• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keyboard shorcuts while writing a post

Hi Lud,

i've noticed this for a while, but only now it bugged me enough to write this

While writing/editing a post, i used to use the keyboard shortcuts, like "CTRL-B" for Bold, and for whatever reason, at some point, this function stop working and now i have to use the mouse to click the buttons directly.

Is this some option you can turn on/off or is it lost forever?

Thanks for your attention,
Nuno

I have no idea because I never used keyboard shortcuts. I am not aware of any setting in vBulletin related to that.

I never used those shortcuts, but I just tried while typing this post, and hitting CTRL-B works as a shortcut right now.

OK then I expect it's either browser/OS related, or possibly which message editor you are using on the site (under User CP / Options).

Hi,

I think it's not browser/OS related as it happens everytime, everywhere:

- Home = Win7 Ultimate with Chrome (primary), Firefox and IE8

- Work = Win XP Prof with Chrome (primary), Firefox and IE8

i only use Chrome, but i tried both Firefox and IE and still hapens.

About the message editor i have selected, it's the "Enhanced Interface: Full WYSIWYG Editing".

I wrote this still with the same settings and shortcut won't work....next post will be with another editor choice.

Nuno

Hi,

well.... any of the 3 choices of editor don't get me the shortcuts to work.... weird stuff, as it always worked until a couple of months ago.... something must have happened, and i don't really know what...(maybe a vB update?! editor update?!)

it's not a big issue at all, as i actually used them, i noticed the change.

Thanks,
Nuno

The problem is this: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95910

We need to be on vbulletin 4.1.3 or higher in order to get the WYSIWYG capability in Chrome. It's never worked for me in Chrome, but I just tried it in IE and it works just fine.

WYSIWYG is a separate issue, but that is interesting and I never noticed it because I don't generally use the WYSYWIG editor.

I just tested in Chrome 21.0.1180.89 and IE 9.0.8112.16421 (slightly out of date since I rarely use IE) on the same Win7 computer. In the basic editor mode the keyboard shortcut of CTRL-B inserts the [ B ] [ /B ] codes in IE but not in Chrome.

Note that this is NOT the same as WYSIWYG because IE is just inserting the codes, not actually bolding the text in the editor in a WYSIWYG fashion. If I turn on WYSYWIG editor then yeah it works in IE and not in Chrome, but Chrome won't even insert the [ B ] codes in the regular editor when you hit CTRL-B while IE9 will.

UnhuZ it's interesting that you can't get it in IE8 since I doubt you reverted to IE8 from 9, but maybe it got broken at some point in IE8 so give 9 a try. I confirmed that the IE9 version above running on Win7 works for both inserting the BB codes in the basic editor as well as full WYSYWIG editor support.

I guess it's also possibly related to a setting in the browsers, but I'm not going to go digging for it.

Hi,

as i said, it's not a big deal, just a funtionality that i noticed it stopped working...

I use the same instalation of OS both at work and home for more than 1 year, with automatic updates OFF, but it's highly likely that Chrome updated itself recently.

What puzzles me is that i don't get it to work on the 3 browsers either at work OR at home...

i will try it using MAC OS with Chrome and Safari when i'm with my sister, to just check it.

weird thing anyway.

Nuno

Hi,

Just noticed that the shortcuts work on NSXCB, which is using "vBulletin® Version 4.2.0". I just sent a PM there in the last 2m.

So... the only thing different here is the vBulletin release (prime is "vBulletin® Version 3.8.7").... the OS, PC and browser are the same.

EDIT: i use "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" on NSXCB.

Thanks,
Nuno

Last edited:
Never knew about this but is working in Win7-64 IE9.

My problem is the cursor disappears all the time in the text box so i don't know where it is untill i type. That and the fact the spell check doesn't work with 64 bit win.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi,

Just noticed that the shortcuts work on NSXCB, which is using "vBulletin® Version 4.2.0". I just sent a PM there in the last 2m.

So... the only thing different here is the vBulletin release (prime is "vBulletin® Version 3.8.7").... the OS, PC and browser are the same.

EDIT: i use "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" on NSXCB.

Thanks,
Nuno

yes... WYSIWYG in Chrome requires vB 4.x

But simply using keyboard shortcuts to insert BB code like [ B ] works on the version we're using in certain browsers.. For example it works in IE9 for at least me and Comtec. It doesn't work in current versions of Chrome.

We'll be upgrading to vB4 fairly soon.. I'd hoped to get a lot more feedback from the vb4 test site I set up a while ago and asked folks to try and comment on, but if that doesn't happen I guess I'll just implement features as I see fit and maybe revisit them after a month or so if they don't seem to be working out.

Never knew about this but is working in Win7-64 IE9.

My problem is the cursor disappears all the time in the text box so i don't know where it is untill i type. That and the fact the spell check doesn't work with 64 bit win.

Mike

Spell check works for me on Win7 64-bit.

The cursor disappearing sounds a lot like a Windows setting or driver issue.. I always have a blinking vertical bar showing current typing location, as well as an "I" shaped mouse cursor in the text box.

Back