• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leaking shock

A few weeks ago I questioned the forum about my car seeming to dive or pull on braking. I did not really solve this although the advice and comments were great and appreciated. But to continue, I noticed a slight oil stain by the drivers rear tire on the garage floor last week. I figured it to be some motor oil or something that followed the frame or other part that made a path to the location of the drip. But it was from the shock.

Now I think it is possible, likely in fact, that the dive I experienced was a shift in wieght from the left rear to the right front upon braking since without the shock the rear was loose. Any thoughts or experience?

I need to replace the rear shocks now of course. I would appreciate any advice about this. Should I just take it to the dealer here in Dallas or can a competent mechanic replace them? Should I buy Acura equipment or is there good reason to use aftermarket and if so, whose? I am thinking to replace the rear set, but is there any thought or reason to consider the front as well. My car is a 91 with 26K miles.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Bill

Bill,

The shocks are easily replaced. There are a few tricks to it, so a mechanic that knows the NSX is your best bet. I would recommend the Bilsteins from CGI Motorsports. 708-301-9595. Talk to Phil Mirenda. Or go to: http://www.cgimotorsports.com/ He has these made for the NSX and they come with a movable spring perch to allow you to lower the car about an 1" with stock springs if you would like (although not required). Many NSXCA people have them installed and think they are great. You can check out some write-ups/reviews here on NSXPrime also.

If you wish to do the job yourself, private me and I can give you some tips.

HTH,
LarryB

Back