He's a car enthusiast, just not a track junkie like some.

I'm aware that people can read into things and interpret them according to their own biases, and I'm about to do that. :) I read it as: him thinking the luxurious interior exudes cushy heaviness instead of blazing fast lightness. The large center IP and thick silver accents in the center & at the door are really nice looking but also exude a feeling of heaviness to me. Everyone's a critic. I hope Michael Cao still talks to me at the next NSXPO. :) I'll go out on a limb and bet that some "controversial" aspects like the beak and the luxo-heavy interior appointments in a car that's supposed to exude performance first and foremost were the results of design-by-committee trying to check all the perceived customer wants, with Ted's hands tied by Honda/Acura marketing. Flashback to another thread about Honda wanting to stop letting marketing & committees drive design and instead get back to their roots...

I like that she wasn't afraid to say that the base wheels were her favorite, for their simplicity and potentially timeless look vs. the cuisinarts.

Last edited:
I can't help thinking that initial viewing and driving the new NSX is like the tip of the iceberg.
There's a lot more underneath than we can see.
It will likely take some time before all the attributes of the car will be known.

I'd expect future reports will show under high performance conditions, the engine temperature is rock steady, and brakes don't fade.
Is superb on long highway drives as well as around town.
Chassis is super rigid, handling is superb, suspension is forgiving on normal roads and so on.

In short, adequate power, balanced handling, high quality components and build, and reliable.
Just like the first generation NSX, only faster.

Last edited:
I'm aware that people can read into things and interpret them according to their own biases, and I'm about to do that. :) I read it as: him thinking the luxurious interior exudes cushy heaviness instead of blazing fast lightness. The large center IP and thick silver accents in the center & at the door are really nice looking but also exude a feeling of heaviness to me. Everyone's a critic. I hope Michael Cao still talks to me at the next NSXPO. :) I'll go out on a limb and bet that some "controversial" aspects like the beak and the luxo-heavy interior appointments in a car that's supposed to exude performance first and foremost were the results of design-by-committee trying to check all the perceived customer wants, with Ted's hands tied by Honda/Acura marketing. Flashback to another thread about Honda wanting to stop letting marketing & committees drive design and instead get back to their roots...

I like that she wasn't afraid to say that the base wheels were her favorite, for their simplicity and potentially timeless look vs. the cuisinarts.

Well the other side of the argument is that a thinly decorated interior is cheap feeling and flimsy. I'd be surprised if the interior pieces were that heavy as imagined. I've seen much more luxurious interiors that could potentially add excessive weight. The bulk of the excess weight are from the batteries and e-motors. I think the new NSX interior is elegant, sophisticated and not over-done. Having extra compartments for storage and cup holders are what makes a car more luxurious and a haven for dirt and spills. I'm not opposed to manual seats for 10-15+ lbs of weight saving per seat tho.

I also prefer the base wheels, largely because I am not a fan of asymmetrical or directional wheels.

I'm going to be critical here...but to me the interior looks like any other mas produced nicer sporty car..looks like corvette / ect..the dash and center console sit on top of a carpeted center tunnel..if the 458 was the benchmark so to should the interior...just sayin....

The black color is the "only" color I would consider on the 2.0 as it tones down all the busyness of the exterior.
All the vents,trim, and chrome and ughhh, things ,things, and more things. Black is looking sweet though.

Well the other side of the argument is that a thinly decorated interior is cheap feeling and flimsy.

Oh I'm sure they're wispy light, I was just <strike>whining</strike> saying that I think their appearance makes the interior look heavy to me. I see more cushy Aston Martin while I'd like to see more purposeful Ferrari or McLaren. I really shouldn't be so critical, I don't know why I am so picky sometimes. :) Maybe it reminds me of when I worked for Ford and the BMW 3-series fighter was anxiously awaited by all of us 25 year olds who wanted a cool performance car within the Ford family that wasn't a musclecar Mustang. The Lincoln LS arrived 600 lb heavier than it needed to be, with auto trans only for the V8, and with too much emphasis on chrome and luxury instead of power and performance. Sorry, I whine, I know.

On the flip side, it does look great driving around, particularly when Jay pulls into the runoff area before playing with launch mode. And seeing a few glimpses of the steering wheel reminds me of when [MENTION=28247]vivanshah[/MENTION] and I met a few other local owners to see the two Gen-2's pass thru Pittsburgh. I said it then and I'll say it now: the steering wheel feel/shape is just so perfect.

