• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Korean made HID kits

Yes.. he just replied to me.. said the Hella kit was about 60 more, and I need an H1 bulb which he said is $20 more. He will do 380 so I'm going to get it from him.

why H1? its for my Audi. I already have HID's in my NSX.

NormRD said:
Here is a pic of mine:

fbf63db9.jpg

Count me in if you can get this kit GB for around low $ 300, i dont mind waiting for 4 weeks..

i hope this kit is water proof...

i want 6000k bulb

what is the difference btw Hella & Korean made ballast? Does it make any difference in color or brightness?

thanks

-jjc.

NetViper said:
mike.. what kind of HID's did you get for your NSX?

I got mine from autolampsonline. It was before SOS started carrying them. I love them in the NSX, but the NSX had good lights to start with.

I think my color temp is 4700K. I'm into more light, not cool color.

mikec said:
I love them in the NSX, but the NSX had good lights to start with.

Have they improved the lights in the NSX over the years? I dont think my 93 lights are all that great at all.

I really like the OEM HID from Audi/BMW/Honda S2000.. They look SWEETT.. Not only they are bright, the light color are White/blue/purple/amber depends on which angle you are looking from..

I've never seen an aftermarket HID that can come close to that. Even from projector headlights. I thought after all these years, aftermarket HID would've caught up OEM HID by now.. But, evidently, they are still either white or blue or purple only.. kinda cheezy blue or purple color too..

Can someone please educate me on this please? Thanks

-jjc.

I think the halogen lights are the same from 91-01.

Yes.. the HID's make a great difference. I'm not sure if all kits are the same, but I like mine.

My 01 Acura CL has factory HID's. They are a bit more blue than the NSX, but as far as light output, they are about equal. The NSX projector lens system works well with them and had a sharp cutoff point just like the CL does. I would not rate one better than the other.

8000k looks great, but i am not sure if it would light up the dark properly..

6000k on the othe hand dont seem as blue in the pix..

this is annoying... anyone help me here?

-jjc.

The kit topdaytrader is selling appears to be the same as the one I got. The components/kit/box look exactly like what I got. However, I can not vouch for doing business with topdaytrader as I can for Albert at Cartoka where I got mine.

JJCNSX- The 8000K lights will appear much more blue vs the 6000K which are more white w/purple. From what i have read the lumens (light output) of the 8000K are usually lower then the 6000K bulbs. Most OEM applicatons are 4300-6000K. Do a search in the forums and there are comparisions. Hope this helps.

Thank you for everyone's replies :)

more than likely i will stick with 6000k.

Can someone educate me on what exactly is ballast? and what is the difference between korean made ballast and hella, phillips, etc.

Does it make the blub brighter, different color? or what? also, in a HID kit, which component are the ones that go bad first? ballast?

thanks in advance.

-jjc.

The ballast is what powers the HID headlights. Your car provides a 12V power supply the Ballast increases that to the 20,000+ needed to power HID bulbs.

Funtionally they are all the same, the difference between the brands is in quality. That is not known exactly just like when you buy other electronics.

Ballast are designed to basically last the life of the car, while bulbs last 2000-3000 hours. Only time will tell how long each brand's parts last.

You can plug a 8000K bulb or a 6000K bulb in to the same ballast. The bulb makes the difference in color. The ballast just ignites the bulb and powers the bulb.

NormRD,

thank you for detailed explaination.!

I have phillips bulbs and ballast in my Supra (4300k bulbs) it is bright which i really like.

One of the thing that i dont really like about it is that when you turn on the headlight (HID), it almost lights up instantly, i am not if that is good for bulbs. I remember OEM BMW HID lights up noticeably slower... i am no engineer, but my common sense tells me that is better for bulbs.. and maybe ballast too.

which aftermarket HID kit would light up slowly?

thanks

-jjc.

JJCNSX said:
NormRD,

I have phillips bulbs and ballast in my Supra (4300k bulbs) it is bright which i really like.

One of the thing that i dont really like about it is that when you turn on the headlight (HID), it almost lights up instantly, i am not if that is good for bulbs. I remember OEM BMW HID lights up noticeably slower... i am no engineer, but my common sense tells me that is better for bulbs.. and maybe ballast too.

thanks

-jjc.

i'm definitely not an expert on this, but my guess is that the length of time it takes for the bulbs to reach max brightness has to do with how quickly the gas in the bulbs heat up to normal operating temperature. Maybe the BMW bulbs just take longer to heat up, in which case the other bulbs probably aren't being harmed by reaching max brightness quicker and thus heating up quicker since they were made to do that. HID light is produced from an arc of electricity (like lightning) created between 2 electrodes. There isn't a filament like conventional bulbs. It's impossible to "slowly" create this arc. The igniter charges to 20,000+ volts and then suddenly releases the energy to produce the arc. So it's pretty much instantly created. This is why when u first turn on your HIDs often times u'll see a very quick flash of light and then the lights will dim and after a couple seconds they reach full brightness. The flash is the arc being created. Once it's created the regular ~12v that the ballast provides keeps the arc alive. Different HID bulbs contain different gaseous mixes. This is what creates the different colors that they are available in. Back to the question on hand, I think some gas mixtures just heat up to operating temp quicker than others. Again, my non-expert, college chemistry/physics + computer engineer opinion. Hehe

I'm looking to buy a 4300-5300K HID kit for my 97 Audi A6 which uses H1 lamps. the best kit I've seen so far is one sold by www.misterjung.com, but he is temporarily out of business. What makes his kit attractive is that in the Audi, I have to drill a 1" hole in the headlight housing rear cover and his kit includes a rubber grommet to seal the hole. Also 4 wires pass through the grommet; two out from the origional bulb connector, and two in to the new HID bulb. Does anyone know of a similar kit?

Thanks

mikec,

The kit i bought had the 1" rubber grommet, with all the wires already passed through them. If you look at one of the first pictures with the headlight cover off you can see the blue grommet.

Higher quality HID ballasts feature electronic microprocessors that ramp up voltage to the the bulbs extending life. These processors also provide various circuit protection. Here's a little write-up on our kit:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19206

JJCNSX said:
NormRD,

thanks

-jjc.

NormRD said:
Here is a pic of mine:

fbf63db9.jpg
It looks like the aim of your lights needs to be adjusted. The cutoff for the driver's side headlight should be slightly lower than that of the passenger side, to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. In the photo, yours is higher.

Back