• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Late Model Automatic

Checked it out...the flywheel comes with the clutch...

and yes labor depends on where you go, I'm lucky to have a guy that is amazing and relatively cheap...SOS single plate installed was $2200.

instantly a better car...

yeah, the auto tranny doesn't hold power very well and shifts so harsh!

Gotcha, that's right - that's SOS's clutch - not the OEM - OEM is much more about 2 times that. Another reason to go to SOS. Thanks,

gotcha, that's right - that's sos's clutch - not the oem - oem is much more about 2 times that. Another reason to go to sos. Thanks,

+ 2 :d

Lots of people for get about the SOS/RPS option...seriously makes the car accelerate better...IMHO one of the best options. I bought my NSX from my cousin and he drove it for the first time in 8 months and he was floored by how much better it felt.

to the OP...getting an automatic is definitely your choice. If people want to flame you for it, let them. I wouldn't admit to being so lazy as to learn how to drive stick though. I honestly know why I prefer a manual tranny to an automatic when I'm coming up to a corner...or through some twisties...

good luck and remember whatever choice you make, its ultimately you that has to drive it.

Hi guys. Yeah thats my NSX thats for sale. I needed a little more practical car and am trying to shed a lot of unnecesary debt at the same time so I had to give up my nsx. I agree with what these guys said. The nsx in auto will be harder to selll since everyone wants a stick. I had mine up for sale since February and finaly had to trade it in since I wasnt getting many great offers. The front bumper was hit. Another thing to note. When I traded my nsx in is they measured the paint on the car and it was thicker in the rear than other parts of the car. I have only had the front bu,per fixed It is the original body parts, but the original dealer Acura of Las Vgeas on Sahara might have scratched it and repainted it without telling anyone. I would never go to Acura on Sahara again. I saw the guy measure the paint and it showed twice as thick as the roof and a few other areas. So i thought you should know this since the dealer wont tell you. And the original Acura dealer told me. Car runs fine. But in manual mode there is a slight hesitation at about 3000 rpm. Its is small lag barely noticeable. Dealer looked at it a while back and he says nothings wrong It think its a small computer lag that the automatic has trouble controlling due to the supercharger but the car does run fine and it doesnt do it in Drive mode, only in manual mode in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Helijoe,

What would you say the performance of the automatic car was with the SC in relation to a manual NSX? Any idea?

I'm curious how fast that SC makes an automatic...

Unfortunately I never have had a chance to drive a stick NSX so I can compare. I also didnt know anything about NSX's when I bought it. I didnt realise until after that the automatic is not desireable. If I could do it again I wiould definitely have bought a stick. The power with the supercharger in the automatic was smooth and felt great. I felt the car didnt have a lot of low end tourque but once you get up to speed and add power it takes off. I never drove the car hard and only opened it up a few times. I was concerned that the supercharge might damage the trnasmission since I read so many stories that the Honda automatic wasnt that strong. Mechanicaly that car was in great condition when I left it.

I have not seen anyone tell this "poor" guy that theese fantastic late NSX automatic (sportshift) were the first cars with paddle on the wheel for manual gear shifting which most super cars have today.

I really love this sportshift on mine and I think they will be more desirable in the future because they probably are nicer driven..

.....so, my advice, buy a sportshift! :)
Björn

I would avoid any Automatic with a Comptech SuperCharger. From what I have heard, they will eventually destroy your transmission, unless they are coupled to a level 10 transmission.

I would avoid any Automatic with a Comptech SuperCharger. From what I have heard, they will eventually destroy your transmission, unless they are coupled to a level 10 transmission.

I agree completely!
Besides that, buying an aut, it should be all stock! That's what I believe when it comes to the day you want to sell it.

I believe that it is that much harder when you decide to sell it later! :confused:

Kinda off-topic but what is your girl in your avatar doing? haha :biggrin:

FORGET the Automatic - it's like Danny Devito's role in Twins :wink: The ugly step-child no one wants and resale sucks. I drive in traffic and still prefer my s2000 manual anyday....the only reason ANYONE should even consider an Auto NSX is if they are physically in-capable (handicapped).

You're physically incapable of leaping tall buildings! Why don't you get an automatic? I'm handi-capable and the only reason I don't have a manual NSX is the govt won't let me drive one. They won't even allow me to have a DSG or SMG. Yet I can change the radio channel while driving with one hand.

