• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kenwood DNX-8120 Double DIN NAV UNIT...

I believe that the Kenwood DNX-8120 with built in Garmin Navigation will be the best Double Din unit for the NSX.

It comes out in March or April.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/DNX8120

http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2008/02/cool-video-kenw.html

What's your opinion?

Ian

DNX-8120.jpg

Last edited:
Kenwood it easy to function i think , and it depend on what function that you use for it . I only go with Alpine they really easy to use .

Andy

Hey Guys:

I want to share with you the great pre-delivery pricing I just received for the new DNX-8120 that is being released by Kenwood within the very short future.

There is an authorized Kenwood dealer that is associated with the Z350 forum. The gentleman whose name is Nazar extended to all the Z350 board members a pre-delivery price of $1280. This new unit will retail for $1600 once it comes out.

I just pre-ordered 3 of these units by putting down $100 for each unit on my credit card. When I ordered my 3 Kenwood DNX-8120 units I asked Nazar if he would please extend the same pricing to the rest of the boys on NSX Prime, and he said most certainly he would. If you call to order just let him know your from the NSX Board.

So if any of you are contemplating purchasing the Kenwood DNX-8120, if you call Nasar at 603-642-4222, you to can enjoy this pre-delivery pricing.

Here is a link to Nasar's website which is called Wicked Car Audio Systems.

http://www.wickedcas.com/frontpage.php

Hope some find this of help and savings !

Ian

I pre-ordered through Nazar as well. He has a good reputation, especially in the Supra community, and has some really quality custom products he makes and ships as well. Ian, did you find out what's the latest timeframe as to when the 8120 will be available?

What a killer deal...thanks fo the heads up:smile:

It has everything.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just got a 91 NSX and the factory stereo has seen better days. This sounds like a great head unit but what would you recommend for the rest of the system and what would the installation look like?

Thanks!
Randy

This is what I am having installed.

I bought from Zeetoolman here on this board his speaker plates that allow you to use 6.5" speakers. I bought a pair of 6.5" Focal 165K2P UV.

I also bought from Zeetoolman a V3 Sub with the 10" Hurricane sub-woofer.

For the amp I am going with the new Alpine PDX 4-150, and for the head unit I am going with the new Kenwood DNX-8120.

I can't wait till it's all installed.

Ian

This is what I am having installed.
I bought from Zeetoolman here on this board his speaker plates that allow you to use 6.5" speakers. I bought a pair of 6.5" Focal 165K2P UV.

I also bought from Zeetoolman a V3 Sub with the 10" Hurricane sub-woofer.

For the amp I am going with the new Alpine PDX 4-150, and for the head unit I am going with the new Kenwood DNX-8120.

Except for a different set of components, thats exactly what I'll be having installed too.

Hey Nick, two great minds with the same two great cars, thinks a like !

Nazar called me today, letting me know he got word they are being shipped to him either next week or the week after. So it would look like no longer than two weeks and Nazar will start to ship us our new Kenwood DNX-8120's.

Anyone wanting to get in on Nazar's pre delivery pricing, now's the time to jump on it.

Ian

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just got a 91 NSX and the factory stereo has seen better days. This sounds like a great head unit but what would you recommend for the rest of the system and what would the installation look like?

Hi Randy

No stupid questions here.

I am not a stereo guy so I have taken advice from the stereo gurus on this site. Therefor I have bought Seas Lotus Reference series kit for the "front" and I hope to find a 10" sub which is equal to the Phase Linear Aliante.

I will in the end also have a Kenwood DDX8022BT (the european version with no NAV) and have some Seas Lotus amps in the luggage compartment.

As for looks you just have to search around this forum. There are quite a lot of people that have posted pictures of their install.

Check out the double din thread here. There are some pictures there.

Also some pictures here

Regards

There was some discussion of this deck, the 812, 7120, 712, 5120 and 512 on the Double DIN thread. Yes and I agree, this is the best DD deck to get for 2008.

