• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Key Illumination question...

Hello Prime,

Does anyone know if the key illumination ring was an 'option' for the 2002-2005 NSX when purchasing new?

I purchased my 2003 last yr without it being lit. So recently, I took her into Acura dealership for a service and inquired about it. They opened the steering column and found that the entire key illumination unit was not there. Stumped, they called their own help desk and this dept claimed it was a option when purchased.

Could someone shed a light on this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
they are wrong, so if you paid extra you would get the illum key but this was standard on any honda DX base car across the board.

that doesnt make sense.

or they didnt really take take anything apart to check.

how much did they charge you for this "look see"

Last edited:
Shawn,

So im not following your comment on illuminaiton being an option? In wiki, it states " changes for 97...'Ignition switch light went away to make room for the immobilizer antenna.'".

When the dealership opened the steering column, they only found the immobilizer antenna where the illumination unit supposed to be.

So you are saying there was an option to also order the illumination post 97 models?

Does anyone know if this is an easy add-on option?

And what are the parts to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Can't fault the OP's dealership as it is confusing because the later model cars have the illumination and immobilizer on the parts list. Just looking at it, looks like one was an option. May be another mistake like others in the service manual.

NRG,
I don't think it would be worth the trouble. You would have to disable the immobilizer and probably buy a lockset from an earlier car which is over $500. You may be able to buy a couple of the illumination parts and rig up something but the immobilizer would have to go.

It wouldn't be to hard to do an aftermarket kit where you can keep the immobilizer. I was supposed to look at doing that for someone a couple of years ago but been working away from my car since then. No way to work on it without parts in hand.

fyi.. The immobilizer receiver mounts on the lockset where the illumination used to be.

Mike

thanks...i guess I'll live without one :) I was hoping it would be something simple and cheap to buy and add it on.

NRG,
I don't think it would be worth the trouble. You would have to disable the immobilizer and probably buy a lockset from an earlier car which is over $500. You may be able to buy a couple of the illumination parts and rig up something but the immobilizer would have to go.

It wouldn't be to hard to do an aftermarket kit where you can keep the immobilizer. I was supposed to look at doing that for someone a couple of years ago but been working away from my car since then. No way to work on it without parts in hand.

fyi.. The immobilizer receiver mounts on the lockset where the illumination used to be.

Mike

How helpful is this light? I haven't missed it in my 97/99, and I don't remember it at all in my 91.

How helpful is this light? I haven't missed it in my 97/99, and I don't remember it at all in my 91.

The bulb was probably burned out :wink:.

I don't know how helpful the oem one is because it's a little limited with that one small bulb. A glowing ring would look more modern and i think would be useful, at least a little. By glowing i just mean a ring lit up the same amount all the way around instead of a single bulbs "hotspot".

Mike

Last edited:
Back