Last edited:
I have owned my 95 auto for 4 years and on some occasions, I wished that I had bought a manual. But overall, I'm happy with the auto. However, it's too bad that Honda did not develop a 5 speed auto for the NSX that could also stand the rigors of the NA 2 horsepower. I think that would present the best of both worlds!

I am one that would never buy a sports car with an auto for a number of reasons. Resale is a big one if you are concerned but the car is not even close to the same as a one with a stick.

Here is the other thing. I didn't know how to drive a stick really until 2 years ago when I bought my BMW 335i. I wanted to have a real sports car and see how it felt. I would never go back even with paddles, PDK or Formula 1 trannys. A normal manual transmission is great once you learn how to drive it. Which, is not hard on our cars. My new clutch is butter from Science of Speed and it is super easy to learn on. I live in Vegas and I tought my wife to drive a stick in two weeks. She wasn't an expert by then but she could get around town very easily. The important part is having someone teach the basics/fundamentals and know how everything is working when you shift gears. That way it makes sense when you shift. Don't sweat replacing a clutch. Mine was $1550 brand new with a better flywheel than stock. Don't ever buy a new OEM clutch either. Absolute waste of money.

My take is stop being lazy about it and just learn before you buy an NSX. The NSX is one car you need to own with a third pedal. It isn't fair to you, the car or your enjoyment of the nsx. Don't listen to the guys that say, "I've owned an auto nsx all my ownership and it is just fine." They say that since they don't know any better or because they never bothered to learn as well. You couldn't pay me to replace either of my cars with auto transmission at this point. You can't carve thru the turns with auto. It just isn't the same.

Ask yourself this question, "Why I am buying this car?" If the answer is to not drive and stick it in the garage than get the auto. If you want to drive the car and enjoy it more than don't get the slushbox. It will seem great for a year at the most.

I'm a fan of the manual transmission as well, but I would be stupid to not pick a DSG tranny, PDK or a SMG tranny over a conventional manual tranny. That is the whole secret to the GTR's speed, and the car will be much faster with with the "proper" automatic transmission.

I am one that would never buy a sports car with an auto for a number of reasons. Resale is a big one if you are concerned but the car is not even close to the same as a one with a stick.

Here is the other thing. I didn't know how to drive a stick really until 2 years ago when I bought my BMW 335i. I wanted to have a real sports car and see how it felt. I would never go back even with paddles, PDK or Formula 1 trannys. A normal manual transmission is great once you learn how to drive it. Which, is not hard on our cars. My new clutch is butter from Science of Speed and it is super easy to learn on. I live in Vegas and I tought my wife to drive a stick in two weeks. She wasn't an expert by then but she could get around town very easily. The important part is having someone teach the basics/fundamentals and know how everything is working when you shift gears. That way it makes sense when you shift. Don't sweat replacing a clutch. Mine was $1550 brand new with a better flywheel than stock. Don't ever buy a new OEM clutch either. Absolute waste of money.

My take is stop being lazy about it and just learn before you buy an NSX. The NSX is one car you need to own with a third pedal. It isn't fair to you, the car or your enjoyment of the nsx. Don't listen to the guys that say, "I've owned an auto nsx all my ownership and it is just fine." They say that since they don't know any better or because they never bothered to learn as well. You couldn't pay me to replace either of my cars with auto transmission at this point. You can't carve thru the turns with auto. It just isn't the same.

Ask yourself this question, "Why I am buying this car?" If the answer is to not drive and stick it in the garage than get the auto. If you want to drive the car and enjoy it more than don't get the slushbox. It will seem great for a year at the most.

I generally do not get into pissing matches, but please do not make generalizations about auto owners. Except for my Audi 5000 and my current NSX, I have always driven a manual including my first car. My car is not a garage queen, I have put 45k miles on my car in the 4 years I have owned her. Go ahead and state your preference and the reasons behind it, but it is inappropriate to make generlizations and to criticize others for their prefernce.

Best,

Mario

PS: I do agree with in the performance disadvantage, specifically the problem with tall gears and keeping power when decelerating into tight corners and of course less horse power to work with. As a result, it is difficult to keep up with my friends with manuals on club runs. However, the opportunity for this type of driving does not occur often where I live and drive.

Last edited:
However, the opportunity for this type of driving does not occur often where I live and drive.

This is the one quote I want to argue. You live in Southern California and you say you can't drive "spirted" where you live? Well, California has more road tracks than any other state I have been to. If you had a manual nsx you could actually take to a HPDE and track it and see just how good of a car it is. 90% of the people on prime don't realize how good their car is since they never take it to its limits. THAT is my problem with an automatic. Once you get one you have already predetermined how much fun you will have with your car. There is nothing wrong with taking your car to the track once in awhile. People act like that is a sin when in fact it should be a requirement for our cars. These cars weren't meant to drive doctors to and from work. They were meant to run at high revs push high G forces on turns.