Can't agree more! I was going to use the Acura CSX-S Head Unit since it would match my interior and Zanardi Silver Interior... but when I saw this come out... I said fuggedaboutit! :)

Hey Guys:

I want to share with you the great pre-delivery pricing I just received for the new DNX-8120 that is being released by Kenwood within the very short future.

There is an authorized Kenwood dealer that is associated with the Z350 forum. The gentleman whose name is Nazar extended to all the Z350 board members a pre-delivery price of $1280. This new unit will retail for $1600 once it comes out.

I just pre-ordered 3 of these units by putting down $100 for each unit on my credit card. When I ordered my 3 Kenwood DNX-8120 units I asked Nazar if he would please extend the same pricing to the rest of the boys on NSX Prime, and he said most certainly he would. If you call to order just let him know your from the NSX Board.

So if any of you are contemplating purchasing the Kenwood DNX-8120, if you call Nasar at 603-642-4222, you to can enjoy this pre-delivery pricing.

Here is a link to Nasar's website which is called Wicked Car Audio Systems.

http://www.wickedcas.com/frontpage.php

Hope some find this of help and savings !

Ian

That is a great price... I'm going to have to call my old store and see what I can get it at!

Thanks!
Randy

I think if you had to ask one of us today, we'd all probably say the following:

1) This Headunit... (Kenwood DNX8120)
2) Front Speakers of your liking, Focal tend to be the top pick, but I chose 7" Dynaudio 242 GTs and am going to have to do some creative ish for mounting the tweeters. :tongue: I got Custom Speaker Plates cut in 7" though from ZETOOLMAN.
3) Amps are usually a very personal thing, and I've seen many people use decent quality amps that they already have in their possession from other Audio projects. This one I've never really seen one paticular brand come out more then the other. Just no cheap Walmart Amps please! (Most remove their spare tire tool kit and try and hide a well vented amp in there so it takes no space up in your trunk.
4) I'm using a ZETOOLMAN V3 sub box with the Earthquake Sub. I haven't installed it yet, but we've built quite a few boxes from Boston Acoustics Pro 10s and have great results.
5) Many recently have been adding a Backup Camera as its nice to have...

Malibu Rapper is still in the industry, and I got out back in 05. ALOT changes in 3 years where everything you know product wise means nothing!!! He's probably one of your best people to ask right now.

The Alpine PDX 4.150 is an awesome amp and sooo small for the footprint. I use that amp currently in my s2000 running a set of Focal components up front and 1 JL10w6v2 subwoofer. The system plays as loud as I want top up or down and not a single complaint.

I may use the same amp in the NSX but I also have a new Audison LRx 2 channel amp that I may use but it's significally larger in terms of size.

Decisions, decisions.....

this is my setup in the s2000:

amprack_2.jpg

driverdoor_1-1.jpg

DSCN4678.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Re: Kenwood DNX-9140 Double DIN NAV UNIT...

Has anyone heard about Kenwoods 2009 DNX-9140, the successor/upgrade to Kenwoods flagship 2008 DNX-8120 Double DIN NAV UNIT?

Here are some details I have found on the 9140, from the sounds of it this will be one impressive unit...

kenwood_dnx_9140_avn-580x354.jpg

With one-touch access to entertainment, navigation, and Bluetooth technology, Kenwood’s flagship DNX9140 is the ultimate all-in-one multimedia receiver.

General Features
• 2DIN 6.98” Wide VGA TFT Active Matrix Display with Reverse Tilt™ Mechanism
• Built-in Advanced Garmin® Navigation With USA, Canada, PR, Alaska, Hawaii Mapping
• Built-In Bluetooth by Parrot®
• Advanced Speech Recognition
• MSN Direct / TMC Traffic Ready
• Built-In 5.1 DSP With Digital Time Alignment & 13-Band Parametric EQ
• 24-Bit Digital-To-Analog Converter
• DVD-Video / DiVX Playback
• iPhone/iPod Audio Video USB Direct Control With Alphabet Search
• Multi-Language GUI Menu
• Variable Colour Illumination
• Selectable Wallpapers & Customizable Backgrounds
• SAT Ready (Requires CA-SR20V + Sirius SC-C1 Tuner or KCA-XM100V + XM Mini Tuner)
• HD Radio Ready
• Triple 5.0 Volt Pre-outs
• 2 x USB Inputs, 2 x AV Inputs, 1 x Rear Camera Input, 1 x AV Output,
• 2 x External Switches For Relay Control Outputs for garage doors, lighting, trunk, etc.
• Firmware upgradeable (go to www.kenwood.com/cs/ce for latest firmware versions)
• 2-Year Warranty

