• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED Taillights....WHOS going first? eBay

those things are junk. not enough LED's

if you saw how many LED's are on the originals you would agree.

dont do it man :eek:

I made my kit pretty cheap. Just took up a LOT of time to engineer everything. I think those look pretty cheap and flimsy. and +1 on the lack of LED's. They almost look like "euros" but with a red lens the way you can see into them and see every individual LED and mirrored area behind them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was only halfway curious but with most things like that on eBay, im not surprised at the response. The only thing I like is the crystal clear red (modern). I like the LED ones like Alecs and clearcorners, they just dont seem to gel 100% for me personally because they are behind an opaque lens.

But really, photos dont do them justice im sure, and I would really like to see them in person.

Has anyone considered using Electroluminescence strips for tail lights? It would give a perfectly even distribution of light.

Last edited:
Has anyone considered using Electroluminescence strips for tail lights? It would give a perfectly even distribution of light.

curious.... what information can you provide? might be worth looking into as well.
Im usually all about diving in and doing custom work, but for some reason, now that I finally have my dream car of 20 years, I am all tentative to doing anything. And getting a 2nd set of lights to play with is an expensive venture.

http://www.luminousfilm.com

After viewing this site and numerous others in the past 20 minutes, including some YouTube vids... my concern would be how well they will light BEHIND an existing shell of semi opaque red lens. I think a red EL bar behind a clear tail light lens would look outstanding.

The EL's do fade over time however... a long time..but eventually, like a glow stick, become defunct... I'd be curious about replacing the inner car lighting with white EL panels... looks like you would have to cut the EL panel in the same shape of the lens covering the existing bulbs to ensure a nice shape.

Last edited:
Thanks PHOEN$X for the link. I dont think they look THAT bad, but I wouldnt do it. I do wish I could rid the pink reverse lens..but I wouldnt want something crystal clear either because that looks 'el cheapo'.

I think what makes these eBay ones look even worse is the center portion. Anyway, when I wanted to see the lights in person I was really referring to the 'nice' ones like Alecs and others that have used the OEM lens and did a lot of work.

Also, upon examining my '02 tails, they are crystal clear red (oops), its just the lens underneath that shields the bulbs. I ordered some white LED bulbs and hope that those make my taillights a little brighter than whats in there now.

I may try experimenting with some EL, at least for the parking lights. Brake lights will probably require more lumens. The panels with inverter are reasonable.

Besides I have a laser cutter that will make cuts for perfect fitment. Should make the job relatively easy.

I may try experimenting with some EL, at least for the parking lights. Brake lights will probably require more lumens. The panels with inverter are reasonable.

Besides I have a laser cutter that will make cuts for perfect fitment. Should make the job relatively easy.

if you could make the interior lighting thing work i will be the first to line up. Im always looking for something different but cool, but not overboard.

those look super walmart-y. teej that donest belong on your beautiful pristine nsx!

synth18 + is-r has some sexy led taillights. thats the route i would take if i were to do led tails.

I like to stay quiet on these topics but I still need to say this. LED for LED that kit is way overpriced. I can build you a kit using 96 LEDs and installed in a brand new OEM tail light for around a $1000.

Please check out my vendor thread at http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148614

I've built custom kits which are very competitive in price. If I was to build a similar kit to the ebay one I'll probably charge around $150 or less.

synth18 does have nice LED taillights! I built them for him :biggrin:

I've ran across your thread in the past...wasnt sure if you were still doing them or not. Yeah, this eBay post was just to see what the consensus was. I already knew the custom jobs were far superior.... but honestly I did forget about you.

I look at Clearcorners.com and think "damn, I know someone on Prime does them for less...everything on this site is a rip off". hehe

We may need to talk in the near future.

those look super walmart-y. teej that donest belong on your beautiful pristine nsx!

synth18 + is-r has some sexy led taillights. thats the route i would take if i were to do led tails.

I still dont think they look that bad, if you take away that hideous center piece. But yeah, I had zero plans to buy them... I was just curious.

I've ran across your thread in the past...wasnt sure if you were still doing them or not. Yeah, this eBay post was just to see what the consensus was. I already knew the custom jobs were far superior.... but honestly I did forget about you.

I look at Clearcorners.com and think "damn, I know someone on Prime does them for less...everything on this site is a rip off". hehe

We may need to talk in the near future.

I hibernate in winter for the snow boarding season so you probably stopped by then! Be sure to check out the vendor section or subscribe to my thread. I've done 3 group buys already, each with mind blowing savings!

PM him for details. He'll spell it out for ya. Im still saving up ^_^. His thread has some details as well

Last edited:
Back