• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jordan or Bryant??

Who do you think is the better player???

• Michael Jordan

Votes: 73 92.4%
  • Kobe Bryant

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
Don't get me wrong, Kobe has mad skills. But seriously, look at the whole picture:

Skill, affect on the game, personality, professionalism, team player, iconic, clutch, respected, stats, etc.

Is there still an argument? ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_uguiZz1TQ&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_uguiZz1TQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is all that anyone needs to watch. It's clear who the winner is.

</thread>

A lot of people are also forgetting that MJ was a great defender, something that Kobe has yet to even come close to. People forget that MJ lead the league in scoring, steals, won the MVP award, and won the Defensive Player of the year award all in the same year (1987-1988 season)! He won the defensive player of the year award over greats like Olajuwon & Ewing. Don't get me wrong....Kobe is great, but to say that he is equal to or better than MJ is a joke!

These stats should say it all! 'Nuff said!

* 14-time All-Star
* Olympic Gold Medalist—1984, 1992
* Five-time MVP—1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998
* Six-time NBA Finals MVP—1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998
* Seven-time The Sporting News MVP—1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1997, 1998
* Rookie of the Year—1985
* Defensive Player of the Year—1988
* 11-time All-NBA—10 times first team, 1 time second team
* Nine-time All-Defensive First Team
* Sports Illustrated "Sportsman of the Year"—1991
* Named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996
* Two-time Slam Dunk Contest champion—1987, 1988

Select records

* Most scoring titles—10
* Most All-Defensive First Teams—9
* Most NBA Finals MVP awards—6
* Highest career scoring average—30.12
* Highest career scoring average playoffs—33.45
* Most consecutive games scoring in double figures—866
* Highest single series scoring average NBA Finals—41.0 (1993)

A lot of people are also forgetting that MJ was a great defender, something that Kobe has yet to even come close to. People forget that MJ lead the league in scoring, steals, won the MVP award, and won the Defensive Player of the year award all in the same year (1987-1988 season)! He won the defensive player of the year award over greats like Olajuwon & Ewing. Don't get me wrong....Kobe is great, but to say that he is equal to or better than MJ is a joke!

These stats should say it all! 'Nuff said!

* 14-time All-Star
* Olympic Gold Medalist—1984, 1992
* Five-time MVP—1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998
* Six-time NBA Finals MVP—1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998
* Seven-time The Sporting News MVP—1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1997, 1998
* Rookie of the Year—1985
* Defensive Player of the Year—1988
* 11-time All-NBA—10 times first team, 1 time second team
* Nine-time All-Defensive First Team
* Sports Illustrated "Sportsman of the Year"—1991
* Named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996
* Two-time Slam Dunk Contest champion—1987, 1988

Select records

* Most scoring titles—10
* Most All-Defensive First Teams—9
* Most NBA Finals MVP awards—6
* Highest career scoring average—30.12
* Highest career scoring average playoffs—33.45
* Most consecutive games scoring in double figures—866
* Highest single series scoring average NBA Finals—41.0 (1993)

Pretty much sums up everything in the video I posted. Only thing that needed an update in that video was that Kobe finally got his MVP.

Let me put it this way... If MJ was on the Lakers right now I would be very nervous they would come back from a 3-1 deficit and win it all. That was MJ. Basketball God. I think you guys that think Kobe is better are either 14 or have really short memory... lol...

There isn't even a comparison. Kobe is a good player, but Jordan is/was on another level.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_uguiZz1TQ&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_uguiZz1TQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

</thread>

GREAT Video. Thanks I need to email that to everyone I know.

</thread>

My gut said MJ- this video is the statistical proof

P

</thread>

Malibu did you see that? I just want to make sure you saw that. Click on the picture, turn up the sound, and LISTEN. :biggrin:

I vote for Kareem. "You try running up and down the court with Walton and Lainer for 48 minutes."

MJ was probably a better talent, but had many distractions over his years. KB is more singularly focussed, and takes losing more personal, so he gives everything he has, all season long.

Miner
Truthfully...they are so very similar. Both had talent, many distractions, strong focus and determination; but to say that Kobe takes losing more personal? After losing games, Jordan would rip his teamates apart and tear them down. There were even incidents of causing a couple of teamates to cry in the locker room because of the scolding and bad-mouthing that he would give. He's the only player that I've seen in a game...grab a referee by the arm and told him that 'he had better call a foul on his opponent the next time he's fouled' and he didn't even receive a technical foul for blatanly grabbing the ref.

Truthfully...they are so very similar. Both had talent, many distractions, strong focus and determination; but to say that Kobe takes losing more personal? After losing games, Jordan would rip his teamates apart and tear them down. There were even incidents of causing a couple of teamates to cry in the locker room because of the scolding and bad-mouthing that he would give. He's the only player that I've seen in a game...grab a referee by the arm and told him that 'he had better call a foul on his opponent the next time he's fouled' and he didn't even receive a technical foul for blatanly grabbing the ref.

I agree with you they are very similar. Super competetive, and intense. To me, Kobe's focus is the NBA Championship only. Anything less than that is misery. Sounds like you saw more of MJs focus than the national exposure.

