• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Left foot braking (LFB)

Hey guys,
I've been trying to open a thread on this topic for a while, but this time not on the actual technique but rather on how are fairing on your NSX at the track while LFB?

See, I have been doing LFB since the first day I learned how to drive, it just made sence to me and hadn't had a problem untill the NSX.

Even when I still do it, it's kind of tight in there for my two feet to be side by side. I was using it more for trail braking since the front tires were making the car understeer like nuts. now that the problem it's been fixed I don't used too much for the same reason that there is little space.

You guys have this problem too?

-MSR

I've used the LFB technique since autocrossing a turbo car back in the 1980's.

I have size 10 feet, so wearing driving or at least boat shoes does help a lot.

Brian

I can't do it in the NSX, just not enough room for me. Heel and toe is tight for me and have to roll my foot over to blip it with the side of my foot like Senna (who by the way never left foot braked even coming from a go-kart background).

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8By2AEsGAhU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't have any issues getting my feet where they need to be, but I could see that getting tricky with a slightly wider shoe. I usually err towards indoor soccer flats or something similar if not purpose-made driving shoes. Honestly though, I haven't really run into many situations in the NSX where I've thought "I could have done that faster left-foot braking".

I also find room lacking with my big size 13 feet, but have done several LFB exercises. I didn't see much of an improvement. I have since gone back to just using the left foot only for trail braking and clutch duty.

I was thinking on maybe bending the brake pedal towards the middle, the should give me an extra inch or so.

Custom pedal covers?

you'd have to bend the pedal below where it connects to the pushrod or risk mis-aligning it. I'm not sure how easy that would be with the pedal assy. in the car.

I don't have the patience to learn lfb:redface: I also don't classicly heel toe...I have a razo pedal set that extends the brake pedal closer to the gas and I cover both with the top of my foot.So far I have had no problems applying sufficient pressure to the brake pedal using just the extended corner.

I left foot brake some corners on most of the tracks I visit when I don't need to downshift, for those corners I heel toe.

I run the Autovation Pedals which make heel toe a little nicer. I also come from a karting background, so the left foot braking is a bit easier after years of doing it in the kart.

I don't have the patience to learn lfb:redface: I also don't classicly heel toe...I have a razo pedal set that extends the brake pedal closer to the gas and I cover both with the top of my foot.So far I have had no problems applying sufficient pressure to the brake pedal using just the extended corner.

That's the same thing I do, my toe actually blips the throttle instead of my heel. I have too much metal in my ankle to do it comfortably the conventional way.

I don't bother with LFB, to be honest I question it's benefit in a non-turbo car... I'm sure it will make sense years down the road probably.

You don't actually use your heel to "heel & toe" , it's just the name given to the technique .
It's more like the outside of your foot that does the work.
Then again if you have tiny feet, maybe then your heel may come in contact with gas pedal?

-MSR

You don't actually use your heel to "heel & toe" , it's just the name given to the technique .
It's more like the outside of your foot that does the work.
Then again if you have tiny feet, maybe then your heel may come in contact with gas pedal?

-MSR

I can use the side of my foot in the NSX because the pedals are so close, in my MR2 it's for-real toe on the brake, heel on the gas. Fortunately, after 20 years of soccer I'm "blessed" with very limber ankles....which will promptly turn arthritic at 40 or so I'm guessing.

Back