So to the original poster, I say it is just better in the long run to get the manual. Lots of people get Autos for one reason or another but you will get more enjoyment from the car by banging thru the gears. Come to NSXPO and you will see.

TThese cars weren't meant to drive doctors to and from work. They were meant to run at high revs push high G forces on turns.

Amen. ( but in a safe controlled environment of course )

OK

I have an auto, been driving it in Dallas traffic for 7+ years and still love it.
Actually, that's why I seldom drive my motorcycle,,, too much traffic => less fun.

I've driven a ton of manual trans and just can't imagine having the desire to take it out in city traffic. IF..... I lived in a less dense city/traffic, then a stick may make sense for me. however, I can still chirp second gear while holding a cup of coffee in one hand. So, even though an auto is a tad less power, they've tweaked the torque curve for the auto and it's a smooth and enjoyable drive. The auto shifts very hard when going through the gears manually, so don't think it's like driving a chevy with a powerglide. It really depends on what you want.. want to go faster for less money... get a used z06....

Drive both...settle for what you like ..but do not, pass up the auto just because most folks on this forum turn their noses up at it.

Either way, the NSX is the very best balance of sport, reliability, class and timeless motoring all rolled up in a tidy package. It's a win/win which ever choice you make. Good luck.

TD

I agree- if you're in a lot of traffic don't get the manual.
HOWEVER- I feel like if you're going to buy the NSX it's a lot more fun to buy a manual... sport cars are always better manual IMHO.
Whatever makes you happy tho!

People act like that is a sin when in fact it should be a requirement for our cars.
These cars weren't meant to drive doctors to and from work
. They were meant to run at high revs push high G forces on turns.

how bout the doctors who bought the car to go to the track:cool:

This is the one quote I want to argue. You live in Southern California and you say you can't drive "spirted" where you live? Well, California has more road tracks than any other state I have been to. If you had a manual nsx you could actually take to a HPDE and track it and see just how good of a car it is. 90% of the people on prime don't realize how good their car is since they never take it to its limits. THAT is my problem with an automatic. Once you get one you have already predetermined how much fun you will have with your car. There is nothing wrong with taking your car to the track once in awhile. People act like that is a sin when in fact it should be a requirement for our cars. These cars weren't meant to drive doctors to and from work. They were meant to run at high revs push high G forces on turns.

So to the original poster, I say it is just better in the long run to get the manual. Lots of people get Autos for one reason or another but you will get more enjoyment from the car by banging thru the gears. Come to NSXPO and you will see.

I wanted to restart this thread again in that I found out a few things about my 95 automatic when I participated in the HPDE at Spring Mountain Motor Ranch at NSXPO 2010.

First, my automatic did just fine on the track. I was in the novice group and after a few sessions and after learning the track and lines, my car did it’s fare share of passing of NA1’s and NA2’s. In fact, by the second day, nobody passed me. Now granted, driving skill is a factor on the track. However, I have to say that I was surprised at how well my car performed in automatic mode. I did not need to shift into sports mode to be successful on the track.

Second, although I was not able to keep up with the manuals on the long straits (due to less HP) I was able to make up for this on the twisties. However, the manuals (stock) did not leave me in the dust, they only gradually pulled away.

Lastly, on the second day, I developed transmission problems. I lost 3rd gear, and then I lost 1st and 4th, which forced me to stop running. However, even without 3rd gear, I was still passing some cars. My car is currently at Finlay Acura. The initial diagnosis is an electrical defect. The defective part (the name I cannot remember) will take up to five days to obtain. After Finlay replaces that part, they will then be able to determine if there are mechanical problems with the transmission. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the problem was only electrical.

Conclusion, my automatic did very well against the manuals, however, whether or not the stresses of racing with the auto caused the loss of gears is yet to be determined. I did spin out 3 times during my runs, and my transmission problems did occur after these spin outs. Does anyone have experience with automatic transmission failure due to going backwards on spin outs? I heard this somewhere, but I could not confirm this problem.

NSXPO 2010 and the HPDE was great, and in my opinion autos are not as bad as they are made out to be!

