• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

July 1st..........

Will be doing Doc Wong's group drive with friend on July 8th, everyone is welcome to join.

We're doing a "Driving Skills and Skyline Fun Tour Clinic this weekend!

Come join us in the fun of driving and touring over 100 miles of awesome roads and scenery! Learn new driving skills, improve your driving, have fun and be a better driver.

You don't need to have had any performance driving experience, but learning a bit more about performance driving can definitely make you a safer driver. Come tour with us, all are welcome!

This month's topic: Driving Skills ? Steering Wheel Control and Body Position"

Date: Saturday July 8, 2006

Time: 9:00 am 10:30 am for the talk part of the clinic
10:30 am to 3:00 pm for the tour. Lunch in Davenport at 12:30 pm

Place: Active Life Medical-Chiropractic Center
1391 Woodside Road,
Suite 200
Redwood City, CA 94061

Cost: $0.00

Here's how the day will go:

We meet at my office at 9am and do the talk/clinic part till about 10:30am.

Guest instructors:

Aaron Tachibania: SCCA GTU & GTO driver/owner of Datsun 510, Datsun 280ZX Turbo and Pantera. Finished 4th as a privateer GTU. Currently organizes Car track days for seat time.

or

Chuck McCalmet: President's Cup, Tri-State Championship winner, Marlboro, VIR, Bridgehamptom, IRP, Loudon Enduro Karts winner, race instructor, has tested in a Lotus 23 with the lap record, owned and raced a Shelby GT 350. Past Team Manager and Mechanic with the USA Karting team winning the World Championship in Hong Kong in 1972. He currently drives a Beck 550 Spyder and 911SC!

There will also be a discussion on safety, autocrosses and time trialing.

Then we take off for our tour. We'll stop at Gazos Road and Hwy 1 and the proceed down Hwy 1 to Davenport for lunch. After lunch we take more twisty roads ending up on Hwy 9 and Skyline Blvd (Hwy 35). See below on the complete route and directions to my office.

If you have a family radio bring it. We'll be on Channel 9

Where were you planning on having lunch? You do know that the Davenport Cash Store, and several other places in town, are currently closed, right?

I fortunately found this out from a friend who lives in Davenport before heading down there for a top-off breakfast run down Hwy 1 with my wife (top-off referring to the car, not my wife).

Chip

So Shane - do you intend to actively actually create some NSX events going forward? It's summer already & you are not exactly leading the line here for quite some time now ......
I love you man, but ...........
I know you're busy but if you don't have time for it, pass the baton ....

In case you've forgotten first Sat in the month is the 'scheduled' event & tagging on another shared meet on a different date doesn't count as planning in my book. We had a great year last year - thanks for that! Many fun events! ( Hooters, Stockton, Marin)
The last 9 months have been dry however (Apex Motorsports notwithstanding - however, respectfully, I think that was more down to Mike than you)

Sorry if this sounds like a coup, but Mickeylex (Nalesh) gets my vote for picking up the responsibility as event co-ordinator - (completely unsolicted in his part I might add - I happen to think he'd be perfect for the role)

Last edited:
^^^ I was wondering/thinking the exact same thing the other day. Even the piece about Nalesh :tongue:

Maybe we can set something up for next week. I'm up for doing something on the 8th.

If anyone is interested, I'll be meeting with Sid at the Macaroni Grill in Milpitas (our former meeting place) on Saturday the 1st at 11:30am.

Ken,

thanks for bringing this up, we have a lot of events coming for the rest of the year.

- The Infineon track day is coming up on 7/21,
- The Concourso Italiano is on 8/18
- Sausalito Floating Home Tour on 9/30

I thought if we are able to attend these ones, it should be enough for the next 3 months already. And these ones has been discussed already but not confirm yet:

- Stockton Acura (unsure yet)
- Return of Hooters (again)
- Return of Macky Grill (vytas)

If we like to have more meets on top of the above ones, i'm open for it, but it seems people are pretty busy with the first half of this year. there are 6 more months left for '06, lets bring all the ideas out to the table so we can make plans.

btw, who's mike? Apex was Steve and i have communicated with him regarding the event.

randomharmony said:
btw, who's mike? ...
typo - meant makena88

Sorry man, those 'plans' don't inspire me.
The Infineon track event should be considered as an extra curricular activity, not a regular meet and same for Concourso Italiano (for which I have no interest)
Floating home tour of Sausalito? :confused: Puhlease!!!!!!!!:eek:
Besides I'm thinking of "watching paint dry" that day - sounds more stimulating.

This month is typical of the last 6 (Apex excepting) - here we are on the supposed meeting day & absolutely no planning or even a notice saying it would be deferred for holiday weekend.

I think it would be great to get back to having a regular monthly location we meet at by default on the first Saturday of the month. When there are special events, these can be added as additional event dates, or can replace the regular monthly meet on the first Saturday.

But we can then go back to planning on most all the time having something on the first Saturday of the month, weather permitting, and have a default location for it if nothing special is set up instead. That place could go back to being the Macaroni Grill, or we could find a new better place (perhaps somewhere on the Peninsula). Suggestions?

