• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Korean made HID kits

insx,

Yes, I had to drill the cap for the wires to go through. The kit included a rubber grommet to cover the hole. The only pic I took was the one above. You can see the blue grommet and wiring. However, I did not take a kit of the mounting. I mounted them as stated in a previous post in this thread, on the Y bracket behind the highbeam.

I'm in on the GB for the Korean brand kit whenever it comes in. Sign me up!! :D
Regards
Z

Just spoke with Albert, he just placed an order with the manuf. and should have the Korean kits in 4-5 weeks. The group buy price will be $320+shipping. If you don't want to wait or want the hella ballast those are avaliable now for $365+shipping.

So far we have:
NSX FoYoAss (2)
Bilulan

If Norm could get it for $300 shipped in a single order, why is the group by $320 + shipping? Isn't it the exact same thing? Seems to me like it should be less than $300 for a group buy.

NetViper said:
If Norm could get it for $300 shipped in a single order, why is the group by $320 + shipping? Isn't it the exact same thing? Seems to me like it should be less than $300 for a group buy.

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one thinking that. :rolleyes:
What's up with cartoka's math on that one Norm?

I tried to get the same price, but he claims he sold it to me "at cost"

The price listed on the web page is $370, however they sell them for less on ebay's "buy it now" So i decided to contact him and see if I could get if for less. I contact a number of sellers and had them match/beat each other's prices and $300 from cartoka was the best.

I sent him an email to ask again if he can honor the same price I got mine for with the rest of you guys.

edit-
Just heard back from Albert, he will do $310 + shipping. Basically the deal I got, I paid $300+shipping.

Last edited:
So what is the difference between this kit and the kit SOS sells for 2x as much?

Albert from cartoka replied back to my group buy email. I asked him to clarify a bulk purchase price greater than the initial single price. He states that his cost is $290 on the korean kit. He will sell to us for $310+ship and he states he gave Norm the $300 deal because Norm said if product was good he would spread the word and potentially get cartoka more business. That makes sense. Personally, I think their cost is less than $290, however, $310+ seems like the most reasonable price I've seen.

Chris from SOS is selling for like $570+
I'm curious what the differences would be in these vs. SOS's (for example) Maybe he'll chime in and speak about it.

Regardless, the pics of Norm's ride is what I'm looking for.

Who wants to start signing up for this?

-------------------
geez, you guys are fast typers/mind readers on this one.
sorry for the repetitive information/question

From the research I have done, the SOS has McCulloch components. It also comes with new end caps already drilled for the wires and custom made brackets to mount the ballast. Avaliable in 7000K and 4200K kits.

This kit comes with Korean made components and I had to drill the end caps. I used the biggest drill bit I had then rounded it out to the correct size with a dremmel tool. This was very easy to do. I also mounted it using the included double sided vibration pad and then zip tied it on. The kit did come with brackets, however I did not want to drill any holes into the headlight assembly. Same price for 8000K or 6000K.

Both are plug and play kits, which have two main wires, one that plugs into the stock headlight wire harness and goes to the ballast. Then one from the ballast to the HID bulb.

HID systems made in Korea and Taiwan are known to have a lot of quality issues as well as problems arising due to the generic capsules used in these kits. With generic capsules there is an uncertainty of lamp/ballast lifespan and the potential problem of focal shift. With the use of inexpensive manufacturing processes, the focal point of the lamp may actually shift over time producing unfocused light or excessive glare:
6.jpg

With a high quality kit which uses OEM automotive grade components, and that has been manufactured in ISO9001 certified facilities such as the CATZ HID xenon systems, focal point shift, premature lamp/ballast failure will not be an issue:
7.jpg

Here is a comparison write up we did:
http://24.157.217.30/catz_difference_files/catzdifference.htm

From our own experience in testing, research, and what you read on the internet, HID systems made in Taiwan and Korea tend to have issues when it comes to the *quality* of the components used in the kit. There is a reason why these HID kits sell well below some of the higher quality HID systems made in Japan, and USA.

The hella/LVQ ballast is used in most European OEM automotive hid applications. It is considered one of the best. However, because of its one piece design it is prone to premature failure moreso than a two peice design. Those who are in the industry that have dealt with these ballasts can attest to that as well. A two piece design consisting of an independant ignitor, separate from the control/inverter unit, is more reliable because the external ignitor's sole purpose is to ignite and initiate the arc. Once the acr is established, the ignitor will shut off and the control/inverter unit will take over to regulate the energy. In a one peice design, like the hella/LVQ ballast, you have one component responsible performing both duties which leads to greater stress on the internal components.

because of its one piece design it is prone to premature failure moreso than a two peice design

I have never heard of this before. Is this just a generalization or have there been real reliabilty studies. I thought the 2 piece was the older design and the newer generation HID kits have one piece.

Either way the one piece was easier to install and deal with the wires. I love the look and love my lights and at $300 bucks, if they were to fail i could buy another kit and still be spending the same amount of money as a single set of the other kits out there.

Wouldn't the 8000k give off more of a blue look? From the ones I've seen, they look like a piercing blue, but too similar to HID wanna be bulbs. But hey, those are only from pictures that I've seen, no flames from the peeps with 8000k kits please. :D

TopDayTrader, what kits do you sell?
Thanks
Z

Topdaytrader doesn't have the best reputation around here... all we know is he doesnt really care for NSX's. He may be perfectly fine to deal with for an HID kit. I would be cautious. This is just my personal opinion. I have no vested interest in any of the kits being sold.

NormRD said:
I have never heard of this before. Is this just a generalization or have there been real reliabilty studies. I thought the 2 piece was the older design and the newer generation HID kits have one piece.

Either way the one piece was easier to install and deal with the wires. I love the look and love my lights and at $300 bucks, if they were to fail i could buy another kit and still be spending the same amount of money as a single set of the other kits out there.

Two peice designs are just about the same as far as installation goes. The ignitor is really small so it wouldn't take up alot of space. Philips introduced the xentron HID system after having their LVQ-212 ballasts on the market for a while. The xentron is somewhat of a 2 piece design that has an external ignitor integrated into the base of the HID lamp socket. The 2 peice design is certainly not old technology. I'll try and take some pics of the sample we got when I get some time.

NormRD said:
Thanks for the compliments...i got them at cartoka.com. Send an email to: [email protected]

tell him that Norm with the NSX sent you and you wanted a similar deal. I think the regular price is $370.

I just emailed the guy.. He's quoting me $400.. whats up with that???

He only has the kits with the Hella Ballast in stock. I believe he was willing to sell those as a group by for $350-375. The $310 was for the korean made ballast (same kit) but those won't be in stock for 4 weeks or so.

Back