• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KW V3 coilovers installed...

Just wanted to say thanks to ChopsJazz for his hard work yesterday in removing my OEM shocks and springs, especially separating the top hats, and installing the KW V3 coilovers. Also thanks to Vytas for assisting. Ran into a couple of snafus during the process, but Ken was a trooper and finished the job himself. Very much appreciated. Enjoy your Boddingtons, Ken!

-CiaoBoy

welcome to the club. now the fun "tuning" part begins.

What snafus did you run into?

I recieved my KW V3s after NSXPO, but haven't had time to install yet...

Mike

It was difficult separating the top hats off the OEM strut because of stubborn nuts. We had to use a rotary cutter on one of them to cut off the nut because the hex hole at the top got too rounded inside and the allen wrench couldn't keep it in place while trying to rotate the nut.

-CiaoBoy

did you change the height ? My set came set with their lowest height setting and I am now finding it far too low as I am scraping everything.

I didn't change the height settings from whatever came in the box. The left front looks lower, but the right front looks high. The left rear also looks high. I've got an appointment to do a height adjustment, an alignment, and corner balancing at Custom Alignment next week.

-CiaoBoy

I didn't change the height settings from whatever came in the box. The left front looks lower, but the right front looks high. The left rear also looks high. I've got an appointment to do a height adjustment, an alignment, and corner balancing at Custom Alignment next week.

Ok. I measured all the A numbers on the susp and all of mine were set to the lowest possible and everything is all even. I think there was some discussion whether the compression/rebound and the heights were set to recommended from the factory but the consensus was to simply remeasure and reset before installation.

Do you always need to get coilovers corner balanced? Simply measuring the heights (either floor to fender or Sock's mounting eye to collar) is not enough is it?

Ok. I measured all the A numbers on the susp and all of mine were set to the lowest possible and everything is all even. I think there was some discussion whether the compression/rebound and the heights were set to recommended from the factory but the consensus was to simply remeasure and reset before installation.

Do you always need to get coilovers corner balanced? Simply measuring the heights (either floor to fender or Sock's mounting eye to collar) is not enough is it?

I thought I read somewhere that coilovers, or any height-adjustable suspension, need to be corner-balanced after installation.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/cornerbalance.htm

-CiaoBoy

I thought I read somewhere that coilovers, or any height-adjustable suspension, need to be corner-balanced after installation.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/cornerbalance.htm

-CiaoBoy

Hi,
Setting the corner balance is a good idea, but not the that important for a street car. The NSX is usually stiff and straight enough that if you set the hide heights even left to right the corner balance will not be too far off. I usually shoot for about 4" on the front jack points and 4.5" on the rear jack points. hope this helps, Cheers, Shad

Last edited:
Hi,
Setting the corner balance is a good idea, but not the that important for a street car. The NSX is usually stiff and straight enough that if you set the hide heights even left to right the corner balance will not be too far off. I usually shoot for about 4" on the front jack points and 4.5" on the rear jack points. hope this help, Cheers, Shad

+ 1....and Shad is a car doctor...:wink:

I would NOT recommend simply installing the suspension out of the box. Read the manual and set the compression (harder to do when installed) and rebound as well as grab a tape measure and set the ride heights. I also would not recommend setting the suspension at the lowest recommended settings. Shoot somewhere in the middle, look at the ride height on the car, drive it around for a few days, then decide if you want to lower it more.

+1 on Shad for 4-4.5" of ride height.

Billy

Hi,
Setting the corner balance is a good idea, but not the that important for a street car. The NSX is usually stiff and straight enough that if you set the hide heights even left to right the corner balance will not be too far off. I usually shoot for about 4" on the front jack points and 4.5" on the rear jack points. hope this help, Cheers, Shad

Thanks, Shad, for the advice. I'll try adjusting the height this weekend then. Good seeing you at NSXPO and at SMMR and thanks for all the help over the years so far.

-CiaoBoy

I would NOT recommend simply installing the suspension out of the box. Read the manual and set the compression (harder to do when installed) and rebound as well as grab a tape measure and set the ride heights. I also would not recommend setting the suspension at the lowest recommended settings. Shoot somewhere in the middle, look at the ride height on the car, drive it around for a few days, then decide if you want to lower it more.

+1 on Shad for 4-4.5" of ride height.

Billy

Yeah, I made sure to set the rebound and compression with the tiny tools provided in the box. I chose the KW recommended settings for the NSX, even though I read your post about the more aggressive settings for mountain driving. This weekend I'll give a shot at adjusting the ride height.

Thanks again, Billy, for giving me the ride of a lifetime at SMMR in your white NSX. Catching up to the Radical with you running street tires really opened my eyes. My girlfriend enjoyed being a passenger in your car as well. :)

-CiaoBoy

Hi,

Thanks for the advice Shad and thank you Billy for chiming in as well. Much appreciated.

I forgot what the height was before on the Zanardi+koni so didn't know to set the heights to. I just made sure that they were consistent side to side and went with it. The compression/rebound I adjusted as per billy's thread. I'll use the heights you guys recommend.

The height is very low at the minimum setting, car looks great but wants to kiss every dip :). I'll reopen everything when the new nylox nuts come in and adjust the heights as well as replace the old nuts at the same time.

Back