• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kids' Day - July 25, 2012

In the process of making the reservation at The Falls, as everyone who knows me knows, this is an event that you need to do each and every year. There is no better feeling than putting a smile on the face of a child that has known more pain and suffering than any child should. Sharing your pride and joy with them, can do this. Plus you get to hang out with some incredible people as an added bonus!!!

Well said RPM. This is "the" event of the summer, so get up there folks and light up some smiles. :smile::smile:

I got my confirmation from the Falls Hotel, so I'll see you all there. One of my rides last year (shown in the link to last year's event) was undergoing chemo at the time.:frown: I hope she's back again this year.:smile:

Last edited:
I'm in.
Got a room at the Falls Hotel.
I doubt I'll arrive in time for the dinner but would
appreciate knowing where it is, I might arrive for desert.

Evans

Fords? What's wrong with Fords? OK, they are not as special to me as my NSX was, but they sure go like hell with an SC.

whipple1sm.jpg

Hope to see you'all the end of July.

And here's something for those who decide at the last minute. I spoke to Track Masters directly about this. This weekend is the one weekend a year you don't need to be pre-registered to get on the track. So if you decide on Tuesday that you want to do the kids day lap thing at The Glen just show up and pay your $60 on Wednesday 7/25 and have a good time. That's what I do every year.

Last edited:
New to the NSX scene, but knew nothing of this event.
I live about 35minutes from the Glen and would love to know more and be there.
-Jeff

kids day is a combination event that occurs at Watkins Glen. The night before we get together for a dinner together at the Glenora Winery. THere is a 2 day track event run by Trackmasters. During the 1st day kids and their counselors from a local camp that is for childresn with cancer (some years for kids who have a parent or sibling with cancer) join us and we give them laps around the track. There are all different type of cars there. The kids get a couple of turns zipping around the track as a passenger which allows them to forget for a short time some of their difficulties. Helmets and safety gear is not required since we are all going at 'Road Speeds' :)

Do a search above for Kids Day and you'll see pictures from previous years.

If you want to go there is no 'sign up' for the Kids Day part of it; there is a 60 dollar fee that you just pay when you get there. There will probably be more information regarding dinner prior with a sign up for that along with where, when and cost. Many of us travel just for the Kid's Day portion with a few folks doing the entire 2day track event.

Bravo; What town do you live in? I'm from the crossroad town of Berkshire, 20 miles north of Owego. I'll be attending Kid's Day, and hope to see a lot of friends there.
Do you folks that stay overnight at the Falls meet somewhere for a group breakfast before heading to the track? If you do, let me know where, and what time. Maybe I could meet you for breakfast. Howard

Last edited:
Thanks folks for the reply.
Haven't driven the "new" course since I did it with enduro karts back in the early 70's, so it'll be fun.
Added to my calendar.
Oh, and I live up near Ithaca... just up the road!:smile:

Hi Howard,
There are a few of us that stay at the Falls that use to go to Toby's in town (use to have awesome Old Fashioned Blueberry Donuts and I don't typically eat donuts), but last year it wasn't as good so started to go to the blue and white building restaurant in town (a woman's name I think?). This was typically early since the group all tracked their cars.

Some of the more highfalutin members stay at The Lodge. They probably have breakfast served in bed by a large wait staff (quantity, not size) so . . .

If you are at dinner we can coordinate, if not then just send your cell to one of us and we'll text you with breakfast information unless the 6:00/6:30 timeframe is a little early for you.
Pooh

We may not be tracking our cars this year, but perhaps some well-intended cajoling of the Don could increase the chances of that happening.

Last edited:
We may not be tracking our cars this year, but perhaps some well-intended cajoling of the Don could increase the chances of that happening.
Original or copy?
:wink::eek:

Looking in to popping up for this event in on my way back home from a family visit (my family is up in the Rochester area). A few questions/clarifications:

1. Sounds like most people show up Tuesday afternoon & do dinner and then head out Wed late afternoon?

2. I haven't ever tracked my car, for a more casual track event like this should I still be considering new brake pads? what sort of tire wear will I face? I am going to drive another couple hundred miles back to DC and want to be sure I will be safe for that after track time.

Or for a track rookie like me is it just best to pass on this.

I like the idea of the event as I like kids, but I also want to be safe.

Looking in to popping up for this event in on my way back home from a family visit (my family is up in the Rochester area). A few questions/clarifications:

1. Sounds like most people show up Tuesday afternoon & do dinner and then head out Wed late afternoon?

2. I haven't ever tracked my car, for a more casual track event like this should I still be considering new brake pads? what sort of tire wear will I face? I am going to drive another couple hundred miles back to DC and want to be sure I will be safe for that after track time.

You will not be tracking the car with kids in it, you will be driving around the car as if you were on a road. No special prep required. The Kids event takes about an hour and you rotate kids as they line up and go to different cars.

You have to sign up for the school to drive the track at speed and that part of the event may not be available to you if you have not done that before. for that event you need to pass tech inspection in advance, helmet, etc. You can get info when you are there if you are interested in the future.

See you there,

Tytus

Make sure to get to the track by 11:00 am if you wish to have any hope of getting out on track.It is a casual event,but hectic.

Janet and I will definitely be there. That week was one of the few not taken at her job so she grabbed it today. I'm going to take the week off as well. It will be my first full week since I went to NSX Fiesta in Japan.

Last edited:
Good thing Joe otherwise we might have to bounce you out of the club as a no-show! We'd keep Janet of course!

Glad to see we will have some newer members joining us at the Glen and we're looking forward to the dinner plans for Tuesday night Bob.

Roger, cajol The Don, The Original and anyone else you think could help. Though I am very excited to go and be with everyone as well as take the kids on the track, I would like to be up there tracking my car (even if it pales in comparison to everyones NSX's) as well.

blue_myriddn and anyone else attending for the first time: We're glad you're attending another event! Yes, most folks will show up for dinner the night before, stay local, then head to the track and hang out the next day.

We'll have a canopy out that many of us will congregate at so if you have room for a couple of chairs throw them in the car. If not there will probably be plenty there. Those not attending the HPDE typically leave in the late afternoon (often there is a caravan heading back towards NY with a group heading south down to 287/31.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

As Bob mentioned we are finalizing plans for Kid's Day. Tuesday evening is out typical get together and we either do our Dinner or we go to Camp Good Days for our "NSX Car Show".. Regardless we need urgently a headcount and list of folks who will attend(right now we most likely we end up at Camp Good Days)

Please add you name to the list ASAP so we can provide a headcount:).

Attendees:

LarryB
Joe and Janet Lomoriello
Roger
Don and Carla
Pete and Sylvia
Howard
Johnny +3
Frank and Jan
Tytus
Randy
Charlie
Jesse
Jeff

Thanks,
LarryB

Last edited:
As Bob mentioned we are finalizing plans for Kid's Day. Tuesday evening is out typical get together and we either do our Dinner or we go to Camp Good Days for our "NSX Car Show".. Regardless we need urgently a headcount and list of folks who will attend(right now we most likely we end up at Camp Good Days)

Please add you name to the list ASAP so we can provide a headcount:).

Attendees:

LarryB
Joe and Janet Lomoriello
Roger
Don and Carla
Pete and Sylvia
Howard
Johnny +3
Ron and Ginnie
Frank and Jan
Tytus
Randy
Charlie
Jesse
Jeff

Thanks,
LarryB

Sorry Larry we will not be able to attend the dinner on Tuesday, but I will be there on Wednesday

Back