• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kind of hard to understand Type S review

Honda has done this in F1 a few times a well. Put in a ton of R&D, tweaked their original offering until it's really really good then bail onto a new project. It's like they climb a mountain, get to the top and check a box and move on to the next thing (which might not be soon or as good) I appreciate this in a way but it means they never stay at the top of X market.

The review makes it sound like you should just buy a normal NC1?

These reviews are also not something to really pay attention to when it comes to numbers. This is a late in the game review and the press car they got was likely well used by then.

I have always thought of Honda as an engineering driven company from a DNA standpoint. They are a proud company that marches to the beat of their own drummer. And the world is full of those who provide critiques. Obviously they are entitled to their opinion, however I don’t agree with their observations.

The 2017 NSX represents a milestone car for a number of reasons. A hybrid supercar at a price point that is extraordinary given the competition. Fantastic looking design. Reliable as well as economical in it’s day to day operation.

Typical of Honda small incremental improvements introduced over the years. The changes that occurred in 2019 as well as 2022 are the result of living with the car. To suggest that they should have been introduced in the beginning is lame and the author demonstrates his lack of expertise and understanding of how things evolve.

I suggest that if the Type S NSX were the original car, not much would have changed in terms of Sales as well as acceptance. Kind of makes me laugh.

From reading many of the criticisms of the car, I have come to understand that had the car sold for under $75,000, had 700hp and a 0 to 60 of 2.5 seconds, with a 1/4 mile at 10.2 at 135mph, made lots of noise, and was a stick shift then it would have been a success. Ya think?

Last edited:
He seemed to be very proud of the fact that he had some knowledge of the GM Honda alliance and then worked backward...not a very helpful review...but most have written it off because they are all spoken for and it is discontinued. I agree that the small incremental changes are based on best use case and feedback.

I have always thought of Honda as an engineering driven company from a DNA standpoint. They are a proud company that marches to the beat of their own drummer.

I suggest that if the Type S NSX were the original car, not much would have changed in terms of Sales as well as acceptance. Kind of makes me laugh.

Agree 100% and I share your view.

He seemed to be very proud of the fact that he had some knowledge of the GM Honda alliance and then worked backward...

The GM/Honda partnership is going to bear some impressive fruit for EV and Hybrid. I just got my hybrid F-150 and it's amazing- it's as fast as a Raptor and has a 600-mile range. I've filled up once in the entire month. The future is sure going to be interesting, especially with the Gen3 NSX. I still say it's gonna be a FCEV.

Not getting bent out of shape from this article.

I am looking forward to a performance comparison of a 2017-2021 with the new Pirellis on vs the 22 Type S.

There was an article on the 2022 Porsche Turbo S lightweight. In discussing what the car could do and how it performed, the author mentioned that a lot depends on the track. If the track was heavy on quick turns and short straights the GT3 might prevail vs a track with fewer turns and long straights. The author suggested that which version 911 you were going to get was determined by the track you were going to run. Makes me think about the differences between the 1017-2021 and the 2022 Type S. The hp and torque are up on the Type S, but not significantly. Perhaps here the track is the determinant when it comes to which is the faster car. A 2017 to 2018 with sway bars from the 2019 and the newer tires might be very competitive with the Type S. In the end these are all great cars. We are truly fortunate in owning any year.

tracking any of these NC1 it is all about driver...Tires only matter if the drivers are all of similar skill....I have seen street tires go as fast as R comps and even hoosiers in the right hands compared to intermediate drivers on the track focused rubber.

Back