• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just dyno'd my car.

I just picked up a 1992 NSX. I'd have to say it's the greatest car of all time. everything just makes sense on the car. Anyways I decided to dyno'd at RaceTune in hayward it to see how it does and I did 242 HP at the wheels. This place I go to uses the Dynapack which hooks up directly to your wheel hubs.

The owner was telling me that this system is a lot better than roller dyno's because your car uses it's own weight and is not strapped down to the ground.

Pretty neat.

IMG_9316.JPG

IMG_93252.jpg

dynapacks are very accurate, and the design is such that it creates very consistent results. Roller dynos have many other factors that can affect the readings because of how the car can move a little on the straps on every run etc.

Other benefit of the dynapack is in tuning...you can be running the car at full throttle and the dynapack can easily hold it right at a given rpm. Makes ignition timing a piece of cake.

The only drawback is that since the rotating mass of the wheels is now gone with the dynapack it tends to read higher than a roller dyno like dynojet. But it really depends or whether you want consistent results to track progress from modifications, or just to compare charts with your buddies (usually dynojet graphs)

Congrats on your dyno run. The one and only time I have had my NSX dyno'd the guy forgot that he left the e-brake up and was driving the car with the brake ON the whole time and smoked my brakes!! ARGH!! :(

Congrats on the new car and great dyno runs! Any mods to the X yet or are those stock numbers? Also I don't mean to get off topic, but what are those cars in the background on the second picture? The red one looks like a Vector or Venturi, anyone?

Conor

Meeyatch1 said:
Congrats on your dyno run. The one and only time I have had my NSX dyno'd the guy forgot that he left the e-brake up and was driving the car with the brake ON the whole time and smoked my brakes!! ARGH!! :(

LOL that is to funny!!! :D

ctnsupra1 said:
Congrats on the new car and great dyno runs! Any mods to the X yet or are those stock numbers? Also I don't mean to get off topic, but what are those cars in the background on the second picture? The red one looks like a Vector or Venturi, anyone?

Conor
Car is stock. The red car is a highly modified 2nd gen RX-7. FC3S.

The Dyna-Pak is definitely at the top of my shopping list for our '05 unveiling.
Dyno-Jet has been saying for years that the electromagnetic APU's (additional power units) on the Mustang are totally unecessary, they now offer them as a 12k$ option for the "total" dyno package. The Dyna-Pak more than makes up for lack of wheel by the advantage of lack of wheels which elinates all drivetrain variables from the axels outward. Your numbers are exactly average- a few years ago we had twenty-something cars at a dyno event, with about ten IDENTICAL config bone stock cars. They ranged from 227 to 249, with the average about 242. If I recall, the tourque was somewhere around 188.

Your car seems perfect from where I'm sitting, power-wise.
MB

another thing is to read the ratio they used for the dynapack, it's on the graph. Some guys don't know the gear ratio and FD so they just guess...it can change your numbers. Since there are no wheels, you need the ratio to deliver the HP and Torque for that gear, as the dynapack reads gross torque

Back