Anyone else interested in joining Vytas and Sid at Macaroni today in fact? I may get there myself, although it is now short notice.

Chip

There is only one NSXCA club meeting and it is in Sacramento on the last Tuesday of the month, The bay area is a spin off (a weak one) of the Sacramento chapter at least we have official meetings with real NSXCA officers so sac up and come to a real club meeing JMO.

I know its a bit of a drive but I drive an hour as well its worth it! We do not have the car count like the corvetts so we must all stick togather to keep our cars and club alive.

Steve

These are just my thoughts and opinions only

SMGNSX said:
There is only one NSXCA club meeting and it is in Sacramento on the last Tuesday of the month, The bay area is a spin off (a weak one) of the Sacramento chapter at least we have official meetings with real NSXCA officers so sac up and come to a real club meeing JMO.

I know its a bit of a drive but I drive an hour as well its worth it! We do not have the car count like the corvetts so we must all stick togather to keep our cars and club alive.

Steve

These are just my thoughts and opinions only
i'm sure we all appreciate the plug for nsxca-sanctioned events, but it seems to me the 1st sat of month gatherings were open to everyone and unrelated to nsxca... or am i thinking about another exotic car gathering?

queenlives said:
i'm sure we all appreciate the plug for nsxca-sanctioned events, but it seems to me the 1st sat of month gatherings were open to everyone and unrelated to nsxca... or am i thinking about another exotic car gathering?

These posts are the first I have heard about Saturday gatherings from anyone, not even Shane who is a buddy of mine. News does not travel fast around here I guess, It seems to me all of these things should be brought up at the meetings so the Sacto and bay area people are on the same page.JMO

Steve

SMGNSX said:
<snip> It seems to me all of these things should be brought up at the meetings so the Sacto and bay area people are on the same page.JMO
Steve
for the past 5.5 years i've been reading prime, the 1st sat of month lunches / activities have been posted in the NW forum and folks attend as their interest / availability allowed. show up, have a bite, tell war stories and those who wanted would take a drive someplace. they have been open to all - nsxca membership has not been a requirement / preference - if you are aware of the "event" and can make it, you're welcome. although i've observed this has begun to change over the past ~6 months - there have been attempts a having more structured and personal agenda events. i've only attended a few lunches / events over the years, but my take is since you mention it's just a short drive from sacto, folks from sacto would be welcome to drive down and attend the 1st sat of month lunches.

as for having real officers, that's nice: would you guys mind if we rent them from time to time because we're not really sure how to order our lunches and some real officers might come in handy.

earlier posters to this thread: sorry i missed the macaroni grill thing yesterday, didn't see the thread until today. my son's in town and would have liked seeing other nsx's.

hal

I agree that getting back to the Bay Area 1st Saturday lunch meets is a good idea. I miss seeing some of the regulars and getting back to the "default" meet makes it easy for people to show up and have a good time. Of course, if we have a big event, then sign up lists, etc are in order.

Shane set up some amazing events for us last year and I know that keeping that pace year after year is near impossible unless it's your full time job, so I have some ideas I'll run by him to see if we can have the best of both.

For example:

1. Keep the regular lunch meets on the 1st Saturday (or next Saturday if the 1st Saturday is a holiday weekend). If we rotate the lunch location, don't get crazy with it. Just keep it between three to four places that we frequent.

2. Continue with the impromptu coffee meets

3. Have big meets less often than monthly (maybe once a quarter).

Bigger quarterly meets would be a great opportunity for Bay Area NSXCA members to get some of the Northwest budget for events. TK tried to offer some budget for the Apex meet (to help cover the cost of food), but very few people responded, so we didn't get any budget subsidy there.

So, my suggestion is that we could have 12 scheduled lunch meets per year. Possibly four additional "bigger" quarterly meets like Napa Drives, Hwy 1 Drives, Car shows, etc (some of which could replace a scheduled lunch meet) and as many coffee meets as we can.

Shane, you have PM. :smile:

Last edited:
mickeylex said:
1. Keep the regular lunch meets on the 1st Saturday (or next Saturday if the 1st Saturday is a holiday weekend). If we rotate the lunch location, don't get crazy with it. Just keep it between three to four places that we frequent.

2. Continue with the impromptu coffee meets

3. Have big meets less often than monthly (maybe once a quarter).

So, my suggestion is that we could have 12 scheduled lunch meets per year. Possibly four additional "bigger" quarterly meets like Napa Drives, Hwy 1 Drives, Car shows, etc (some of which could replace a scheduled lunch meet) and as many coffee meets as we can.

Shane, you have PM. :smile:

Regarding the standing meets on the first of each month, I'm a newbie... but I like this plan. I especially like the idea of trying other places than just Mac Grill and agree with keeping 3 or 4 places in rotation. I also think that it's only fair that we try to make some of these meets across the bay, as that only seems fair.

I've been wanting to drive so much that I took a drive by myself through 84 to the coast and back. I know you all know better routes, but that one was plenty interesting for me, and it was an easy one to boot.

J

Back