I still go with Kareem. All those years, plus acting in both Bruce Lee movies and Airplane.:wink:

Gman,

What do you make of Donahey's (sp) book saying Jordan's foray into minor league baseball was a 1 year suspension for his gambling habit? You mention him grabbing a ref with no (obvious) repercussions. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but do think the NBA is the least reputable major sport when it comes to application of rules; worse than NASCAR. Perhaps for a different thread.

Anyone who has watched Basketball and seen Michael Jordan play should know without a doubt how much he dominated the game. No one was more feared, more skilled, and more driven than Jordan. Watching the NBA now just shows me how little some players really care. Kobe's whole persona sucks. Watching him at the National Anthem, his actions on the court. Knowing his life off the court. Typical punk in my opinion. I am sure Jordan wasn't a sweethear all the time, but when it come down to winning, and being a winner, and doing what it takes to make the team win, no one was better. The league has changed, players are more athletic and carry less fundamentials. The best team ever to play was the 1996-97 bulls.

Without Shaq and Phil Jackson, Kobe is Mitch Richmond, A good scorer and not much else.

Gman,

What do you make of Donahey's (sp) book saying Jordan's foray into minor league baseball was a 1 year suspension for his gambling habit? You mention him grabbing a ref with no (obvious) repercussions. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but do think the NBA is the least reputable major sport when it comes to application of rules; worse than NASCAR. Perhaps for a different thread.

I've heard of that theory before, but I wouldn't believe it. The fact of the matter is that Jordan single handedly sold-out arenas where he played, jerseys, gatorade, and other endorsements. "Punishing" Jordan by suspending him for 1 year would only cause the NBA to lose revenue so I don't believe that it happened. Jordan's ego and competitive nature caused him to gamble with money and women and to "try" baseball.

Anyone who has watched Basketball and seen Michael Jordan play should know without a doubt how much he dominated the game. No one was more feared, more skilled, and more driven than Jordan. Watching the NBA now just shows me how little some players really care. Kobe's whole persona sucks. Watching him at the National Anthem, his actions on the court. Knowing his life off the court. Typical punk in my opinion. I am sure Jordan wasn't a sweethear all the time, but when it come down to winning, and being a winner, and doing what it takes to make the team win, no one was better. The league has changed, players are more athletic and carry less fundamentials. The best team ever to play was the 1996-97 bulls.

Without Shaq and Phil Jackson, Kobe is Mitch Richmond, A good scorer and not much else.

Kobe's personal lifestyle doesn't make what he's doing on the court. In fact, Jordan was no role model or he wouldn't have a restraining order on some woman at this very moment who refuses to leave him alone. He wouldn't have recently divorced from his wife either...he was no saint. He just didn't get caught like Kobe. Jordan's career is over...Bryant still has years to go and may outshine Jordan's "greatness"...we will have to wait until Kobe's career is over. (Same for Lebron) People seem to forget that Jordan often shot 10 for 30...or 12 for 36...9 for 21...etc! He scored the majority on the foul line; just like Bryant. But when he was determined and attacked the basket...he was feared, relentless, and the best finisher in his era...just like Bryant. It's not a slap in the face that Kobe is often compared to Michael; he should be. I am not a Kobe Bryant fan AT ALL, but I know a great player when I see one. There have been several times that I've seen him play and thought, "I remember seeing Jordan do the exact same thing."

I agree with Miner's statement about the NBA not being reputable...

It's interesting to see that the poll is so one sided. I grew up watching and admiring Jordan play. Being in LA I've gone to many games and got a lot of exposure to Kobe. He doesn't get anywhere near the media coverage that Michael did so I think a lot of people just don't know how good he is. It's really not as one sided as you guys make it out to be. An argument can be made either way and when you see the commentators and analysts discuss the topic, the opinions are more split down the middle.

I watched the 81 point game. I watched the game against the Mavericks when Kobe outscored them after 3 quarters, 62-61! That's something no one, not even MJ ever did. There were games where he could have scored over 80 previous to that. MJ never scored at least 50 points in 4 consecutive games, Kobe did. So there's a lot of little useless stats and tidbits you can come up with for either player that the other did not accomplish to make your point. Kobe is a great defensive player, 1st team all defensive several times.

They played in different eras but there was a time when they played together and below is a video of Kobe playing with Michael in a game... so here's a 19 year old immature Kobe vs still very skilled MJ back in 1997.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TC-kKQMue4g&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TC-kKQMue4g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's interesting to see that the poll is so one sided.

It's really not as one sided as you guys make it out to be.

The poll takes doesn't ask who thinks Kobe is a great, hall of fame worthy player, it simply asks who is better. Jordan, without a doubt, is better.

Kobe is in his 11th season already and Jordan completely retired with 15 seasons under his belt. Can Kobe surpass Jordan (Kobe realistically has about 6 more seasons left)? No, but that doesn't mean Kobe isn't great because otherwise we wouldn't be discussing his name in this thread. Kobe is the Jordan of present time, but Jordan was still better.

If I wanted to win, I'd take Jordan. If I wanted a scorer, it would be a toss up (IMO).

Kobe's 81 point night included 7 3's (21 pts) and only 6 boards and 2 assists.

Jordan's 69 point night included only 2 3's and 18 boards with 6 assists.

Back