• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leather Steering Wheel Cover - Install Report

For those wanting something a little more substantial to hang on to while engaging the curves, this leather steering wheel cover fits over the stock leather wheel and is very nice.

The stock wheel is a little on the thin side and a mine was a little slick from wear. This cover makes the wheel circumference perfect for my hands.

143-4385_IMG.jpg

I ordered the black wheelskins cover using a CUSTOM measurement of 14 3/8 x 3 3/4 which I would use again. It was a perfect fit with the edges meeting up perfectly when laced up tight.

I purchased it from DC car care, $28.95 + 6 shipping and Wheelskins (located in Berkley, CA) drop shipped, and I had it in 4 days.

Links:

http://www.dccarcare.com/wsorig.html
http://www.wheelskins.com/covers.htm

I modified the install somewhat and used 2 needles to lace up in front AND behind the spokes for a better fit. I already had an extra needle from prior installs so you may want to ask up front for 2 needles when ordering if this is your first. Plan on setting aside a couple of hours for installation.

Of course, it looks like a generic aftermarket accessory, not a cover that is custom-fitted.

For a look that is at least a little bit closer to a custom one, you might want to look into which Honda/Acura models have a size and spoke configuration that matches the NSX wheel. The OEM Honda accessory steering wheel covers that are available for some models do not have stitch holes across the part of the circumference where the steering wheel spokes are, so it looks just a little less "tacked on".

Great idea re Honda/Acura OEM... that was my first step since I have used those covers on 2 other vehicles and they also fit and feel great. Unfortunately, all of them are the 4 spoke design and, well, you get the picture, not a good fit for the NSX wheel configuration. This seemed like a reasonable compromise and I'm pleased with the results even if it doesn't 'look factory'. Useability for me was a higher priority.

Back