• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

License plate question

I'm asking for some insight/thoughts from other members about a dillemma that I have run into. In my state, vehicles that are 20 years or older can apply for collector/classic car license plates. Also, if you can prove that less than 500 specimens of a particular model were made in a year you can also apply for a collector car plate (if it is at least 10 years old). There are two benefits of this unique license plate status:

1) You only have to have one plate on your vehicle. Thus, I avoid the hassle of police officers harrassing me about the lack of a front plate which is normally required.
2) No more renewals or fees. Pay once and your done. I believe the cost is $25, then you're done as long as you live in the state.

I am seriously considering this licensing option because of #1. It seems the police officers in my area are becoming more aggressive with front plate violators in an attempt to raise revenues (this may just be my perspective from colleagues' anecdotes). #2 isn't a big deal but is kind of nice.

The dillemma is that many people have no idea how old my car is. It seems that many in the local community "know" that vehicles with such collector/classic plates are 20 years old. I have so admit that I do enjoy surprising people with the age of vehicle. Like others have experienced, many believe the NSX is way newer than it really is. I think I can get over this... I think..

Questions:
1) If your state offered such a feature would you change your plates?
2) Do you believe that aging the vehicle would have any unforseen effects? Such as reducing the desirability or value of our cars?

I personally like surprising people with how old my car is. Here is my custom license plate. It is a bit blurry, but my digital camera finally packed it in so I can't take more.
It also works as a double entendre.
STA70464.jpg

Back