• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED Brake lights + error light in dash

I just installed LED brake lights- very bright and instant on BUT
I now get a brake light code on the dash
any ideas how I can eliminate the error code?
Thanks
John

first thing when you say you put in a new brake lamp,

do you mean a NON OEM spoiler with the third brake light built in,

or did you replace the OEM with a new OEM Lamp because some of the LED went out?

well the first one is if you put on a different spoiler like a NSX-r spoiler with the built in LED the lamp is drawing to much current or not enough.

when its pulling a low current the ECU thinks the OEM lamp is bad. so by putting in a new spoiler with a smaller LED lamp theres you problem.

now replaceing the OEM with an OEM you might have to reset the ECU
pull the fuse and let it sit for a few minutes, the put the fuse back in.

start the car, then press the brake the light should not go back on

NOW most LED brake lamps will still work with the wires crossed, but it will show that the lamp is bad on the instrument cluster. so try reversing the wires on the Lamp. hope that may fix it. hope this has helped

after reversing the wires pressing the brake will reset the error

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply-
what I meant is that I replaced the filament bulbs in the rear light assembly with LED replacements; I did not change the high mounted LED brake light assembly.
Any ideas?
Thanks
John

yes thats the problem, the ECU thinks that the Bulbs are bad, or the LED lights
you put in are not for the BRAKES,

the Parking lights have one filament, the Brake Lights are dual filament,

so when you have the parking light on the first filament is on and when you press
the brake the Second filament turns on making it a dual filament Bulb.

you need to make sure that the LED bulb you put in is for
Brake and parking and not just parking.
I know LED bulbs dont have filaments, but they have 2 types of LEDS, one type is for
the parking and the other type is for braking built into the same LED housing

i dont know if I explained it very well

yeah the new LED bulb fits and glows but when you press the brake do they glow brighter?

I mean you need someone to press the brake while you look at the lights. with the parking lights on.
have them press the brake and they should GLow brighter, if they only stay on for parking only then they are not dual stage LED bulbs.

and another thing they might not be pulling the correct ammount of current and the ECU thinks the bulbs are bad

Last edited:
there is a possibility that one of the balasts in your led tails is bad (it was on mine). plug in a regular bulb into the harness along with the leds (one at a time, left then right etc) and if the light on dash goes away you'll have the answer.

Back