• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KW Clubsport VS Comptech Pro - Which one is better for track?

Hey guys,
I am having a hard time deciding between KW clubsport and Comptech pro suspension kit and would like some insight from you guys on which one will be better suited/faster on track.
Both kits cost around 3k and both are double adjustable, I think koni 3012 on comptech are monotube design and kws are twintube design.
Which one would you choose?

I am also considering JRZ RS pro, are those much better than the one mentioned above to justify extra 2k in cost?

Thanks a lot guys!!

What spring rates for each?

I haven't driven an NSX with the KWv3 but I'm happy enough with the CT Pros that I don't feel the need to switch. A few moons ago, I discussed this question with a friend and he swore the KWs were just as good in mechanical grip as the CT Pros if not better. I'm sure he's right but I just don't feel they are better enough for the switch.

If I were choosing now, it'd be a difficult choice indeed.

Thanks ponyboy!

I felt the same way, performance wise they should be pretty close and it will all come down to the driver. Comptech used better dampers compare to KW imo, and can also have better adjustment quality even though they are hard to adjust. I figured once the set up is done on the comptech, you probably shouldn't have to touch them again unless it rains on that day at the track.

IMHO, the biggest disadvantage of the CT Pros are the difficulty in adjusting to fit the track. Which is really quite a pain. I found myself adjusting everything else (tire pressure, sways, camber, caster, etc) so that I didn't have to change compression or rebound. That alone may be worth it.

If the 3012s had that capability then they'd be really close to perfect. IIRC, another prime member switched to the koni 3011 series with good success.

yep. if those konis were easier to adjust even if we had to jack up car to adjust, it's really a easy choice. adjusting those shocks alone will wear out the driver at the track I think.

I think 3011s are steel body single adjustable shocks. I have seem people runn 2812 shocks with both adjustment under the top plates, but those dampers are dipping into JRZ price range.
I feel like logically choice would be KWs, or step up and get JRZ RS or even RS pro.

I have the CS on my NSX -which I just did a 1:58.9 at Buttonwillow on NT05 street tires.

For track use, I am going to up the front spring rate to a 550 to match the NSX-R rates as well as go with a much stiffer front bar. The stock KW rates with the stock tiny front bar makes for a ton of front grip and body roll and a bit oversteery car. Would be much better and faster with a Type R or any larger front swaybar -which most people would do anyway for a track oriented car.

Out of the box, the higher CT rates would be more ideal for track use but also harsher on the street. The joy of coilovers are that you can change the rates to whatever you want.

The CT's Koni 3012 damper has been around forever and KW uses their twin-tube damper design on all of their V3s with much sucess. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Billy!
I do have a set of dali trophy 1" bars. would you recommend running only the front with those coilovers or should I run both front and back.

with the KW's you can bump the spring rates up too 10kg without having to re-valve im currently running 10/8kg on stock valved KW's. i had the stock kw rates springs on the car for 2 seasons and this set up feels like an improvement after i stiffened up the bars and gained over -3 camber. Im still fiddling around but my point here is that there is a pretty large spectrum that you can try as far as tuning with just spring rates. For me to swap rates on all 4 coil overs takes about 45min from car on the ground with wheels on to back on the ground ready to go.

I defer to Billy since he has alot of kw experience..i have none.I have tracked and streeted a car with ct pro.......as long as damper settings are not at full stiff the ride is better than my Type R...imo the kw are a trackable street setup..the ct is a streetable track setup.hth.

Thanks for the info Billy!
I do have a set of dali trophy 1" bars. would you recommend running only the front with those coilovers or should I run both front and back.
I ran the time with the stock front bar, and Zanardi rear. I'm going to bump up the front rates to 550lb-in and go with the 1" Dali while leaving the Zanardi rear on. I have a Dali 0.8" rear bar just in case but i'm most likely going to keep the Zanardi on.

with the KW's you can bump the spring rates up too 10kg without having to re-valve im currently running 10/8kg on stock valved KW's.
That's what i'm going with. The NSX-R spring package.

I run the Clubsports, 757/527 springs. Dali 1" trophy bar up front, Zarnardi bar in the rear.
Gives the car a much more neutral/balanced feel.
Like them a lot for street and track use. Easy to adjust compression/rebound as well.

Never tried the CT's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys! My head is starting to spin again haha

Will - do you know if the valving is the same with v3 and CS? if i have to get different springs anyways, may as well go with the cheaper set up. I am not sure if the camber plates are necessary.

Doc - what spring rates do you have the the CT pros? my friend has the same set up with standard 1000 front and 600 rear, he said the ride on the street is acceptable and he travels with us to the track. (4+ hours driving)

Billy - what's the downside if the rear bar is almost as stiff as the front? rear end will become lose? I haven't tracked the nsx yet, really have no idea what is going to be like, does it like to be throttle steered like the 911s?

