• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Late Gen NSX Retractable License Plate

I hope this helps someone after me, I couldn't find the "how to" so had to wing it. This may not be the only way but it's fairly simple and after a lot of trial and error, I got the SOS remote license plate kit to work with my late model car. The problem with the later cars is the AC sensor, which was located right where we don't want it to be for this purpose. The solution is a "drop down" bracket fabricated from 3/4" aluminum stock available at your local Ace Hardware. This allows the electric motor of the retractable license plate kit to sit below the AC sensor. After a lot of cutting fitting, re-cutting, re-fitting etc, it all juuuuust fits. No alterations to stock, in case you were wondering.

It uses the 2 frame brackets from the manually adjustable SOS license plate kit, and combines my home made bracket with the electric license plate driver. The plate driver is mounted upside down so the plate flops down, not up. Throw away the mounting bar that comes with the electric license plate kit - it's too short and too flimsy.

A bit crowded in there...the SOS license plate bracket pieces mounted to stock mounting points. I did shim it down at the front mounting point just a bit...in the end one rubber washer, one steel washer.

16314491725_bff27db96a_z.jpg

The key to the problem is the aluminum drop down bracket to provide the clearance. On the 4th try I got the dimensions for dropping exactly as I wanted them...1st one, several hours, next one, 15 minutes, lol...

15692074804_647a9d7aef_c.jpg

Note right corner of aluminum bracket is not yet rounded off... I ended up moving the mount back and use the factory slot just below where I drilled my own hole in the electric mounting bracket track. This was V3 of 4.

16128634327_7ba60d2f44_c.jpg

The stick on rubber pad that comes with the kit mounted on the backside of the plate where it rests against the cross bar completes the installation.

And finally the obligatory video,

Last edited:
Very James Bond. Cool.

Back