Just opened Ameritrade account... what to buy?

dawggpie said:
I do work there, as was implied by the "we" in "we should be going public this week", I thought. I also tried not to give a sales pitch on the company by stating it might be a more risky investment given that it's a new company in a budding market. They are working to improve the reliability of the consumer robots.

There are many other companies in the gov't and industrial robotics fields. I never stated otherwise. For a company of it's size we have done well in attracting gov't business, but you are definitely betting on it's growth by investing in it.

As for hate sites.... you also won't have much trouble finding many iPod hate sites and we all know how crap that product has done =)
thank you dawggpie,good luck with the ipo. :smile:

Alright Mike, I can no longer hold my response in, as a "professional" too, I gave you some good advice on a "private response", which was to save your money if you only had $1,000 to invest, and to use it towards your "new wheels", however..... There has been some good advice on this thread, and that's to put it towards the beginning of an "investment program" by utilizing a mutual fund, closed end fund (at a discount), "I" share, or "ETF", but to look to make a single stock selection for this amount of $$$ and to hit a "homerun", you're better off with your "old habits", and go down the road to AC, and have some fun. Buying a home might end up being a "great investment" over the long term, but I advise all my clients not to look at their home as an investment, because you don't want to "risk" your home. It's not an asset that we use as "discretionary" capital. Please, you do yourself a disservice by looking to make a one time shot. Responsible investing, and smart decisions are part of planning. In the old days, I used to manage 400 Financial Planners, and I took from them some good advice...."Most people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan". Mike make a plan, and execute it. JMHO :smile:

RPM217 said:
Alright Mike, I can no longer hold my response in, as a "professional" too, I gave you some good advice on a "private response", which was to save your money if you only had $1,000 to invest, and to use it towards your "new wheels", however..... There has been some good advice on this thread, and that's to put it towards the beginning of an "investment program" by utilizing a mutual fund, closed end fund (at a discount), "I" share, or "ETF", but to look to make a single stock selection for this amount of $$$ and to hit a "homerun", you're better off with your "old habits", and go down the road to AC, and have some fun. Buying a home might end up being a "great investment" over the long term, but I advise all my clients not to look at their home as an investment, because you don't want to "risk" your home. It's not an asset that we use as "discretionary" capital. Please, you do yourself a disservice by looking to make a one time shot. Responsible investing, and smart decisions are part of planning. In the old days, I used to manage 400 Financial Planners, and I took from them some good advice...."Most people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan". Mike make a plan, and execute it. JMHO :smile:

perfectly said rog. no bling, no bling.

PAUL M said:
Check out INSM Its called insmed. Trading at 1.18 They just had a growth hormone drug approved. The play is that there is a similar drug from another co. TRCA. INSM is waiting to find out if they have approval from the fda to market and sell the drug. Dec 12th is the date of the announcement. Its a cheap enough stock where you could prob make a little money on it. 1000.00 isnt to much money to make grow on real stocks
I own 15k shares so my money is where my mouth is.
happy investing
Paul M

Anyone check this one out? I got lucky its up to 2.40!! Ok what supercharger should I buy? LOL

Extra points for using "myriad" correctly.

splitz said:
Here's a stock tip....dont take stock tips!

Now that that is out of the way, I've had good success with RAVN -> a little volatile, but hang in there
Another one to look into is FLEX (flextronics) It is an affordable stock that has taken a beating for a myriad of reasons, but the good news is they are a parts supplier for the XBOX 360. Also look at any of the parts suppliers for the consoles that are coming out.

