• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kinetic Custom Machine Battery Tray and Shorai Lithium Iron Battery Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Les for your kind words!

Will this battery start a sos turbod car?

I haven't tried it on a turbo car, but there are multiple supercharged NSXes that use our battery setup and as far as I know, superchargers should be harder to crank than a turboed car.

Thank you Les for your kind words!

I haven't tried it on a turbo car, but there are multiple supercharged NSXes that use our battery setup and as far as I know, superchargers should be harder to crank than a turboed car.

Yes, this starts mine up with no issues.

For international orders, please contact me directly, as I can get significant discounts if I call FedEx myself.

As a rough estimate, it's about $115 out to Austria, and $75 out to New Zealand!

About how long in average climate(mild winters, warm summers) do you think these batteries would last before needing replacing? ...vs old style batteries?

About how long in average climate(mild winters, warm summers) do you think these batteries would last before needing replacing? ...vs old style batteries?

Unfortunately the technology overall is new enough that there isn't much long term data in terms of replacement intervals. I do know though, that many motorcycle riders have been using the batteries for a few years with no problems. I've talked to an S2000 owner who has had his battery for 3 years and it's still going fine. I've now had the battery in my car for close to a year now with no degradation in cranking ability. Really though, it seems like a big part of its longevity is related to how well you treat it. The major killer of ANY kind of battery, lead acid included, is over discharging the battery, and as long as one is aware that this is a lower capacity battery and treats it as such, I forsee many years of operation.

I have been getting more information on how the batteries are performing in a colder weather situation. It seems that at 30-40 degrees F, the first crank will take slightly longer to crank the car, but it will start fine. That being said, the way the battery chemistry works for these, the battery will crank harder with successive cranks, as opposed to a lead acid battery which gets weaker the more you crank it. I will update the thread as I learn of any new information.

A number of people have asked me if I can feel the difference with the lighter battery in, and I absolutely can. Think of it this way... a gallon of gasoline weighs 6.2 pounds/gallon, so at a 40 pound reduction, it would be equivalent in weight to driving around with a half tank of gas. Can you feel that, vs a full tank of gas? I can, and that's weight that's situated in a very ideal position, near the center of the car. Now imagine if you removed that weight from the front of the car. Both steering response and sharpness are noticeably improved.

I have batteries, trays and chargers in stock at the moment!

International people, please send me your postal code for a quote, I've been able to get some very significant international shipping quotes from FedEx.

Hi Colin,

Well I may have pushed my luck a bit and left my car in ~ 32 degree storage garage.
19 days it sat and I thought - if I wrecked this battery I will be mad at myself.
Pulled the cover back off my car - turned the key and it started right up - a bit slow on the crank speed - but it started.
Pulled the battery and took it home and I think it read in the 12s - and charged it up
- 13.36 now after sitting a week or so on my bench.
Don't know if this is much of a data point - but I know I should be able to leave it that long
during summer time without too much concern.

Al

I must be missing something. Where is the coupon code entered? I'm using the guest login, fwiw.

I must be missing something. Where is the coupon code entered? I'm using the guest login, fwiw.

You know what, I had recently changed to a Paypal payment processor and was actually semi unsatisfied with the user experience so I just changed it back. You should be able to see the discount code area after you fill in your address. Sorry about the confusion, thanks for pointing that out!

Colin

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Colin,

Well I may have pushed my luck a bit and left my car in ~ 32 degree storage garage.
19 days it sat and I thought - if I wrecked this battery I will be mad at myself.
Pulled the cover back off my car - turned the key and it started right up - a bit slow on the crank speed - but it started.
Pulled the battery and took it home and I think it read in the 12s - and charged it up
- 13.36 now after sitting a week or so on my bench.
Don't know if this is much of a data point - but I know I should be able to leave it that long
during summer time without too much concern.

Al

This is great information, thanks for sharing, Al!

Nevermind, I didn't go far enough; with paypal, you must continue all the way thru to order confirmation, at which point the code may be entered. I had assumed it would be entered on the shopping cart screen. Order placed, thx.

Nevermind, I didn't go far enough; with paypal, you must continue all the way thru to order confirmation, at which point the code may be entered. I had assumed it would be entered on the shopping cart screen. Order placed, thx.

Awesome, glad it got sorted out.

Dropping your battery off right now. Thanks!

Thanks for the orders everyone!

I find it incredible and humbling that people around the world are using our product.

Thanks for the orders everyone!

I find it incredible and humbling that people around the world are using our product.

That's because it's a great product and even better customer service.

Last edited:
Just got around to installing tonight, took a bit but not a huge deal, battery cranks hard, started my 3.5L twin turbo easily in my ~ 65F garage.

Just for comparison sake, since this is the cat's meow. Colin's offer is a great deal in terms of pricing, design, install, reliability, performance..etc. . Jump on it Primer!! If you are lighter, you are faster....everywhere! and this is no rice.

FWIF, Koenigsegg uses LiFe battery.

www.pegasusautoracing.com

Ballistic LiFePo4 AutoRace Batteries

These 12-volt batteries have been developed specifically for auto racing. The lithium ferrophosphate technology has many advantages. They can deliver a burst of 1000 cranking amps at 70°F. They hold their charge when not in use (only 10% self-discharge per year). They are very light in weight. They are completely dry, can never leak and are inherently safer than the type of lithium batteries used in consumer electronics. These batteries have approximately the same footprint as a standard Group 42 battery (9.25 x 6.9 inch), so they are easy to mount in most vehicles.
Standard: $449 (6.9 lb)With 1,000 amp Internal Battery Management System: $849 (8.4 lb)Both include Free Shipping to 48 states.

Last edited:
I have been working with a customer whose battery is failing due to it being on a battery tender for an extended period of time, and have found a couple bits of information that must be addressed. I will be PMing the group buy participants, but also adding it to this thread.

Since we are using these batteries on a car, the manufacturer's warranty is void. That being said, if you are experiencing problems with your battery, please contact me personally and I will work with you to get your issue resolved.

I can always be contacted at: [email protected]

Shorai now does not recommend using a non-Shorai trickle charger to tend your Shorai battery. It can be used to charge the battery, but it should not sit on the tender for an extended period of time, as it will eventually cause issues.

I will offer any customer the Shorai charger for our cost ($54.37) + shipping. This charger is best suited for the Shorai battery because it will balance the cells within the battery to ensure optimal life.

Moving forward, I will now probably only sell packages that include the charger.

I still stand behind the battery, as I have them in 2 of my cars, including the NSX which has had one for almost a year now with no problems.

Last edited:
I have been disconnecting my Battery Tender Jr every once in a while. Leave it on a week, disconnect a few days and then back on. And now this warning. :eek:

So the question for those of us that don't daily drive our NSXs, can the Shorai charger be left on for most of the winter, or does this battery constantly need "attention"? In other words, is this a issue specifically with the Battery Tender charger or with the nature of the battery itself?

Last edited:
You should be fine, from what I remember, this customer had previously overdischarged their battery, so I think it's a combination of over discharge and then using the Battery Tender to charge it again.

This is a very isolated case.

I think the correct course of action after over discharging the battery is to put it on a Shorai charger. I've overdischarged my battery before and it's been working fine after letting it sit on the Shorai charger.

Yes, the Shorai charger can be left on the battery during wintertime as it has a store mode.

I think what is happening when the Battery Tender brand tender is constantly on the battery is that it is always forcing charge into the battery. These batteries overall have a very slow rate of discharge, so I can see it being detrimental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back