• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Learning and Valet keys

H8R

Registered Member
On my recent purchase, I received only 2 keys, neither of which were the learning or valet keys. Upon requesting to have them made at the Acura dealer, I was told I would have to replace the entire immobilizer system at a cost of ~$589.00. :frown:

I can't contact the previous owners due to privacy issues, so how should I procede from here?

Thanks in advance.

help?

I know I'm not the first person to ever have this problem.

Try another less unscrupulous dealer. The valet key is referred to as the "sub" key in dealer lingo. It costs $9.99 to cut if you have one of the early cars without the chip and about $40.00 if the car has the chip in the key.

If you still have difficulty, call my friend Ciro at Delray Acura parts at 561-265-0000 (option 3), tell him Hugh sent you and he'll take care of you.

mrbythatmuch said:
learning or valet keys??? Which years does this apply to?

Starting in 1997 the NSX incorporated those silly anti-theft chips in the keys that "talked" to a lockout system on the car. Standard keys can't be used to start these cars.

I suppose of course you could dig out the chip from one of your keys and epoxy the stupid thing inside the plastic surround of the streering column. That way you could use any properly cut key to start your car since the immobilizer will always be getting a signal from the chip.

My car is a 2000. The Learning key is used to program the remotes and immobilizer from what I understand. They said they could cut a key but without the Learning key for programming, it would not start the car.

H8R said:
They said they could cut a key but without the Learning key for programming, it would not start the car.

They're either full of shit, retarded or most likely a combination of both. You can show them this post if you'd like. :)

Read this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41688

Did you call my buddy Ciro at Delray Acura? He needs a working key with a transponder and $40 and you're all set.

Here's a copy of the Acura Service Bulletin outlining the procedure to duplicate an immobilizer key. Print it and take it to the retards at your stearlership and have them frame it and hang it on their wall. I'll bet any competent locksmith has one of these little gems behind their counters too.

Attachments

• immobilizer.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 43
Thanks, Hugh :smile:

Back