• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kindle vs. iPad question

I want to purchase an electronic reader. Any thoughts or experience on a Kindle versus an iPad would be appreciated. Which would you buy?

Thanks in advance.

I am a Kindle owner and like mine just fine. I only wish I had waited a little bit longer to purchase mine since the global version came out.

With a Kindle, you do not have to pay for wireless coverage. It's included. I believe with the Ipad, you will have a monthly fee for this.
I don't know enough about the Ipad to say anything bad but here's a review from the local paper
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/silverman/6956033.html

I think the kindle screen technology is probably much easier on the eyes and it works great outside from what i read. I personally have not tried to read a book on either device, but the kindle always amazes me when I see it. I always think it is a dummy unit because it just looks like a paper insert in the screen.

After reading that article sounds like the Kindle is the better choice for just an e-reader. If you stare at a monitor all day long, you might enjoy looking at the kindle for pleasure.

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight guys. Much appreciated.

Doug

I've read several books on the iPad now, and will say that it's glare prone if you're outside in the day or have bright overhead lights. In those situations, the non-backlit Kindle type screen would be superior.

The backlit iPad works great in a living room environment or for reading in bed tough. I haven't had any eyestrain problems at all.

My friend just purchased an iPad and you don't need to purchase the $30 per month 3G unit. His isn't 3G, it is just wireless where ever a signal is available, so with all of the iPads features you'd be better off purchasing the iPad. You can even download the Kindle ap and you can purchase books from the Amazon/Kindle store. In my opinion the iPad has made the Kindle obselete.

I dont think that my Kindle can be beat for what it is.

If you want to read print, the Kindle is very close. If you want to do anything else, forget it.

What I like most is that I turn it on and *ding* there's my NYT. No matter where I am - it arrives. I was on vacation in Turks, hanging out by the pool reading the Times. Free delivery no matter where I am in the World, but that may be because of Canada, so Id check if it is the same for you.

I may buy an iPad, just cuz, but Im sure I will still use the Kindle for books/papers, especially on the fly.

doug,

i just read an article on this very topic this morning in either the nytimes or wsj - and i've already passed today's copies to my neighbor, so can't confirm which for you. the author is a kindle owner who loved their kindle and thought they'd test drive the ipad. the iphone now has a kindle app so kindle users can buy / read books on their ipad. (here's a link to it and reviewer comments: http://itunes.apple.com/app/kindle/id302584613?mt=8)

their summary was the the kindle type of device (limited purpose-built) was "dead". (seems like an overstatement to me, but....)

i handled / used an ipad for a bit last week @ the apple store and thought it was pretty cool, though it was a tad heavier than i hoped it would be. i'm an iphone user and like its interface / operational characteristics for the things i use, so the ipad was automagic.

although we've got a g5 w/4tb of storage and 2 iphones, i'm not a fanboi - in fact, i'm much more comfortable w/xp. having said that, i imagine we'll pick up an ipad as it evolves in the future... and we may just pick one up for my father to keep him busy, too.

i suggest you evaluate them both.

Doug, I would check to make sure any model you look has the ability to change the words to large type. :tongue:

Doug, I would check to make sure any model you look has the ability to change the words to large type. :tongue:

:biggrin::biggrin: LOL :rolleyes:

I can see both sides of the argument for the hardware, but what bothers me is that Apple is trying to drive the price of books up and Amazon is trying to drive the price of books down. A real threat to the Kindle is when and if the publishers pull rights and go with Apple because of the more lucrative terms.

If all you need is to read text-only books and you read mostly outdoors in sunlight then I think the Kindle makes sense.

But, for me the not having a color screen so that I can read all of the magazines, comic books, books, newspapers with color images, maps, etc that will be coming along just doesn't makes sense.

I don't read a lot outside in the daytime either. I find myself reading much more in lower light situations.

And with all of the iPad's other capabilities (i.e. movies, shows, apps, games), for me I just don't see where the Kindle's strengths make it compelling enough to own two handheld devices. And I can always use the Kindle app on the iPad too.

I have a Kindle and I love it. I take it the beach, by the pool and on airplanes when on vacation and I love it. I read alot especially when I am on vacation laying around a pool or beach and never have a problem reading it while outside. I have also downloaded books most everywjere I go and the books are not expensive. My only problem is that sometimes a book I want is out in hardback with Aamzon but not available yet on the Kindle.

If all you need is to read text-only books and you read mostly outdoors in sunlight then I think the Kindle makes sense.

But, for me the not having a color screen so that I can read all of the magazines, comic books, books, newspapers with color images, maps, etc that will be coming along just doesn't makes sense.

I don't read a lot outside in the daytime either. I find myself reading much more in lower light situations.

And with all of the iPad's other capabilities (i.e. movies, shows, apps, games), for me I just don't see where the Kindle's strengths make it compelling enough to own two handheld devices. And I can always use the Kindle app on the iPad too.

Totally agree. Speaking of magazines, I was reading the newest Car and Driver on my friends iPad that he downloaded through Zinio. What really impressed me was that when you were reading a article on the Porsche GT3 for example. You could watch a video on it, that sold me right then and there. I'm not going to renew my conventional print magazines and I'm going to purchase magazines on the iPad with all the new features that come with reading a digital magazine.

I bought my wife an Kindle last year. She has prolly read 20+ books on it. She absolutely loved it. That was until She crushed it underneath the motorized seat on the NSX. She felt really bad and called Amazon. They gave her a new one for free. I am sure we are paying for it through the book orders but She was just glad to get another one. The kindle has limited use but it does it Very well.

The Ipad is a large Iphone without the phone. It is truely amazing but it is heavier and I question if all the software glitches have been sorted. I would just wait a bit and see. I still find it quite frustrating that my iPhone freezes up during the day and needs a reboot. I thought the wrong reasont to buy an Apple was the lack of software glitches.:rolleyes:

Based on your comments, I purchased a Kindle. Should arrive tomorrow. Again, thanks guys.

Back