• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just chillin @ sub-zero!

another:

Attachments

• dry ice containment unit 160 (Medium).jpg
    dry ice containment unit 160 (Medium).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 971
  • dry ice containment unit 161 (Medium).jpg
    dry ice containment unit 161 (Medium).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,008
DAMN.... whats the outside temp at that time? Also how did u get -5F? Explain please :confused:

I think it may be packed with dry ice. Beautiful work Romeo. I can't wait to see the gains you'll get from this latest of your many mods. Kudos mi amigo!

Hey guys,

Glad to see you guys like the dry ice containment unit modification~ DICU.

When I first installed the DICU, the OAT was 96-98F w/ 80% humidity. The unit actually got down to about -7F. I don't know how low my meter can read, but IMO, I thought that was cold. :)

Although the rest of the intercooler did not show signs of having frost, it felt really cold. With all the heat from the engine, the DI lasted 20mins, before evaporating.:(

Readings at idle:
Blower shell / 69F
left side of the DICU /-5F
Middle part of DICU / -7F
1st end tank / 64F
2nd end tank / 54F

Usually, my IAT doesn't read more than 96F@8000rpms, even after driving my car 2hrs on the dyno. I hope to see lower IAT temps, when the car is actually moving, and getting air through the intercooler.

Currently, my car is pushing 452rwhp@325ft/lbs w/ stock 3.0L motor w/o NOS~ 94K on the odometer.

I will be heading to the Dyno within the next few weeks.

Pics w/ the hatch closed.

Attachments

• dry ice containment unit 183 (Medium).jpg
    dry ice containment unit 183 (Medium).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 3,408
  • dry ice containment unit 184 (Medium).jpg
    dry ice containment unit 184 (Medium).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 843
  • dry ice containment unit 185 (Medium).jpg
    dry ice containment unit 185 (Medium).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 841
ohhhhhhhhh i like it a lot.....i like the carbon fiber you got there :D

That's a good idea, I have seen IC's get hit with NOS before to cool them off. You should setup water or meth injection :) I have seen with Meth injection = 110 gas so you can lean the AF's out and add more timing and boost if you can.

Holy Batfrost! That's one cool idea, Romeo. :D

Nice work!
Love all the CF and the hatch!

Thanks for the compliments guys! I hope to see a few more ponys with this mod.... I guess I will see within the next week.

Keep an eye out for thermal stress cracks in your IC welds and between bars/plates. That's a big delta T and I suspect that after enough thermal cycles somethings gotta give locally due to the increased contraction and expansion and overall due to the distortion caused by one side of the IC running much cooler than the other. Mounting the IC using flexures instead of hardpoints might help in this regard. Very creative application of the old "ice cooler" principle. I'd be interested in knowing the delta T created by the cooler plates vs the delta T created by the cooled output tube. I suspect most of the decrease is due to the IC internals and not the tube, but it would be a great data point . . . .

Thanks for pointing that out... I will be sure to keep an eye on the IC.

As for the temps: I will data log the temps with and without the DI. I hope to hit the Dyno within the next week or so.

You are absolutely correct! Most of the decrease is due to the IC, and not the cooled output from the DI. The IC does work very well without the DI unit; the IC temps never exceed 96F on the IC, even after driving the car for long periods at a time.

I'm sure that the DI has created a significant decrease in temp.... I hope to see a significant increase in HP from this mod. :)

ajnsx said:
Beautiful workmanship, well done! It does look like you reassembled a cylon from battlestar galactica! :D

Thanks for the props!

Battlestar Galactica was one of my favorite shows as a kid :)

Back