• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jgtc Nsx

Hi guys,

now its true.

HONDA announce to start with the JGTC NSX by the 24h race Nürburgring (12.06-13.06.2004)

Its the 2002 PIAA sponsored (No 64) white NSX.
The engine is modified by TODA Racing, GT 500 block with GT 300 engine inwards. (440HP)

One of the drivers will be Armin Hahne (known as NSX LeMans pilot) another driver is Robert Lechner.
These guys have to be < 180 cm large, because the cockpit is so small.

The team will be the same as last year.
The NSX-R will start also with some journalists as drivers.

At february 27th the car has the last roll out in Japan, after the NSX comes to germany.
The first test drives are at SPA-Francorchamps end of march.

I'll be there too and surely I can give you some news.

Maybe we see us at Nürburgring this year.

Last edited:
Didn't quite understand the engine issue: The GT 500s have about 500 hp and the GT 300s have about 300, right? So what have they exactly done with the engine to get 440 hp?

edit: Just read the story in "sport auto"-mag so I can answer my own questions. It's a Mobil 1 (Firman//Matsuda) GT 500, 3.5 l N/A, version 2002, with pistons, rods and cylinder head from a GT 300 (to decrease compression for the long distance races), power should be 420 hp (did you already find 20 hps more, Detlef?), Hewland 6 gear sequential tranny.

First test will be on february, 27th on the japanese track of Mine (any japanese prime member in that region?) with team boss Georg Severich.

Last edited:
420 HP is the official worth for the entry papers.
Noone wants to wake up ' sleeping dogs', thats the reason why this car will not start at some races before.
We will see soon if that car has a better speed than the DTM Opel's and Audi's, the Zakspeed Viper and the V8 BMW GTR works cars.

The chance that this beautiful NSX can start without air-restrictor is quite good.....and surely good enough for a big surprise if nothing goes wrong like last year with the NSX-R.

I'll give you the date of the first test session as soon as I will know it.

Actually there are 4 mechanics at TODA, working day and night for preparing the NSX-GT.

DTM opel? Will euroteam be there? I did fly for that team a couple of times... With their belgian driver a couple years ago, Yves Olivier.

The JGTC NSX will arrive germany today via aeroplane.
The team decided to start test session at 08.04 at an belgian track.
The first roll out last week at an japanese track was full of positive surprises, very impressive and successfull.
I heard from the pilot that the handling of the race car is fantastic, the only problem will be to trim the pushrod suspension for that unique Nürburgring track.
But a driver as Armin Hahne should have enough experience to find the right setup.
The ride height of that NSX race car and partial aerodynamic goodies (diffusor) needs bigger modifications, because it is not possible to simulate the Nordschleife in far east.
The engine output is 440 HP only, that sounds low, but the package will show the way.
I'll be guest at that track test and keep you inform.
Surely its possible to get pictures from details, we never saw.

Another driver: Robin Liddell of Scotland (turned down a Porsche drive at Le Mans for this, smart move imho). 4th man will be a Japanese driver - could well be T. Matsuda.

Apologies for mis-posting the image link. :)

ajnsx said:
a lot for a little car.
True, but the "all-out" GT500 engine had something in the region of 500bhp if I remember this correctly.
Incidentally, both Hahne and Lechner are former winners of this race.

News from JGTC NSX

Some serious problems with the 24h JGTC NSX seems to make this project questionable.

Actually Honda is fully streched with the JGTC Turbo project, means that there are no capacities for engineering support.
Also the guys from TODA are completly booked out with tuning the japanese HONDA F3 motors.

The JGTC NSX came to germany with not the quantity of wheels are necessary to do a 24h race.
BBS actually is busy to produce a lot of magnesium wheels for that car which needs about 2-3 more weeks.

HJS has to concept and produce a new exhaust system for that car, because only 98db/A at 4.000 rpm's are allowed.

But the biggest problem is the HEWLAND gearbox.
Only 2 gearboxes came with the NSX, one is only for roll out with an ultratshort setup.
The race gearbox has an short setup too with maximum topspeed of 235-240 km/h at the 6th gear.
Thats definately not long enough to run the long staights.

Actually, no spare parts are availabe from Hewland (other ring and pinions or gears) because Hewland stopped parts production for that gearbox after race season 2002.
The actual NSX'S are using longitudinal engine and gearbox fittings, the old car has a transverse installed gearbox with other dimensions and other components.

Now the team plan to adapt bigger sized wheels at the rear axle to high up the speed from 235 to 250 km/h, another MOTEC programming should allows the engine to rotate + 1.000 rpm's at the 6th gear.

Maximum speed 265-270 km/h should be the result, but noone knows if the engine will do that for 24 hours.

Hewland has recorded a maximum life time of 1.000 km and commends a rebuilt after, but that race needs a motor and gearbox life time about 3.500 km.

That all sounds not so funny to me.
I'll know more after the next weekend and keep you informed.

Bad to hear that. In addition I wondered why the first real test was at Zolder which is by no means comparable with the Nordschleife. I'm sure they'll need a softer suspension and a lot more ride height there.

