• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KW Suspension Variant 3 for 91-05 NSX

Re: KW Suspension Variant 3 for 91-05 NSX!

Do you know anyone that has compared it against type-r on the track by any chance? Also, stuntman mentioned the reason for the 'bounce' effect I felt on the TEINs and JICs. Does the KW suffer from that as well?

I personally don't know of anyone comparing the type-r suspension to any other suspension other than before and after comparisons on the street. I can tell you the type-r suspension ride quality is no way near as forgiving as the stock suspension.

The KW suspension doesn't suffer the bounce thanks to the helper springs the KW has and the lower 350 lb/in from and rear springs giving it a nice compliant ride. The stock oem upper mount also helps take out some of the vibration.

Knowing what spring rates and track application would help but the KW is probably a far superior shock but that may not translate to very much since it's a decreasing returns to scale issue as you increase the shock level. Driver upgrades are usually the most significant once you have a working suspension.

I have a question... no one ever mentions the sway bars. But that is an integral part to the suspension system, isn't it? When you design spring and damper rates, shouldn't you consider what sway bars are on the car at all? it doesn't make any difference? I would think that in a corner when a larger sway bar, you are transfering less weight to a load bearing side... and so that would affect the spring rate you would need/want. No? What was the KW designed to work with?

There isn't one perfect setup. That's what tuning is all about. You buy a good damper/shock and tune from there with spring rates, shock settings,... One track may be better suited with one setup over another. The shock is central to your setup so you want to start with as good as you can afford. You can't go wrong with the high-end stuff.

There are lots of theories out there about how to setup a car.

Edit: I'm no expert so please take my comments with that in mind.

Well I am no expert either... and I definitely don't have enough knowledge to know how to "tune" my suspension. I would think this is fairly complicated work, and that is why a factory has so many engineers working on it. I mean I read in car magazines about how they hated the suspension in the Z06 and one damper change a year later, it was wonderful.

I'm trying to learn to drive better on the track. Last thing I want to do is introduce another variable into the mix. If the car doesn't corner correctly, I prefer it be because of my driving now than the car. I mean trying to learn with an ever changing car is an impossible task.

So getting back to the topic at hand, I would expect that the experts at KW would know how to setup the car well for me. I mean that little video they have with the NSX sitting on it with its wheels bouncing up and down... what does that mean really? I would hope all suspension systems are tested on the actual car, but apparently not?

So I am wondering how the sway bars come into the equation, and if they are the experts, what they want to see with this suspension.

There isn't one perfect setup. That's what tuning is all about. You buy a good damper/shock and tune from there with spring rates, shock settings,... One track may be better suited with one setup over another. The shock is central to your setup so you want to start with as good as you can afford. You can't go wrong with the high-end stuff.

There are lots of theories out there about how to setup a car.

Edit: I'm no expert so please take my comments with that in mind.

+1 I agree with you.

I have used Tein RA, and now i have Koni race shocks.

like i mentioned before, you really don't know what's better until you tried the "better shocks".

but for street harshness, TeinRA is as stiff as the nsx R. the later mysteriously getting softer/more control with R compounds at the track.

Tein Mono flex seems to be a little better than the R, especially its adjustable..

don't know how much it helps... just another piece of info there.

So I am wondering how the sway bars come into the equation, and if they are the experts, what they want to see with this suspension.

I wrote a huge response and decided maybe it was too much random info and might lead down that treacherous road of bench racing. :p :p :p

Swaybars work with springs. You'll have to search and ask on these forums to see what others are running and their impressions. The closer to your intended future setup, the better.

The default setup of 343 front and rear looks to be more of a street bias. Please note that any spring rate combination can be ordered with these shocks and they will handle them quite well. Talk with the vendors directly with the application you have in mind and they will guide you in the right direction.

cant wait till I can get mine! :biggrin:

Does anyone have any comparison or experience with these KW coilovers and the K-Sport (Kontrol Pro Damper System)?

http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/coilovers_detail.asp?product_id=cd01

I personally would like to see some shock dyno results of the KW's.

Since the question was brought up... I've had the KSport dual-adjustable design for over a year now on my lightened (2700 lb) daily-driven NSX without any complaints. It's the 560lb/in up front and the 450lb/in in the rear: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119883

If you decide on KSPorts, on your vehicle with low-profile tires, I would request 350 lb/in spring rates comparable to the KW's for a nice soft ride (KSport will custom valve their shocks for your desired spring rates).

For a vehicle that's not going to be tracked, but you want the flexibility of adjusting ride height, why spend $2k+ on KW's? Sure, their valving may be unique to others (let's see some dyno plots to prove this), but KSports with similar spring rates will have a comparable ride (and be a lot cheaper). We don't live in the rust belt, so KW's stainless steel does nothing for me....

Oh, and KSports are getting quite a track record (look at the KSport blog), have the latest facilities, shock dynos, engineers, and offer rebuild services for a lot of other-manufacturer coilovers.

Dave

Back