• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

June 12th Mountain Drive Alberta

I just wanted to post this up to get the interest started. I have been in contact with several Calgary owners and as discussed late last year we would like to get a drive organized. I will be joining Royal Rally Badlands on Saturday June 11th and encourage others to look into this one day event. I propose to head out on the morning of Sunday June 12th through Cochrane to Radium to Fields and back to Calgary. It is a longer drive. I am open to suggestions.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Calg...1b652b63a!2m2!1d-114.0708459!2d51.0486151!3e0

I just wanted to post this up to get the interest started. I have been in contact with several Calgary owners and as discussed late last year we would like to get a drive organized. I will be joining Royal Rally Badlands on Saturday June 11th and encourage others to look into this one day event. I propose to head out on the morning of Sunday June 12th through Cochrane to Radium to Fields and back to Calgary. It is a longer drive. I am open to suggestions.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Calg...1b652b63a!2m2!1d-114.0708459!2d51.0486151!3e0

I will be taking a pass on this one. Last year there were a number of reports of unsafe driving. Given the amount of negative press that could come from a serious incident I wouldn't want to be involved. The less negative public opinion directed towards the owners of nice cars the better. If something were to happen that made the news the police harassment of everyone with a nice car would go up. From what I understand participants are scored according to the order they arrive at a checkpoint. Some would argue that encourages and rewards the kind of excess speed and reckless driving that could lead to an incident. The organizers need to find a way to prevent participants from doing stupid things, more than just saying "don't do it", or else the rest of us will get tarred with the same brush. They need to find a structure that won't leave them liable to a lawsuit in the event of a wreck and that won't convict the rest of us in the public eye just because we have a nice car.

PS: For the record, I took part in a Bullrun event and can say without doubt that it was the scariest bit of driving I have seen. Knowing now what I didn't know then I would not take part again.

Last edited:
Your concern is understandable. What about Sunday for a scenic drive. I am joining up because I want to see how they organize the event. I plan on staying at the back of the pack. I did not hear of any incidents. In the video I did see an R8 driving a little crazy.

Last edited:
interested

I would be interested in coming along for this ride but speed would not be my priority. Want to enjoy the ride and scenery and stop along the way at a nice place to grab a lunch and drinks.

June 11:
I am also signed up for the Royal Rally. There will be no shenanigans from me- I'm bringing my wife along, so we will be setting the example for others. I suppose there will be 2 silver NSXs at the back of the pack!

June 12: A long drive in gorgeus country. The interweb says this is 7.5 hours without traffic. Factor in lunch, scenery/photography breaks, plus the inevitable summer construction slowdown and you're at 9.5 hours minimum. That seems a bit long to me, but if it's broken up it will be tolerable and the view are probably worth it.

In the past NSX runs and other charity runs I've participated in there has been at most some "spirited" speeds at times, but never anything approaching stunting or dangerous driving. It's usually just keeping up with traffic flow, and passing sometimes, but nothing crazy. I even remember a pack of NSXs being passed by families in their mnivans, Corollas, and Kias on highway #1 a couple years back, LOL.

It's sad (but not surprising) that other owners don't carry themselves in a similar, more respectful manner. I 100% agree that we all pay for the mistakes of other drivers of "nice" cars who misbehave, both at organized events and on public roads in general. It's in the best interest of all enthusiasts: drivers, organizers, and sponsors to make sure this doesn't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: For the record, I took part in a Bullrun event and can say without doubt that it was the scariest bit of driving I have seen. Knowing now what I didn't know then I would not take part again.

I'd be interested to hear more about this, but offline.
I'm signed up for the Dustball Rally Vegas to Vancouver (kind of like Bullrun lite, on a budget) and would appreciate your perspective.

I agree the trip is a bit long. I will be carrying out with the plan and even if people would like to make a drive out to Banff as a group from Calgary that would be a good drive. I would not be joining on the way back though as I would continue to the next stop.

Back