• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leaky wheel

I've got polished 7 spokes on my '91 and had a problem losing air in one rear tire. My tire shop found a leak in the inner rim wall which they thought was a small crack (about 1/4 " long - lost about 5 PSI a day). I sent the wheel to Wheel Collision Center in Bath , PA to have it welded but they just called and told me it's not a crack but rather porous metal and it can't be fixed. Does this make sense to you folks? Is there any history of bad castings on the 7 spokes? Why can't it be welded? Since the wheel is not cracked and runs straight and true, isn't there a sealer that could be applied to the inside surface of the wheel (or even run a can of fix-a-flat)? Thanks for the help.

.....told me it's not a crack but rather porous metal and it can't be fixed.

Not very probable, but possible.

Why can't it be welded?

Actually, it can be welded; however, from a liability standpoint, the wheel repair shop is protecting their reputation should something happen to the wheel. Factory NSX wheels are forged, and post-welding alters the metal's strength considerably.

Since the wheel is not cracked and runs straight and true, isn't there a sealer that could be applied to the inside surface of the wheel (or even run a can of fix-a-flat)?

Yes, three-piece wheels are often sealed with a continuous o-ring and / or silicone sealant at the seam.

Suggestion - if the wheel is really porous as the wheel shop suggests, and this can be proven, you might be able to get Acura to admit "fault" in the manufacture of the wheel and help out financially.

Last edited:
Welding forged wheels!

As a welder, I agee with Andy, the loss of strength at the weld in a forging would make me leary of trusting the re-welded wheel. If the wheel experts won't sign off on it, I would not trust my butt at 150 MPH riding on a wheel that is not 100%.

Is your wheel a stock 16" that you had polished? I see them fairly often for sale, might be cheap insurance to just bite the bullet and replace it.

By "polished" do you mean the factory "blades silver machined finish or chrome looking polished finish? I may have a replacement wheel for you.

What about painting it on the inside to cover the pores?

Thanks for all your input. The wheel is a 17" that I had polished and clear coated so it is not the stock machined finish. The claim from the wheel shop is that when they weld porous wheels they usually find that many more pores open up so it is not worth doing. They said nothing about being concerned about the wheel strength. That's good info! Thanks. Ford had a problem about 10 years ago with porous wheels and used something like a hot melt glue stick to fix the problem. They'd heat the wheel with a heat gun and then melt the sealer onto the back side of the problem area. Anyone familiar with the effectiveness of this fix? (TSB-89-17-3)

Back