PAUL M said:
Check out INSM Its called insmed. Trading at 1.18 They just had a growth hormone drug approved. The play is that there is a similar drug from another co. TRCA. INSM is waiting to find out if they have approval from the fda to market and sell the drug. Dec 12th is the date of the announcement. Its a cheap enough stock where you could prob make a little money on it. 1000.00 isnt to much money to make grow on real stocks
I own 15k shares so my money is where my mouth is.
happy investing
Paul M

Great stock tip.... Steak dinner on the folks from Bridgewater Acura. We all bought it on your advice. Any other tips?:biggrin:

Darn, I havent been on this forum in a while. here are my picks for the new year.

here are my recent purchases:

Stocks:
GROW
AEA
EEEE
ATVI

ETFs:
EWT
EWW

Has anyone made good $$ from the rallies in the new year? any new stock tips for 2006? Lets run this back guys.

aapl, sndk, yhoo & goog have done reasonably well these past 12 months.... (although, not giving advice - who knows when this sh*t's all gonna blow up :)

queenlives said:
aapl, sndk, yhoo & goog have done reasonably well these past 12 months.... (although, not giving advice - who knows when this sh*t's all gonna blow up :)

I could just about puke about aapl. I had 5k shares at ~19 and sold them at ~24, before the whole ipod thing. ARRRRR.:mad: :mad: If I had held on I would have ~$763,000. I still made ~25k but man I left a ton of money on the table:frown: :frown:

steveny said:
I could just about puke about aapl. I had 5k shares at ~19 and sold them at ~24, before the whole ipod thing. ARRRRR.:mad: :mad: If I had held on I would have ~$763,000. I still made ~25k but man I left a ton of money on the table:frown: :frown:

Lucikly you dont own a revolver:biggrin: Thats alot of NSX's :eek:

I did the same friggen thing with OSIP. Sold calls on my shares the day before it went from the 30's to the 90's in one day.
Still made money but way less than I could have.

BTW all I own are semi auto's, no revolvers..:biggrin:

The Kid said:
Great stock tip.... Steak dinner on the folks from Bridgewater Acura. We all bought it on your advice. Any other tips?:biggrin:

Thats great. Glad to hear you bought some. A cold beer will do :biggrin:
No tips right now but If something comes along I'll let you know.
I've just been flipping ALTR (altera) around but its a 19 dollar stock that usually stays in the same trading range.

Paul M

$1000? You're gonna get killed on commissions, I would just buy a mutual fund with $1000 and get access to diversification and some idea of return expectations. IShares or ETFs don't bother with stocks with 1K

I think the reason the Easter Bunny never retired is because he took some bad investment advice and put all his eggs in one basket.

Not giving you advice, but just chiming in my opinion.

with such a low $ amount, I would play with high risk. If you make a 10 or 20% gain, which is strong, you only make $100-200. Does not change your lifestyle...or does it? :wink: But you need to invest into something that is going to be all or nothing...0 return or multiples on your money.

If I only had $1000, I would buy the call or put options on the underlying stocks. Gives you a larger #of share position, however, you lose all your premium if the options expire worthless.

I started with $1000 and now Im at $1450. I wasnt expecting to get rich, this was just for fun when I was bored at work.

supra2nv said:
Not giving you advice, but just chiming in my opinion.

Does not change your lifestyle...or does it? :wink:

If I only had $1000.

No need to go there:rolleyes: $1000 is nothing to me. Its not like im a millionare, but I make way over 6 figures and have more than $1000 disposable to play with. My dad lost over a quarter million in the stock market and I just wanted to play around with some stocks. Im hoping you were just kidding around.

The Kid said:
No need to go there:rolleyes: $1000 is nothing to me. Its not like im a millionare, but I make way over 6 figures and have more than $1000 disposable to play with. My dad lost over a quarter million in the stock market and I just wanted to play around with some stocks. Im hoping you were just kidding around.

lil bit sensative there arn't you sunshine? and yes, my "lifestyle" comment was not to make fun of you but to make a point about what MY strategy would be with such a low $ amount.

relax. thanks.

supra2nv said:
lil bit sensative there arn't you sunshine? and yes, my "lifestyle" comment was not to make fun of you but to make a point about what MY strategy would be with such a low $ amount.

relax. thanks.
supra,

my 2 cents, but my take is he was responding to your "or does it?
:rolleyes: " . although he told me more than i wanted/needed to know about his income level, etc, his basic "ain't gonna change my life" response seems fair to me.

hal
(who needs to make more money to feed his two big cats)

supra2nv said:
HOLY crap, people take jokes too seriously this early in the day lol.

EARLY? Obviously you have no compassion or thought for those of us who live on the East coast.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Back