• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just got my car back from the dyno but having a problem

So when i full boost in 1st gear and shift to 2nd the car bogs and almost feels like its a "lag on the turbo" or like i redlined totally shuts down but i can hear the turbo spooling. When i do 2nd to the 3rd its not as noticeable but it does slow down.

any idea?

i was reading on how the BOV spring and WG spring should not be the same but in my case they are both 5lbs

Are you hitting the rev limiter?

I have used tial BOV with various springs with litte difference.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate any more on exactly what Is happening? Also, what turbo setup do you have? How much power, is the 'lag' a lack of response when you go to full throttle, or does the problem happen at redline?

Actually , I duplicated the problem today on my car , if you leave TCS on ( the light on the dash is NOT illuminated) when accelerating from 1st to 2nd , the car pauses , the BOV blows off longer than normal , and then the car will pick up again , then I turn TCS of ( light on the dash is illuminated) problem goes away.

Try with TCS off , I doubt you are having an issue with BOV spring , so many others are using exactly what you are (purchased from me) with no issues.

talked with wil today and i think my TCS unit isnt working so when i did turn off my TCS it stll kicked in ima try to just unplug the unit itself and see how that goes.

Yes I just saw another nsx with the same problem , pulled fuse and problem is gone.

fixed :biggrin: feels amazing

Does this mean you can't use traction control with the turbo? It seems this might lead to traction problems with the new found power. I know that my traction light already comes on when I come out of the hairpin turn at the local track with my NA car.

Does this mean you can't use traction control with the turbo? It seems this might lead to traction problems with the new found power. I know that my traction light already comes on when I come out of the hairpin turn at the local track with my NA car.

Yes, you need to disable the TCS when you boost. It will do things similar to the above described. Mine is permanently disable so I don't have to keep pushing the button each time I start my car.

I wouldn't recommend running TC on pretty much any car on the track. You're on a track in a safe environment to learn the limits of the car and yourself. Since the NSX system is so archaic, Its not a good idea for it to try to control over twice the power the system was designed for, that and since its such an old design, its not that great to begin with. It would be a better idea to turn it off/remove it on any turbo car. Its not good enough to save stupidity and even on the track, it can have negative consequences.

maybe good if you drive in rain - MAYBE

I wouldn't recommend running TC on pretty much any car on the track. You're on a track in a safe environment to learn the limits of the car and yourself. Since the NSX system is so archaic, Its not a good idea for it to try to control over twice the power the system was designed for, that and since its such an old design, its not that great to begin with. It would be a better idea to turn it off/remove it on any turbo car. Its not good enough to save stupidity and even on the track, it can have negative consequences.

I've had my car on the track 4-5 times. The first two times were with the local BMW club for "high performence driving" schools and the instructors told us to leave the traction control on. The other times I was just out with friends and have always left the TCS on, because that is what the instructors told us to do and I hadn't given it a second thought. I'll turn it off next time so I can see the difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've had my car on the track 4-5 times. The first two times were with the local BMW club for "high performence driving" schools and the instructors told us to leave the traction control on. The other times I was just out with friends and have always left the TCS on, because that is what the instructors told us to do and I hadn't given it a second thought. I'll turn it off next time so I can see the difference. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm sure those "instructors" were more interested in everyone having a good time, and drive at a very safe 8/10ths and keep the TCS on to save them from an abrupt input. The NSXs TC system isn't as good as more modern BMW units and I would turn it off.

A good thing would be take a car control clinic from Bonderant or Skip Barber racing schools for practice and learn more about vehicle dynamics and why cars do what they do. NSXs have less inherent understeer than BMWs and aren't as forgiving beyond the limit. Due to their mid-engine layout and rear polar moment, bad inputs can equal oversteer much easier than a FR or awd platforms.

I wouldn't go as far as say "snap-oversteer" like many so eagerly throw around, but physics are physics, if you give a responsive/neutral car (like nsx, s2000, viper) bad inputs, it will give you bad outputs. That's not the cars fault biut rather the drivers inexperienced inputs. FR and especially AWD cars aren't typically as neutral and have more built in understeer that dosnt respond as well to bad inputs, but also tend to not be as neutral or responsive.

Its better to look at things from that perspective.

Billy

I removed my TC box completely from the car.

Oh yeah? Well not only did I disable it, but I also removed the TC box completely out of my car. I patched up the TCS button so that it looked like it never existed. Then I put it on the last space shuttle mission and launched it into space towards the sun. Then I fired a long range rocket at it blew it up to tiny pieces. And then I found the original engineer who designed the TC system for the NSX and shot him and launched his carcass into space too. :tongue:

Oh yeah? Well not only did I disable it, but I also removed the TC box completely out of my car. I patched up the TCS button so that it looked like it never existed. Then I put it on the last space shuttle mission and launched it into space towards the sun. Then I fired a long range rocket at it blew it up to tiny pieces. And then I found the original engineer who designed the TC system for the NSX and shot him and launched his carcass into space too. :tongue:

Can you do that to my GF too?

Maybe you're just not a "details" kind of guy-- I see that you failed to have TCS expunged from wikipedia along with all other references made to it throughout history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control_system

Back