• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JDM 4.55 5-Speed

I needed a new transmission and fell in on a great deal for a JDM 4.55 5-Speed and will be getting it installed tomorrow. I have been trying to find some information on this transmission set up and have not found all that much. What is the general thoughts and opinions on this set up for around town/canyon runs? Current mods are Downforce scoop, Uni filter, RDX injectors, GTLW exhaust, a 275 SOS clutch, Damper delete, 10/8k BC Racing suspension on Swift springs installed on my 1991 NSX.

I do not plan on going FI and from what I have read the rpms @ 80 mph should increase from about 3400 to 3900

I'm not sure what jdm and the 4.55 RP have to do with one another. afaik the 4.55 is a comptech piece.I ran this along with the short gears and tracked it ect...If cruising at 4k rpm in 5th at 80 mph is ok for you and your tracks are short and twisty then it might be advantagious ,but for me I had had enough and went to the 4.23 R spec.

What I meant by the JDM part was the short gears. The short gears with the 4.23 is what I would have preferred but was currently outside of my price range as I just put 4k into the car in general maintainence to have the transmission start going out so I was going to buy a stock transmission and was presented this one as an option for not much more than a stock. As I have a new member to my family arriving in a couple of months I did not want to spend the amount needed for the 4.23. I am not trying to track the car and I mainly do canyon runs as my source of enjoyment with this vehicle.

You will have to spend some time with it to see how you like it,I got tired of the combo after about 3 years.

Even the OS-Giken 4.44 gets a bit tough to live w/ after some time. I couldn't imagine the 4.55, when it came to cruising/chilling...

I have a Gruppe M Supercharger with the 4:55 gears, 275 SOS clutch pack, forged pistons and 550cc injectors, Comtech headers and exhaust I love driving this baby.

Saw your car at the shop and they were hoisting the new/rebuilt transmission back into place. Ramon is probably driving it as I'm typing this.

All I can say is wow, the car has a whole new personality and it feels like a go kart. Hearing how this transmission sounds compared to my old one that was dying, it is night and day. The car is quiet even at 80 on the freeway. Despite the elevated rpms the car is quieter on the freeway as the only noise is the exhaust and tires. The car always has a lets go faster feel to it now. It is a joy to drive. I just need to take it in to get an alignment and it should be all good again.

Im curious to ride in your car with the 4.55. Hopefully you can make it out to the track one of these times and give me a ride around the parking lot. I was this close |--| to getting that same set up before I settled on the JDM ratios and the US spec FD.

Back