• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Larger Brake Rotors - NA2 Brake Caliper Bracket Set (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're dealing with a new company specializing in castings, and during a tour of their factory we found they produce Automobile Brake Caliper Brackets for one of their other customers. We spent a few minutes chatting about the possibility of creating exact duplicates of the factory NA2 Brake Caliper Brackets for NSX, using the same material, finish, and production process.

NA2 (1997-2005) NSX's have approx 1" larger brake discs than NA1 (1991-1996) NSX's, this spacing is achieved using different caliper brackets, which attach the brake caliper to the spindle. Installing a set of NA2 caliper brackets onto an NA1 NSX will allow you to use larger NA2 brake discs, while the brake pads are the same size and shape for both NA1 and NA2 NSX's.

NA2 Larger Brackets:

attachment.php

Comparison of the two discs (NA2 left, NA1 right):

attachment.php

The Larger NA2 discs fill out the wheel face better, and also offering increased heat dissipation at the track; cost for new rotors is similar, so this is a great product for your next brake change. Since these are a factory-sized part, you don't have to worry about spare pads or discs in the future, use any 1997-2005 discs, and use any pads.

Since we would like to replicate the factory production method, the upfront cost is significant, simply creating this type of OEM-quality mold is around $6500 per bracket, and all four brackets are unique. We're looking at $26k in upfront costs to proceed, a huge sum to create an OEM-quality part.

If we see there is enough interest in this type of product we're looking at about a 3-4 month timeline until we can have our first batch delivered. Of course, we would need to see significant interest.

We're targetting the following:
-Complete set of Four NA2 Brake Caliper Brackets (front and rear), We will not Split Sets
-Cost is $349.95 for the Complete set of NA2 Brake Caliper Brackets, US Shipping is Included.
-International Shipping available at actual cost.

Interest List Only, No Money will be Collected:
1. Scorp965
2. You?

Attachments

• wheelbrake.jpg
    wheelbrake.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 812
  • na1rotors.jpg
    na1rotors.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 798
Last edited:
So, for us 1991-1996 guys, these brackets would allow us to run '97+ rotors with the 1991-1996 calipers?

Caliper would be 1991-1996 (no change)
Rotors would be 1997+ (bigger)
Pad would be 1991-1996?

I would be interested. The na2 uses the same caliper as the na1 ?

Pads are the same, physically they're the same size and shape, but the piston sizes are slightly larger on NA2 brakes; of course, the ABS system is also different.

The NA2 NSX-R uses the NA1 NSX piston size in the front, and the NA2 piston in the rear, with the larger rotors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a set of OEM NA2 caliper brackets and front NA2 calipers. The front NA1 caliper will bolt up fine to the NA2 bracket. However, the rear NA1 caliper will need some shaving down to fit the NA2 caliper bracket as the shape between the NA1 and NA2 rear caliper is slightly different. The NA1 rear caliper rubs the NA2 bracket if you don't shave it down. At least that is how it is on my set. If you can confirm this, then make a NA2 rear replica bracket with slight modifications to allow both NA2 and NA1 rear calipers to fit that would be ideal I think.

There should be enough slack so that this isn't necessary, perhaps someone who has done the NA2 bracket conversion can chime in.

You will need longer brake lines. I have the racing brake setup using their type of bracket. It will offset the caliber like scorp said and I have the 97 rotors front and rear..The rears are really larger, using the same factory pads etc.

Last edited:
Honda and RB (probaly lower quality or heavier?) already make this,

Why not try to make it out of forged or billet aluminum or something to save unsprung weight?

if its billet couldn't it be done on a CNC or water cutter on a digital diagram and not need a casting then?

RB might sell you rights to there casting if they are no longer get much from it?

Sorry Im not an engineer or anthing just trying to give you ideas that might seperate your product from the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back