I think the NSX is awesome, regardless of if Jay approves or not. I think the question is, is it awesome enough for $200k when all said and done? I just sold an Audi R8 for this car, and I'm starting to get the shaky leg.

.. This is the internet. Once we are post-embargo this review will still be there and if I were to see this impression by a guy who I know has driven pretty much everything I'm going to think to myself it must not be that exciting.
I have to agree. I was talking to a McLaren dealer about the 540 at the Toronto Auto show 2 wks ago and mentioned how the segment was starting to fill up with options and mentioned the NSX .. and he immediately referenced that initial drive in October where the Motor Trend headline was something like 'slowest supercar'. People always seize on the negative sound bites and they hang around for a long time.

I have to agree. I was talking to a McLaren dealer about the 540 at the Toronto Auto show 2 wks ago and mentioned how the segment was starting to fill up with options and mentioned the NSX .. and he immediately referenced that initial drive in October where the Motor Trend headline was something like 'slowest supercar'. People always seize on the negative sound bites and they hang around for a long time.

That's hilarious because the 'slowest supercar' was referring to how long it took for a new NSX to drop, not the speed of the car. I think this is a major reason the NSX team is so careful about what they say, people will misinterpret something then somehow that becomes the narrative. Like how some people think the sound is replicated through the speakers when it isn't or that the car has been in development for 10+ years. In talking to some of the engineers, they would say something, but then explain what that particular language means in engineering terms. So for example in the vernacular understeer means the front tires are sliding and you're drifting out from the intended line, but in engineering terms it means that the change in yaw towards the intended direction is less than it should be for the steering angle (paraphrasing). But if you say understeer, a journo might just seize on that and not write the whole explanation, depending on what they feel like writing or how much expertise they have.

So when it comes to numbers maybe Ted is a bit too cautious but there are definitely some negative Nancys out there trying to find fault where there is none. It'll be interesting to see what people write about this second drive.

Oh I'm sure they're wispy light, I was just <strike>whining</strike> saying that I think their appearance makes the interior look heavy to me. I see more cushy Aston Martin while I'd like to see more purposeful Ferrari or McLaren. I really shouldn't be so critical, I don't know why I am so picky sometimes. :) Maybe it reminds me of when I worked for Ford and the BMW 3-series fighter was anxiously awaited by all of us 25 year olds who wanted a cool performance car within the Ford family that wasn't a musclecar Mustang. The Lincoln LS arrived 600 lb heavier than it needed to be, with auto trans only for the V8, and with too much emphasis on chrome and luxury instead of power and performance. Sorry, I whine, I know.

On the flip side, it does look great driving around, particularly when Jay pulls into the runoff area before playing with launch mode. And seeing a few glimpses of the steering wheel reminds me of when [MENTION=28247]vivanshah[/MENTION] and I met a few other local owners to see the two Gen-2's pass thru Pittsburgh. I said it then and I'll say it now: the steering wheel feel/shape is just so perfect.

The 3 series is an interesting car now that they've gone the turbo route. Ford has the chops and engine to compete. Which reminds me of the engine exclusivity statement that Jay made about the new NSX and how that's the way a serious - proper supercar should be. I wonder what he'll say when the new Ford GT debuts with a Taurus's TT V6 on steroids? :rolleyes:

I get the obsession with weight. I am not a fan of chrome either, because of the weight of it and the excessive super reflective nature which can be too distracting and impractical to clean.

I look forward to experiencing this new NSX steering wheel in the future. It doesn't look the best IMO, but everyone seems to say it feels perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to be critical here...but to me the interior looks like any other mas produced nicer sporty car..looks like corvette / ect..the dash and center console sit on top of a carpeted center tunnel..if the 458 was the benchmark so to should the interior...just sayin....

I disagree. I find the new NSX interior to be more sophisticated and better looking than the 458 and 488's interior. Perhaps maybe not in the most expensive materials category, but in actual design language.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the NSX is awesome, regardless of if Jay approves or not. I think the question is, is it awesome enough for $200k when all said and done? I just sold an Audi R8 for this car, and I'm starting to get the shaky leg.

The base car at ~160K is nearly perfect IMO. The 200K mark with the carbon add-ons are questionable...

Ahh, makes me miss my old black one even more. One day, NSX 2.0, one day.

Back