Best,

Mario

Last edited:
Earlier this year I picked my 15 y/o son up at a friend's house. I had just had right shoulder surgery and having been stationed in Japan in a previous life I was used to shifting left handed- so I simply crossed over and shifted left handed. He had just gotten his learner's permit so my slung arm seemed like a good excuse to put him on the hot seat. I tossed him the keys and told him to drive home. He had never driven a manual before so he was nervous and not very chatty but he did just fine even with the RPS quad-building clutch and BBSC.

Zero minutes for my son, zero for Oscar, 20 minutes by other accounts.

An AT NSX would be a nice car but not the same car as a MT. If you can live with the HP deficit and an AT is acceptable to you then have at it, enjoy it and welcome to the club. If you are thinking about expanding the performance envelope at all in the future then I would buy the MT. Even with the stiff RPS I don't mind city driving at all but then again Cincinnati is not usually gridlocked like other cites.

Got kids? Maybe a MT will keep it from getting Ferris Bueller'd. But IMHO the NSX is ripe for modding. The design is timeless but the time has passed the powertrain by. And if time passed the MT by then it certainly did so to the AT. As better stated by others the AT is not updatable as the MT. You may think for now that 250HP is acceptable but that may pass, sooner or later.

It's your money afterall. If you do feel after the fact that you made a mistake with an AT then you could sell it and buy an MT. You would presumably however be attached to your AT car at that point though.

ALL that having been said, MT gets my vote.

Ok, first off, I don't know how to drive manual. I'm willing to learn, I love driving so its not a big deal. Just lazy.

So ..... there's a nice late model NSX with low miles that I'm considering. Its .. gasp... an automatic. Very rare obviously. Price is good though.

Am I a retard for considering an auto? If I'm not mistaken, and please correct me if I'm wrong, its a 4-speed and only 250hp versus 280hp for manual.

Ok, flame away!

Do what makes you feel good!! It's totally unimportant what others "think".:biggrin: That's why ice cream is not just made in Vanilla!!:rolleyes: A NSX is a NSX - PERIOD! Enjoy. We have a 96 automatic NSX-T for our granddaughter that she loves (She lives in Hollywood and with that traffic there is no better choice!)

Lonestranger

I am one that would never buy a sports car with an auto for a number of reasons. Resale is a big one if you are concerned but the car is not even close to the same as a one with a stick. This is simply your subjective opinion.
Here is the other thing. I didn't know how to drive a stick really until 2 years ago. I’ve been driving a manual transmission for forty years. My first car was a ’62 MG Midget. when I bought my BMW 335i. I wanted to have a real sports car and see how it felt. I would never go back even with paddles, PDK or Formula 1 trannys. I assume your (highlighted) statement above was performance related. Why then do you suppose F1 cars use electronically controlled manual sequential transmissions? I’ve had the opportunity to drive a 360 Spider F1, a Maserati Cambiocorsa (manual/sequential), and an EVO MR w/ the dual-clutch transmission; all of which were very enjoyable. There’s my subjective opinion.:biggrin: A normal manual transmission is great once you learn how to drive it. Which, is not hard on our cars. My new clutch is butter from Science of Speed and it is super easy to learn on. I live in Vegas and I tought my wife to drive a stick in two weeks. She wasn't an expert by then but she could get around town very easily. The important part is having someone teach the basics/fundamentals and know how everything is working when you shift gears. That way it makes sense when you shift. Don't sweat replacing a clutch. Mine was $1550 brand new with a better flywheel than stock. Don't ever buy a new OEM clutch either. Absolute waste of money.

My take is stop being lazy about it and just learn before you buy an NSX. The NSX is one car you need to own with a third pedal. It isn't fair to you, the car or your enjoyment of the nsx. Don't listen to the guys that say, "I've owned an auto nsx all my ownership and it is just fine." They say that since they don't know any better or because they never bothered to learn as well. You actually believe that most NSX auto owners have them because they can’t or won’t learn to shift a manual transmission? LOL!! You couldn't pay me to replace either of my cars with auto transmission at this point. You can't carve thru the turns with auto. It just isn't the same.

Ask yourself this question, "Why I am buying this car?" Finally you’re on the right track.:wink: If the answer is to not drive and stick it in the garage than get the auto. That’s the only reason you can come up with to own an auto transmission NSX? You should try rethinking that one. If you want to drive the car and enjoy it more than don't get the slushbox. I daily drove my “slushbox” equipped NSX for almost six years; and I still love the car. As long as you have a compelling reason to buy an NSX auto, you won’t be disappointed. It’s certainly more enjoyable to drive that any other auto transmission car I’ve ever driven. will seem great for a year at the most.

Back