How about changing to a X-trac tranny?

I dont think that GS did a serious roll out until now, because the GT NSX isnt prepared until now.

I think GS would be happy if they would need only to tune the setup of the car.

X-trac gearbox could be an option, but I dont think that Honda wanna spend that much money extra.
Because every part is so special, there will be also no time for experiments.

With the 2 additional mods they hope to have found a good compromise.
I'm not really optimistic for that car, but for show it will be good enough. Maybe they have a surprise for us all, but I dont believe in that. And maybe the cars stays here in germany and until next year its strong enough to fight for the victory.

The NSX-R project is much easier, because this car runs perfect.
They installed a new engine from Japan with a lot of power.
With some professional drivers, it would be possible to get a real good final result, if the race god will give some more luck as last time. But as I heard, Honda plan to entry some journalists for that car. :(

I'll visit GS soon and try to get some more informations and..
pictures

Procar specials wrote:

With some professional drivers, it would be possible to get a real good final result, if the race god will give some more luck as last time. But as I heard, Honda plan to entry some journalists for that car.

I guess nearly every journalist is capable to destroy the NSX-R on the Nordschleife - at least I would be a great candidate for that kind of action. You're right, I'm a journalist too.

But there are at two other drivers with my name (Messer) here in Germany with a lot of Nordschleifen-experience. One of them is a journalist too...OMG!
;)

The journos that drove the car last year aren't such bad drivers, though. I think they made the most out of it. The NSX-R won't ever be a race-winning car without a major development program that may well lead to the same result as what they have no: a silhouette racer. :)

It is a shame, though, that they seem to have underestimated the task in hand. I hope they can still get their act together. Without factory help, Severich might as well give it up right now.

Factory help only won't do. They need help from HONDA JAPAN. If you only get help from HONDA EUROPE you only get the results like the accords had a few years back in the old ProCar Series. (I'm talking about the Deradrigues time here in Belgium). Not a good thing to be reminded of to much...

But surely all parties involved (GS, Honda Germany, Sportauto, everyone) will have thought about these things before?? They should have...

Honda Germany (Europe) couldnt support the NSX-R race car with parts alst year.
They do have nothing for that car.
No part CD etc.
All boxes with spare parts came directly from japan, all parts were JDM parts. No racing parts.

For the JGTC NSX, Honda Japan cant send parts, because they dont have parts for that car. It directly comes from the museum.

German manufacturers did the tune job at last years race NSX-R
and surely also the guys from GS Motorsport.
They all are professional mechanics at AC Schnitzer BMW at Aachen and they did a great job at the Honda NSX too.
And I never meet such a sympathic crew, this race weekend will always stay in my mind as something very special.

Last years race parts manufacturers were:
Wiechers-Rollcage
Elbestahl-Exhaust system
HJS- catalytic converters
Recaro-Seats
SiegDesign-Interieur carbonfiber
Eibach-Suspension
Michelin-Tires
BBS-Rims

The journalists are good drivers with much experience and nice guys too, dont understand me wrong.
But the fastest driver was a professional race driver, his name is Markus Oestreich.
He was about 10-15 secondes quicker each lap.
I mean, with 4 drivers like Markus, more could be possible.

From this year I dont know the driver's names.
Honda gave no official statement until now.
But this week at friday, the sport-auto magazine 05/2004 will be available. Maybe we will know more after.

Sorry, I forgot that extra, because I knowed that you will remember me. :)

17.04.04 24h-Ring (GT-eins.news)
2 month before that race will start, the drivers for that semi-works Honda NSX are fixed.
The car, which was 3 times GT 500 class winner in 2002 JGTC season with the drivers Tsugio Matsuda and Ralph Firman
should be driven by Robin Liddell (Scotland), Robert Lechner (Austria), Armin Hahne (Germany) and a japanese driver
which name I cant keep in my mind.

Robin Liddell has made experiences with that track in year 2000, Armin Hahne (in 1991) and Robert Lechner (in 2002) could win that 24hrs race in earlier years with BMW M3 and Chrysler Viper.

Sounds good
;)

Actual news from JGTC NSX:
I was a rumour, that a japanese guy will be the 4th driver.
As we all know, Honda is always striven to engage a driver from
their country.

The drivers are:

Robin Liddell (Scotland)
Robert Lechner (Austria)
Armin Hahne (Germany)
and
Markus Oestreich (Germany)

Honda Germany plans to entry that car at the next or overnext
racing weekend in VLN Nürburgring.
The tests at Zolder didnt give an adequate projection for setup.
Dates:
30.04-01.05.2004
14.05-15.05.2004

It depends, if the wheels for that NSX are produced until overnext weekend.

More news about NSX-R:
This car will get a new motoroil cooling system, a new camber bushing kit for alignment into the -4 degree range and
a new diffusor from '93 LM NSX.

The new tire partner for both cars is DUNLOP

Last edited:
:eek: Oestreich - I never would have thought of him. But the choice makes sense when you think about it.

Out of curiosity, may I ask where you have this from? Someone within the team?

Back