• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KSP muffler is not centered

On my 1997, the KSP muffler (with OEM cats, adapters provided by KSP, and CT Engineering headers) isn't centered and it looks like the only way to get it centered is to have a muffler shop shorten the outlets of the headers. That, or just pair it up with KSP headers :)

I understand that mixing and matching different components in the exhaust system can lead to fitment issues like this. Does anyone happen to have KSP headers, OEM cats, and a KSP muffler to confirm that things indeed do line up?

I started with KSP headers, upgraded the exhaust to KSP latter and it worked with my OEM cats. But my car is 1993 not 1997. since your car is 1997 (NA2), the cats are different shape and should not work...

You can see it here post #92:

https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/bbvnsx-93-edm-nsx-from-portugal.170650/page-4#post-1932787

If your OEM cats are not the same configuration as mine (look at the pictures in my build) you will need 1991-1994 cats for the exhaust to work with KSP headers.

Latter I ended installing SARD cats (1991-1994 size) and they also work (needed a small trim on the heat shield)

On my 1997, the KSP muffler (with OEM cats, adapters provided by KSP, and CT Engineering headers) isn't centered and it looks like the only way to get it centered is to have a muffler shop shorten the outlets of the headers. That, or just pair it up with KSP headers :)

I understand that mixing and matching different components in the exhaust system can lead to fitment issues like this. Does anyone happen to have KSP headers, OEM cats, and a KSP muffler to confirm that things indeed do line up?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The muffler came with adapters for the newer cars and we also flipped one of the cats around. So everything bolts up! The muffler itself is just off-centered so there's something that's causing the misalignment. I'm assuming it's the CT Engineering headers instead of the fact that my car is newer since we have the adapters and the 180º-flipped cat.

It may be the case that KSP built the muffler for fitment with OEM headers as well as their own headers. Maybe I should just throw on the OEM headers and call it good :p

I started with KSP headers, upgraded the exhaust to KSP latter and it worked with my OEM cats. But my car is 1993 not 1997. since your car is 1997 (NA2), the cats are different shape and should not work...

You can see it here post #92:

https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/bbvnsx-93-edm-nsx-from-portugal.170650/page-4#post-1932787

If your OEM cats are not the same configuration as mine (look at the pictures in my build) you will need 1991-1994 cats for the exhaust to work with KSP headers.

Latter I ended installing SARD cats (1991-1994 size) and they also work (needed a small trim on the heat shield)

But are your CT headers 97+ compatible? Did they work with OEM 97+ cats and muffler?

Thanks for the info. The muffler came with adapters for the newer cars and we also flipped one of the cats around. So everything bolts up! The muffler itself is just off-centered so there's something that's causing the misalignment. I'm assuming it's the CT Engineering headers instead of the fact that my car is newer since we have the adapters and the 180º-flipped cat.

It may be the case that KSP built the muffler for fitment with OEM headers as well as their own headers. Maybe I should just throw on the OEM headers and call it good :p

Good question, it's a long story but the car's been apart for years and the CT headers were never completely hooked up to the stock muffler but the cats were on fine. Today, the CT headers -> OEM cats (with one flipped 180º) -> KSP adapters -> KSP muffler is all hooked up... off-centered lol.

But are your CT headers 97+ compatible? Did they work with OEM 97+ cats and muffler?

You have pictures of it?

Good question, it's a long story but the car's been apart for years and the CT headers were never completely hooked up to the stock muffler but the cats were on fine. Today, the CT headers -> OEM cats (with one flipped 180º) -> KSP adapters -> KSP muffler is all hooked up... off-centered lol.

My na1 tubi style muffler is not centered on my na2 with Dali adapters, stock cats and headers. It’s annoying but I don’t see how to fix it.

Most of the 91-94 KSP exhaust systems that I have experience with come with cat delete pipes and they bolt directly to 91-94 headers. If your headers are the CT intended for 97-99, therein lies your issue.

I love how the KSP exhaust sounds, but was always confused about it's compatibility on later model cars. Will be interested to hear how you end up solving this.

GIF by PBS

Hello Francis,

Can you describe what is not centered? Is it from birds eye view or staring at the exhaust directly straight on? Perhaps I can share my experiences when we built our exhaust.

This is because of the exhaust flanges not angled properly. Are you using OEM headers or aftermarket? A slight degree makes the difference. I wish I still had photos of the flanges of when we made our exhaust but unfortunately that was a long time ago.

When we designed our exhaust, we made sure to not have this issue. From my experience, all Japan NSX exhausts that were made as a full system with their own headers have this issue. Even the expensive "all mighty" Saclam have this issue. But even from other experience, with a full setup with headers, you'll still have this issue. We molded our jig to match the OEM flange. I believe aftermarket ones have a 5-15 degree tilt and rotated in a way (which makes the exhaust lower on one side).

The only real solution is to cut off the flange, reangle it to make sure it sits perfectly, then reweld it back.

I haven't been in the NSX community for along time, but almost every exhaust i've seen has been off center, usually too far to the right like yours. I've seen exhausts with stock cats and test pipes, stock headers and aftermarket headers. I personally have DC headers on stock cats and have this issue with multiple exhausts including Taitec, RFY and Advance. I took safety wire and tied it to my left side exhaust hanger and chassis and pulled the exhaust to the left. I did that maybe a few thousand miles ago and so far so good.

Taitec headers 91-94
KSP exhaust 91-94

No issues

Often times the cock-eyed position is due to the pipe running perpenticular is too short, or using incorrect header length at the rear bank for the exhaust that’s being bolted up to it. For example, 97-99 have equal length cats. 00-05 has a longer cat running perpendicular AND due to LEV the cats are also angled ever so slightly. I dont have a visual on hand, but when I find the diagram i’ll post it later.

Attachments

• IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3301.png
    IMG_3301.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3302.jpeg
    IMG_3302.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3012.jpeg
    IMG_3012.jpeg