- - - Updated - - -

I run the Clubsports, 757/527 springs. Dali 1" trophy bar up front, Zarnardi bar in the rear.
Gives the car a much more neutral/balanced feel.
Like them a lot for street and track use. Easy to adjust compression/rebound as well.

Never tried the CT's.

Thanks for the feedback Coz.
i will look into the zarnardi rear bar. seems like theres a pretty good reason to run big front and smaller rear bar.

Billy - what's the downside if the rear bar is almost as stiff as the front? rear end will become lose? I haven't tracked the nsx yet, really have no idea what is going to be like, does it like to be throttle steered like the 911s?
Thanks for the feedback Coz.
For a car thats driven on the street often. Go with KW V3. I still use the stock NSX rubber-mounted top hats on my KWs.

Too big of a rear bar would hurt rear grip and make the car loose on entry-mid-exit. It does not exactly throttle-steer like an old 911, but in general, a car will be more make more grip with a softer setup. The FXMD NSX with 335 slicks on the rear does not have a very big rear bar...

I have the KW V3's and started with the standard 357/357 setup after reading Billy's posts about them and I used his recommendations for the settings, the sways are Dali Q bars up front and street/track rears so lighter in the rear by a lot the car was/is very neutral and fantastic on the road I have since gone up 2 sizes in springs on the front to a 657/357 setup while harsher on the road not enough to make me go back or down one size to a 457 spring.
The car is still neutral everywhere but firmer in the corners at the track, I just love the way the car handles it has no surprises anywhere, I would like more neg camber up front as it is at -1.5 but can live with that for now.
So KW for the street with occasional track work keep the 357/357 springs or more track work go up a size in the front (457) if you find your doing a lot of track work go for the 657 front spring.

Thanks again guys! Billy and scammy!
looks like v3s with customs springs are best for the buck, plus billy already got the settings worked out for us :biggrin:
anyone need a dali trophy rear bar with aluminum bushings?

For a car thats driven on the street often. Go with KW V3. I still use the stock NSX rubber-mounted top hats on my KWs.

Hi Billy, I had some urethane bushings developed as an upgrade to the NSX rubber bushings. They have all the benefits of the OEM rubber bushings but are roughly 50% stiffer and they won't harden over time like rubber. I had a short production run of them made.
If you would like to try them, I'd be happy to send you a complementary set.

Hi Billy, I had some urethane bushings developed as an upgrade to the NSX rubber bushings. They have all the benefits of the OEM rubber bushings but are roughly 50% stiffer and they won't harden over time like rubber. I had a short production run of them made.
If you would like to try them, I'd be happy to send you a complementary set.
Which bushings did you have made?

Billy,
do you think 570lb-in front springs will work well with 450lb rear in combination with Dali 1" front trophy bar and zanardi rear?

Which bushings did you have made?

Replacement bushings for the OEM Top Mount. See picture below. We also developed our own aluminum Top Mount for the NSX which is compatible with KW and other coilovers. It also utilizes custom urethane bushings. The top mount itself weighs 33 grams, approximately 50% of the weight of an OEM steel top mount.

Daniel Lee
Stealth Innovative Systems, LLC
http://iLiftSystems.com
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Urethane-bhusing-upgrade-NSX-Top-Mount.jpg
    Urethane-bhusing-upgrade-NSX-Top-Mount.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 531
  • NSX-Top-hats.jpg
    NSX-Top-hats.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 519
Very cool and great idea/product. OEM top hats really needed this and it closes the gap in performance for the KWs from monoball top hat coilovers. For street cars, this is probably a better option than monoballs.

We are glad you like them. That was the goal in creating them, improve performance while still providing a compliant ride with extended durability and long life.

Let us know if you would like a complimentary set of upgraded urethane bushings for the OEM top mounts. We would be happy to mail them to you.

Daniel Lee
Stealth Innovative Systems, LLC
http://iLiftSystems.com

i have tried both suspension, i prefer kw3 with custom spring, i used 16kg F 16kf R with nsx-r front sway bar.
I run 1:53.2 at ridge motorsport park which is 2 second slower than gt3rs with slick.

i have tried both suspension, i prefer kw3 with custom spring, i used 16kg F 16kf R with nsx-r front sway bar.
I run 1:53.2 at ridge motorsport park which is 2 second slower than gt3rs with slick.

Did you revalve the KWV3's for the stiffer springs?
I'm going to be switching out my KW springs for some stiffer Swifts. I tested some 12k springs in the front today an was pleasantly surprised that they did not seem twice as stiff as the originals KW springs that they replaced.
KW told me that they recommend that spring rate increases be limited to 50% over their stock springs. That would set their limit at 9k.

I think I'd like to try 10k in the front and 8k in the rear.
My objectives are: 1) to be able to run the car's suspension a little lower, 2) to improve the steering response, and 3) to maintain the street ability of the car even on rough roads.

Steven Lee

Last edited:
Back