• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just had my Wheels powder coated

Advanced Wheel recently moved to a new location in Anaheim. Went out there and spoke with David the owner and had him powder coat my wheels and then use a clear powder coat finish. They came out perfect. You might remember that I had my wheels finished about a year ago. However pot holes and the car wash messed them up again. I was debating buying new wheels, however I really like the look and quality of the OEM wheels. Previously, David sprayed a Ureathane clear coat. To insure a long lasting finish I had these wheels clear coated with a powder material. Also I had the wheels coated on the inside with a clear over that. They came out fantastic and look really good. He has a nice setup as he shares space with a company that sells used wheels. He has a CNC machine to face the wheels, a bake oven ~400 degrees F. to cure the powder, as well as a computerized wheel balance and the appropriate tire changing equipment. Gave me a good turnaround as well. I highly recommend his place

Doctor, it's hard to give a second opinion without photos! :biggrin:

Sorry, it took me a few minutes to reduce the photos so that I could upload them. You can't tell but the wheels are powder coated on all surfaces. I hate that the inside of the wheels get so dirty, so given that these are powdered coated silver then powder coated clear will keep them looking new for a while. Here are a couple other shots I took while at his shop.

David said that he can powder coat just about any metal parts--as long as they can withstand a 400 degree cure. He has special high heat powder for brake calipers (however you would need to remove any rubber seals etcetera.

By the way his address and phone are:

David McLeod
Advanced Wheel Repair (right next door to Santa Ana wheels)
(714) 774-2215
1426 N. Burton Place
Anaheim CA 92806-1204

Manny, those look very cool, can't wait to see them first hand. Any issues programming your mirror for the garage door? :confused:

as for the mirror. I have Genies with rolling code. There is a special technique for setting the garage door function. You basically hold down the two outer Homelink buttons - releasing only when the indicatior light begins to flash (after 20 seconds). Do not hold the buttons for longer than 30 seconds. Do not repeat this step when you program the other buttons. Next press one of the homelink buttons while also holding and pressing the garage door transmitter. It should be approximately 1 to 3 inches away. You will see the indicator light on the mirror start to flash slowly and then rapidly after the homelink successfully receives the frequency signal from the hand held transmitter. Now release both buttons. Next for a rolling code system-go to the garage door opener and find the button (next to one of the light bulbs) that is the learning button. Press it and it will start to blink. You have 30 seconds to go back to your car and press the homelink key that was selected in the previous effort and hold for about 2 seconds, release, then do it again, try again, with my system it took 3 times. Finally, the garage door closed and the system was set. I hope this helps and I am sorry if you did not really want all this information.

sand blast and powder coat cost.

drmanny,
how much was the cost for the powder, I assume it includes sandblasting the wheels also?

Does he also repair curb rash wheels?
Thank you
Danny

He charges approximately $100 per wheel depending on what has to be done. He can repair curb rash and other problems. The price also includes mounting and balance. So I took in new tires. That saved me some money right there. The OEM wheels are very well made and the density is high. Thus they can be cleaned up nicely. He won't repair a broken spoke as it is load bearing and won't take. However he can repair rim damage depending on the particulars. He is really a nice person and cares about his work. He is trying to fix this shop up, so it is a bit messy at the moment. I am really happy with my wheels. I especially like that they were powder coated on the inside and then clear coated with powder over that. I expect they will stay clean and not look so dingy. I had considered getting new wheels but after getting mine back, I am really happy I kept and had them refinished. I bet he would be open to a group buy if you approached him on it. :wink:

Hey Manny, I think your car is one of the cleanist I've seen. Do the wheels still look like factory wheels only shinnier, or do they look "different"?

Anyone know if this place is still in business? Their phone number has been disconnected.
Judging from the lack of personal protective gear, masking, ventilation, sloppy shop and general not caring about the environment, it's no surprise.

Back