Wide VGA Monitor
The flagship DNX9140 features a high-quality touchscreen Wide VGA monitor featuring over 1.152 million pixels. With outstanding brightness, response time and improved viewing angle, this monitor is sure to impress any viewer! Features include:
• Three Selectable Wallpapers
• Customizable Backgrounds (Up to three by USB upload)
• Multi-Language GUI Menu

Built-In Advanced Navigation - Guidance by Garmin®
This integrated advanced navi system guides you everywhere with ease and is beautifully displayed on a large 6.98” screen. All functions are intuitively controlled by touchscreen menus and voice guidance works over the vehicle’s speaker system. There is no need to swap map discs since it comes with a built-in full-memory Garmin Navigation board that features maps of Canada, continental USA, Hawaii and Alaska. New navigation functions include:
• Roadside Assistance
• Phone Number Search / Call (Using BT)
• Brand Icon
• Gas Mileage Analysis
• Vehicle Maintenance
• Mileage Tracker

Built-In Bluetooth - Powered by Parrot®
The built-in Bluetooth hands-free system enables easy, safe cellular phone communications from the car. Features include:
• High-quality noise cancelling microphone
• Register Up To 5 Bluetooth phones
• Holds up to 1000 phone numbers per registered phone
• Supports Auto Phonebook Download
• Supports A2DP Wireless Music Streaming
• Supports Voice Recognition Dialing
• Supports incoming/outgoing short-message service (SMS)
• Not all features work on all phones
• Bluetooth firmware upgradeable (go to www.kenwood.com/cs/ce for latest firmware version)

iPhone/iPod Audio Video USB Direct Control
Kenwood Multimedia receivers connect seamlessly with most iPods and the new iPhone 3G featuring audio video playback via a KCA-iP301V iPod Audio Video USB Direct Cable. Features include:
• Alphabet Search
• Supports Album Art
• Supports Audio & Video Content Including Content Purchased From iTunes With DRM
• Supports Up To 12Mbps transfer speeds
• Powers and Charges Compatible iPhone/iPods
• Compatible models include:
• iPhone 3G
• Touch
• iPod Classic
• iPod Video (5th/6th Gen)
• iPod Nano (1st/2nd/3rd Gen)
• Must update iPhone/iPod using iTunes for the latest Apple firmware

Advanced Speech Recognition (Voice Control)
Only available on the flagship Excelon DNX9140 receiver, Voice Control gives you hands-free control over most your system by using only your voice! Voice Control supports six languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Spanish & Italian) and can perform the following detailed functions:
• Source Selection
• Basic Operation For Each Source
• Volume Adjustment
• iPod / USB / DVD Source Content Selection
• Sirius / XM Source Channel Search

Reverse Tilt™ Mechanism
Depending on the vehicle, in-car monitors are installed in a variety of heights and angles, and this sometimes results in reduced visibility due to reflected glare from sunlight. Kenwood’s solution is the exclusive Reverse Tilt™ mechanism: in addition to the traditional tilt mechanism that allows the bottom of the monitor to be tilted forward over 5 positions, Reverse Tilt™ also allows the top of the monitor to tilt forward to eliminate reflected glare.

Built-In Sirius Satellite Protocol
Kenwood Multimedia products offer more value by including a Sirius SSP interface. By simply adding a Kenwood CA-SR20V adapter cable, you can connect a Sirius SC-C1C tuner or a SC-VDOC1 car dock cradle for your portable Sirius tuner.

Last edited:
Back